Nearly Half Of 2023 Toyota GR Supra Buyers Opted For Manual Transmission

DEupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'06 RX-8, '23 BRZ, '24 3.0 MT
But when a car comes with the paddles already (granted, we don't get the cool sequential whine), it's junk. Sequentials and paddle shifters are only cool if the car began life with a MT.

Too funny 😂
Where have journalist or people said the paddles on the Supra were junk? Of the dozens of reviews I've watched/read, everyone says the zf8 automatic is the best automatic on the market. The journalists who have kicked and screamed for the manual Supra usually admit the automatic transmission is a great automatic transmission.
Sponsored

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
I find it interesting that people with manual transmissions love them because of "engagement". Then, at some point, a lot of us start to wish we had a sequential, because now we're in "race car" mode. Especially one with fuel/ignition cut so we can gas/brake/shift like Gran Turismo and click off crazy fast lap times. If we get REALLY serious, we'll add air for paddle shifters to keep hands on the wheel then entire time.

But when a car comes with the paddles already (granted, we don't get the cool sequential whine), it's junk. Sequentials and paddle shifters are only cool if the car began life with a MT.

Too funny 😂
Mental paddle shifters is the future. You just think about it and it clicks the paddles for you but you still feel engaged. I only chose a 6MT because this is my garage queen/weekend fun car. The debate is over about which one is faster because it's been the ZF8 and it's buttery smooth lightning fast gears. Buying a car to be the fastest or be better is a losing game. Driving is such a personal experience. What I happen to find engaging, someone else might find to be stupid. It's like buying a pair of jeans and they fit you well, but they don't fit the next person that well. I have pulled up to 2 MKV Supra owners on separate occasions at a red light and they ask me if mine is a manual and that they want to trade in their Autos. I flat out tell them don't do it because it's not worth the cost of the trade in (taxes, new loan, etc) Enjoy your rides guys. Both are amazing.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes... yes it is.
I'm going on a rant, but we also forget that Toyota is not a charity or non profit. They are a business with shareholders. Their main focus is to sell cars. Why they didn't offer the 6MT at launch and now suddenly 3 years later we may never know. These Manual sales numbers show some people want to buy a manual before they get discontinued and before we get shoved into EVs the next 7-10 years.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Personally, I think driving a manual transmission as a daily vehicle is stupid. Also to note, I daily drive a manual and I am stupid.
You must have a stronger left foot than Messi himself.

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
Personally, I think driving a manual transmission as a daily vehicle is stupid. Also to note, I daily drive a manual and I am stupid.
Manual daily stupid gang gang.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Mental paddle shifters is the future. You just think about it and it clicks the paddles for you but you still feel engaged. I only chose a 6MT because this is my garage queen/weekend fun car. The debate is over about which one is faster because it's been the ZF8 and it's buttery smooth lightning fast gears. Buying a car to be the fastest or be better is a losing game. Driving is such a personal experience. What I happen to find engaging, someone else might find to be stupid. It's like buying a pair of jeans and they fit you well, but they don't fit the next person that well. I have pulled up to 2 MKV Supra owners on separate occasions at a red light and they ask me if mine is a manual and that they want to trade in their Autos. I flat out tell them don't do it because it's not worth the cost of the trade in (taxes, new loan, etc) Enjoy your rides guys. Both are amazing.
My post wasn't having anything to do with the manual vs auto debate, but we appreciate the input.

I'm going on a rant, but we also forget that Toyota is not a charity or non profit. They are a business with shareholders. Their main focus is to sell cars. Why they didn't offer the 6MT at launch and now suddenly 3 years later we may never know. These Manual sales numbers show some people want to buy a manual before they get discontinued and before we get shoved into EVs the next 7-10 years.
I'm pretty sure it's so they could sell cars based on hype. Then sell more cars based on new hype. Had MT cars been avail in the beginning, less cars would have been sold. Hell, you have people buying the AT... then selling it and buying ANOTHER Supra because it's MT. Well done.

I have MT cars and AT cars and trade off which I drive, depending on mood. I must be like stupid x4. As evidenced by my posts in this forum. :dunno:

kern417

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 440i
I find it interesting that people with manual transmissions love them because of "engagement". Then, at some point, a lot of us start to wish we had a sequential, because now we're in "race car" mode. Especially one with fuel/ignition cut so we can gas/brake/shift like Gran Turismo and click off crazy fast lap times. If we get REALLY serious, we'll add air for paddle shifters to keep hands on the wheel then entire time.

Too funny 😂
That's not the case at all. You don't see a bunch of people swapping street cars for sequentials because it is "fun." It's usually if you're at the limit of the trans and no upgrades are available, then you go to something that can be built and handle the abuse.

Have you seen a 400hp car with a sequential?

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's not the case at all. You don't see a bunch of people swapping street cars for sequentials because it is "fun." It's usually if you're at the limit of the trans and no upgrades are available, then you go to something that can be built and handle the abuse.

Have you seen a 400hp car with a sequential?
By any chance are you the same Kern417 from YouTube with the automotive and bmw channel? If so you the man by the way. I've learned so much from you the last couple of years in reference to the B58 or upgrades in general.