The Drive: Toyota Supra Sales Plunged Nearly 50 Percent in 2023

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
1704325058490.png

lol tell this author to get a new job. a car's demand can't be purely measured by sales numbers. if toyota decided to make fewer supras, then what do you think that will do to the sales numbers?

a better industry measurement is number of days the car spends on the dealer lot. recent supras haven't had issues selling. most dealers have a wait list.

Crypto79

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 MT, 1997 sc300 5 Speed
I guarantee someone at corporate did a sales projection anticipating a slowing that befalls many older model sports cars and put in production thresholds to match the curve. Iā€™m sure they realized they would create demand but they wouldnā€™t get stuck with inventory like the have in the past. Hell Europe sold out for the year already.

they could also have less line time in their contact at the end with magna steyr anticipating the downturn years ago and their option or mod prices arenā€™t worth it due to production demands on other products.

STi_to_GRzupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra MT Premium, 2021 4Runner TRD Pro
Funny how this article make it seem like Supras are just seating on dealerships (30+ days) and you can easily walk in to any dealership and drive off with one.

Anyway, I enjoy this car a lot. So if it sells or not, it doesnā€™t affect me šŸ˜

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
My 2024 was on the "lot" for two days. That was the first Supra I had located that was on the lot. The vast majority were reserved. The majority of people who were responding to the article in that website were implying that the Supra's weren't selling because they aren't wanted, yet Car & Driver magazine lists the GR Supra as an "Editor's Choice" for good reason. And then there are those who insist that a new Corvette can be bought for only $5000 more than a Supra. You want big electronics problems? Get a Corvette.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
This is ridiculous. The production dropped significantly and pretty much matches their number sold. Haven't heard any 3.0 Supras sitting on the lot.
It literally took me 5 months of calling around the country to locate a 2023 6MT without a $20k markup and the ones I did find were not 6MTs. I got so tired of calling countless dealerships I was about to get over it. Trust me enough people want to buy and/or build one, but the dealership markups and low production numbers don't help YTD sales.

Illest1Five

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Supra MT 45th Anniversary, '06 Impreza STI
Year-over-year sales may be down but without sell-through or sale velocity data, the cause of drop in sales can't be determined.

Given how 20+ dealers I've reached out to in the last 12 months had no new Supras in the lot with most allocations were already reserved, I would attribute the drop in sales because of supply, not demand.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
If the Supra abruptly ends its going to be because of half baked articles like this, the shitty economy and Toyota pencil pushers that misforcasted demand. And history is going to repeat it self. Sale will end in NA then Japan will have it for a couple more years then gone.

Crypto79

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 MT, 1997 sc300 5 Speed
If the Supra abruptly ends its going to be because of half baked articles like this, the shitty economy and Toyota pencil pushers that misforcasted demand. And history is going to repeat it self. Sale will end in NA then Japan will have it for a couple more years then gone.
That could only happen if they were made in Japan. Without the American market there would be no point in keeping the production contract going in Austria. They are paying someone else to build them, there is very specific ratios required to justify or itā€™ll just stop. No way they would keep a line tooled for Supras just to make a few and the costs to shift lines should not be underestimated, that is why Toyota and Honda and the like make their cars in batches
Sponsored