Looking at possibly getting a Supra

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
I looked on Turo and those sites. There is nothing around me as I live in the Buffalo area.
That doesn't surprise me. When Turo was still young, I had to go to Los Angeles to rent any exotic car (like the McLaren 570S Spider - my first rental), but gradually, San Diego had far more choices. Supras are not always available, but when they are, the rental cost is very reasonable.
Sponsored

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Sounds like you know what you are getting into. I've owned my 3.0 for over 50k miles. First thing I did was get an MMI for Android Auto. Easy to install, works great, even has wireless AA. Dual climate sync, can't say I've even noticed it, but maybe that's more personal than I think. No outside trunk button, definitely garbage, but not worth cancelling the car over.

For power, it's definitely different person to person. I have a 2021 and I've never felt like I needed more power. It's plenty to do anything you described. If you want to go faster, get a motorcycle, it's a lot cheaper.

For just roads, you probably don't need to upgrade the brakes/fluid, but it will give better pedal feel/bite(required for track days). Tires are always the best upgrade imo, but like you said, square setup is what people like here, including myself. Titan makes some great wheels, but you can do a lot of shopping around depending on your budget. You would also need spacers or coilovers to avoid the tire rubbing on the front oem spring perches.

For a car at this price point it handles phenomenally. Like others have said, just get your ass in a seat. Or if you are near the Glen, go to a track day and ride along with someone who has one. Pretty sure @nibble is an instructor. Good luck!
Come to glen this weekend. will give you ride if time permits. ;)

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Looking at possibly getting a Supra, but I am not sure if it is the right car for me. I have test drove a 2.0 and a Anniversary edition that was auto that was offered to me at 5k below MSRP, but without being able to really getting some decent seat time it's hard to know if this is the right direction.

First, I think I only want one in manual for the driver engagement. I do have a possible line on one coming in in a few weeks. I currently own a GR86 that I really like. I do think it could use a bit more power, but worried going FI would upset some of the handling characteristics of the car.

Anyways, the negatives I have about the Supra are no Android Auto, lack of dual climate control sync, and the lack of a rear hatch button. None of this is a deal beaker, but annoying.

I have been reading a lot on here about mods and handling. I am not chasing HP but maybe going the JB4 could be an option. What I am looking for in handling is a well balanced neutral car with driver feed back, has limited to no under or over steer and goes where you point it. I do see the Supra might have a reputation for snap over steer and the rear coming out. I'm sure most cars are like this if you push them hard enough though once you add some power.

I am not a track rat, but might track once or twice a year for fun. The nearest tacks are 3 hours away and I don't have fun twisty roads close by me. Those would be a few hours away as well. I do hope to change that in a few years if I can move.

Anyways, for someone who is looking at a manual Supra and more focused on handling, what are the mods I would be looking at to have a fun car on twist fun roads? I keep seeing sway bars, springs or coil overs, camber and alignment, and square stance. What size tires and wheels would work best for my goal if I get a Supra?

Any opinions on if this would be the right car for me or stick to the GR86 and mod it? With ICE cars like these dying off, it might be hard to get into something like these cars in a few years.
The Supra is definitely not the right car for you. I was lucky enough to be able to test drive one back in 2019 and instantly fell in love with it when I drove one. You donā€™t learn to love the car. You either love it or you donā€™t. If you grow to love it, itā€™s not true love. You will end up divorcing it in a short while. Itā€™s like a relationshipā€¦. You should get something elseā€¦. Definitely GR86.

PaulFRDE

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red Supra 3.0 2022, Black BMW 116i 2022
I had a 2016 manual 2.0l BRZ (bought new), went to a 2022 auto 3.0l Supra. Both the European versions.

The BRZ was much more raw to drive, practical with 4 seats, steering feel was excellent, but understeery at the limit, engine was disappointing outside of twisty roads (straights or track), and on the track a lot of things had to be improved (brakes, oil temperature, etc...).

The Supra is more a GT cruiser, refined, engine has great torque, well balanced (no under or oversteering), already very potent on track without any modifications, but steering is dead, at the limit the rear can be tricky, and the car is filled with stupid electronics that will go wrong the instant you think about modifying your car.

In OP case I would stay with the GR86 except if much more torque is desired.

Concerning tires, from my point of view, if you want a fun car, stay with OEM size or go square with 275 width. The Supra already have very good grip from the start, just keep your money for seat time, tracks and maintenance.

OP
OP

RedSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR86
Come to glen this weekend. will give you ride if time permits. ;)
@nibble I was going to try and get there this weekend with my GR86 for my free track day as my 1 year is about to expire, but the HPDE1 was full and I have Saturday and Sunday slammed with my sons Bithday and other things.

If you will be there Friday, I might be able to stretch it. I have my helmet so I am good there.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
@nibble I was going to try and get there this weekend with my GR86 for my free track day as my 1 year is about to expire, but the HPDE1 was full and I have Saturday and Sunday slammed with my sons Bithday and other things.

If you will be there Friday, I might be able to stretch it. I have my helmet so I am good there.
i will be there on friday.

kyleva

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra MT
I looked on Turo and those sites. There is nothing around me as I live in the Buffalo area.
Props on a great idea on getting a (paid) test drive without having to incur any inquiries on your credit report.

saik

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium Tungsten
As an owner since Nov 2021 of the Supra, honestly over the years I've lost the urge to modify the Supra (at least mechanically.) Why? It's not that it's perfect, but it's just really really good out of the box. And yes I understand the irony that you're on a Supra forum, filled with tons of information on modifications.

But man if you end up with the 3.0, try to enjoy it for what it is first. I see the guys here who starts getting deep into suspension mods, changing everything from bushings to control arms, and going full coilover setups, just to deal with the trade offs. Especially if you have a GR86, you'd be spending money to try and simulate the more raw and connected feeling of that car.

OP
OP

RedSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR86
i will be there on friday.
@nibble I believe I will be able to get out these Friday arriving around 9am and can stay until around 2. I can send you a message with my phone number so you have it if this will work for you. And thank you for the offer and help.

Richard Truman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra Preamum
Looking at possibly getting a Supra, but I am not sure if it is the right car for me. I have test drove a 2.0 and a Anniversary edition that was auto that was offered to me at 5k below MSRP, but without being able to really getting some decent seat time it's hard to know if this is the right direction.

First, I think I only want one in manual for the driver engagement. I do have a possible line on one coming in in a few weeks. I currently own a GR86 that I really like. I do think it could use a bit more power, but worried going FI would upset some of the handling characteristics of the car.

Anyways, the negatives I have about the Supra are no Android Auto, lack of dual climate control sync, and the lack of a rear hatch button. None of this is a deal beaker, but annoying.

I have been reading a lot on here about mods and handling. I am not chasing HP but maybe going the JB4 could be an option. What I am looking for in handling is a well balanced neutral car with driver feed back, has limited to no under or over steer and goes where you point it. I do see the Supra might have a reputation for snap over steer and the rear coming out. I'm sure most cars are like this if you push them hard enough though once you add some power.

I am not a track rat, but might track once or twice a year for fun. The nearest tacks are 3 hours away and I don't have fun twisty roads close by me. Those would be a few hours away as well. I do hope to change that in a few years if I can move.

Anyways, for someone who is looking at a manual Supra and more focused on handling, what are the mods I would be looking at to have a fun car on twist fun roads? I keep seeing sway bars, springs or coil overs, camber and alignment, and square stance. What size tires and wheels would work best for my goal if I get a Supra?

Any opinions on if this would be the right car for me or stick to the GR86 and mod it? With ICE cars like these dying off, it might be hard to get into something like these cars in a few years.
Get it while you can Go manual for sure pull the trigger your over thinking it just out out of mine had a good drive slaming gears if you dont have windy roads sit in car drink a beer and dream

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Get it while you can Go manual for sure pull the trigger your over thinking it just out out of mine had a good drive slaming gears if you dont have windy roads sit in car drink a beer and dream
The fuck word salad.

Windy roads bread turn the volume to the kids channel.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
ā€¦ about what life must be like on the outside as you sit in jail.

CafeRacerQueen

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniela
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ā€˜20 M4 CS, ā€˜24 GR Supra 45th LE
Go drive a manual. You wonā€™t want the automatic. I bought my manual ā€˜24 45th Anniversary five months ago. Itā€™s been perfect. First things I did were front sway bar and height adjustable springs, which were donā€™t mostly to stiffen up the ride. Then an alignment with more aggressive setup. I then did 275/305 tires on lighter and wider wheels that scream ā€œJDMā€
I have my rear sway bar and camber plates to go on next in a few weeks as the rear end now feels like itā€™s flexing too much compared to the front, with the stock bar. But the car is extremely engaging to drive on the road, I just want it sharper.

the six speed manual feels great to drive with nice throws and good feeling slick gates. A common complaint is that you canā€™t hammer on it without a grind on the 1-2 but removal of a clutch delay valve (ten minute fix on a lift) resolves that only complaint.

The engine and the sound it makes is intoxicating with modifications. I went with a catted downpipe and a larger diameter catback that retains the exhaust valve and it screams with the valve open. Iā€™m also making modification choices with maximum efficiency of power potential within my chosen criteria.

Add an aftermarket intake like I did for noise and this car is makes all the right sounds.

then thereā€™s the exterior. Itā€™s just a canvas if youā€™re a person that modifies stuff until itā€™s becomes an expression of themselves, vehicular art. Everyone has what they like, but I can honestly say that with a new modifications, Iā€™ve already gotten mine to 90% of my reliving the fast and the furious era years look that I want. I was 17 when fast and the furious came out, and this Supra is my modern take in the JDM/Supra dream that wasnā€™t possible when I was a kid.

I fell in love. Maybe you will do. Give it a try, the manual adds a TON of soul to the car.

IMG_2959_jpg.jpeg

Allenyao09

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' Toyota GR Supra 3.0 MT
I drove a Toyota 86 on track before. It was a track rental with bucket seats and stripped interior (not the GR86 thou). I also tracked my manual Supra fully stock. I would say the Supra is worth every penny of the price premium. The 86 feels underpowered thanks to the torque dip, while the Supra is always on a blast. The manual gear box is a joy to work with. Even the chassis feels more communicative in the Supra as I can clearly tell how much traction I have got. Supra is indeed very tail happy, but you can hardly mess up (even in wet) if you leave the ESC on.

Superooo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2018 Subaru Crosstrek
I used to own an FRS 2012-2015 and have had my 3.0 Supra since 2021. Whenever I drive my friendā€™s FRS, I notice how much lighter the FRS feels. I have driven the GR86 too and that feels light too. In many ways, the GR86 handles better but the Supra is significantly quieter (especially with Pilot 4s tires) and has actual power. Once you get into the 300+ hp you have to start sacrificing lightness.

If you want ultimate handling, get the GR86. If you want the best handling high horsepower car under 100k, the Supra is the answer.
Sponsored