Looking at possibly getting a Supra

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Damn you came to the wrong place to ask. It’s a drivers car. For the money, these are hard to come by. I was BMW cross shopping. Which made it easier for me. The ZF transmission is so damn good, it got me tracking again (after a few years off). I wasn’t planing on that. They didn’t have the manual option in 2022 or I probably would have obsessed myself with that one. Instead I got fixated on silver (phantom) with red and didn’t give up until I found a MSRP one.

I still love every time I get in the damn thing. She’s a freak on a leash, unique, stylish, comfortable, too many pros to list. The few nitpicks are small and every car is going to have some.

Question for everyone. What real sports car can you get for $60k nowadays?

OP
OP

RedSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR86
TLDR - Nibble is an awesome driver.

@nibble I just wanted to thank you for the ride along at Watkins Glen yesterday. It was a treat and I was in awe of how you drove the Supra yesterday. One of my questions was about the Supra being a bit tail happy but you showed you could run the Supra hard and still have good control of the car. Just sitting there and seeing you turn into those corners on a challenging track was pretty amazing.

I want to apologize for cutting your session short. I am not sure why I starting feeling queasy as it has never been an issue in the past. Maybe I should have taken Dramamine LOL. It certainly was not your driving and I knew you would drive harder once you past the white GT3 and there was no more traffic. Again, I apologize for that. My plan was to at least buy you lunch as a thank you. If I get to another NASA event and see you, I will at least try and buy you some lunch or something.

Thinking back about the issues with the ear piece, I had it in my right ear just like I had it in last year when I was driving my GR86. I should have put it in the left side so it would not have been on the windows side. When you were blasting down the straight aways, the wind was so loud I could not hear you. I’m sure if it was in the left ear and not falling down, we could have had a good conversation about IT and computers.

When I was looking over you car, it looked like you were running the stock caliper? Do you have a tune or pushing more HP? I was going to ask a few of these questions after the session and ask how you had your car setup.

Anyways, Yes Windows more then Linux. I work on clients, servers, networking, infrastructure, etc. Windows and Linux in a mixed environment is difficult especially when dealing with security and vendors not supporting or integrating with Linux very well or with specific flavors of Linux. We mainly use Red Hat on the Linux side but just frustrated with Red Hat licensing as of recently. I am not a fan of dealing with Linux on clients, but we need to support it so we try and make everything work. Moving some things to WSL has helped though.

I am holding off with Windows 11 until the end of this year and Server 2025 is released. I’m sure there will be some improvements to 11 like when Windows 10 1809 was released around the same time Server 2019 was released.

Again, I apologize about yesterday but the experience was definitely very positive for me and I appreciate you taking me on the track. I do plan on getting my GR86 to at least one track day this year or at the very least look into finding a car control clinic as I feel I would greatly benefit from that.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota

@nibble I just wanted to thank you for the ride along at Watkins Glen yesterday. It was a treat and I was in awe of how you drove the Supra yesterday. One of my questions was about the Supra being a bit tail happy but you showed you could run the Supra hard and still have good control of the car. Just sitting there and seeing you turn into those corners on a challenging track was pretty amazing.

I want to apologize for cutting your session short. I am not sure why I starting feeling queasy as it has never been an issue in the past. Maybe I should have taken Dramamine LOL. It certainly was not your driving and I knew you would drive harder once you past the white GT3 and there was no more traffic. Again, I apologize for that. My plan was to at least buy you lunch as a thank you. If I get to another NASA event and see you, I will at least try and buy you some lunch or something.

Thinking back about the issues with the ear piece, I had it in my right ear just like I had it in last year when I was driving my GR86. I should have put it in the left side so it would not have been on the windows side. When you were blasting down the straight aways, the wind was so loud I could not hear you. I’m sure if it was in the left ear and not falling down, we could have had a good conversation about IT and computers.

When I was looking over you car, it looked like you were running the stock caliper? Do you have a tune or pushing more HP? I was going to ask a few of these questions after the session and ask how you had your car setup.

Anyways, Yes Windows more then Linux. I work on clients, servers, networking, infrastructure, etc. Windows and Linux in a mixed environment is difficult especially when dealing with security and vendors not supporting or integrating with Linux very well or with specific flavors of Linux. We mainly use Red Hat on the Linux side but just frustrated with Red Hat licensing as of recently. I am not a fan of dealing with Linux on clients, but we need to support it so we try and make everything work. Moving some things to WSL has helped though.

I am holding off with Windows 11 until the end of this year and Server 2025 is released. I’m sure there will be some improvements to 11 like when Windows 10 1809 was released around the same time Server 2019 was released.

Again, I apologize about yesterday but the experience was definitely very positive for me and I appreciate you taking me on the track. I do plan on getting my GR86 to at least one track day this year or at the very least look into finding a car control clinic as I feel I would greatly benefit from that.
Hey. No apology needed. As long as you had fun, That's all it matters. ;) I actually have to apologize because I had to leave you to run DE3 download meeting. Wish we had more time to carry more conversation. Speaking of conversation, conversation on IT during the session as we were going around WGI was fun. :D I tried to distract you from thinking too much but enjoy the ride. As far as setup goes, you could check my pewter build journal but in short, anti-roll bar is only meaningful setup. other than that, brake pad (hawk HP+) and square 18" wheel setup. tire is 220 TW.

I hope you had fun and see you next time at track! ;)

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

@nibble I just wanted to thank you for the ride along at Watkins Glen yesterday.
You won’t have a problem driving and feeling sick. It’s usually just a passenger thang. However
. this car is a lot to handle. If you’re new to the track hobby, MX5 will do wonders. A buddy bought one to get faster (on track). Did a whole season in that sucker. Finally got back in the Supra. Holy đŸ’© đŸ˜± Dude is flying. Best mod he ever bought! If you ever get serious or obsessed with the hobby, buy a momentum car. You won’t regret it.

For any of you that haven’t watched it ☝ 52 mins in or earlier for the last lap @my home track Sebring
. EPIC finish!! Can’t power out if you fcuk up. You’ll see them drive off track rather than touch the brakes and loose that momentum.

So what did you decide? Buy a Supra? 😃

Last edited:
OP
OP

RedSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR86
The other day I put down a $500 deposit on a MT Supra that should be reserved for me. It should be at the dealership in May/June.

As far as tracking the car, it would be too much power for me. I have been discussing with my wife about keeping the GR86 and getting the Supra. The GR86 is the better track car for me as it has less power but still a great car, especially for me being a novice. I can then grow into the Supra.

She does not care if I have both, she is just asking me where I would keep both cars. I guess I should have gone with the 3 car garage.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
The other day I put down a $500 deposit on a MT Supra that should be reserved for me. It should be at the dealership in May/June.

As far as tracking the car, it would be too much power for me. I have been discussing with my wife about keeping the GR86 and getting the Supra. The GR86 is the better track car for me as it has less power but still a great car, especially for me being a novice. I can then grow into the Supra.

She does not care if I have both, she is just asking me where I would keep both cars. I guess I should have gone with the 3 car garage.
Time to get a lift.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black

yup. get a lift.

Vertex

First Name
Vertex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium Supra Matte Storm Gray
yes extra parking

20230922_155052.jpg
Yooo, I am in my local car club and most of the guys in there are, I will put, seasoned lol. I'm the youngest one in their club and I'm not that young IMO (mid 30's) and that looks pretty identical to one of the guys Nomads with the exception of the color that you have up top on the lift. He did do an LS swap and I don't recall what transmission it and that car boogies pretty good and sounds great too! Next time I see it I'll snap some photos and DM or tag you.

Both cars look great!

Also for OP, before my Supra I had a 2021 Mach 1 with all options except recaro seats and, although I did not track the car, I did do 1 autocross event so far co-driving with my good buddy @Traxion in his 22 Supra and had an absolute blast at my first event doing that with him. We are planning on doing a track weekend at the Autobahn Country Club this Sept and that will also be my first track experience. Prior to co-driving with him I'd never even done any autocross or tracking in my life and the only car I had to compare to the Supra as far as power and performance goes was my 21 Mach 1 which is a pretty different car. I thought I did very well personally for my first time and had major improvements every run at the event.

I suppose I could see where coming from the 86 you may feel like the car is to much, however, give it a couple shots and if there is another Supra driver try to just do a ride along so you can get a feel for what they can do. I feel like in no time you wouldn't feel like the car has to much power after a few sessions in the car. It is so easy to get comfortable and pretty confident with the vehicle, or at least, in my experience that is how I felt when I was driving the car.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL

Major congrats on this! You WILL NOT be disappointed!

Couple questions..

What model year does @nibble have, and is the rear suspension stock?
Is your GR86 the second generation, and a manual?

I ask this because the 2023+ MKV has slightly different rear suspension spring & damping rates, along with updated software to take full advantage of it. Depending on his model year, yours will be a little, or a lot, more stable in the rear out of the box (stock for stock), provided the alignment is on point. The other thing to know, is the MT puts power down and builds speed in a different way than the auto. With two fewer gears and a shorter rear diff ratio, you'll be shifting LESS overall, and dipping lower into the RPM band then where the auto typically lives. I think it'll be easier for you to modulate and balance compared to the auto (because it'll never do anything you don't expect), so growing into this car from the 86 will be a very organic progression, or as organic as it can be going from N/A to Turbo.

Do everything you can to take advantage of that free NASA track day the car comes with as well. Even if you're not ready to track it regularly, it'll give you a great taste of what's to come.

OP
OP

RedSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR86
I have been looking into a lift. I would have to raise the garage door rails and probably get a side mounted opener, but that would be in the future possibly.

@FuzzyRev I have a 2023 GR86 with a MT. I will try and get out for the free track day, but I could not take advantage of the one for the GR86 due to membership delays and events filling up quickly.

saik

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium Tungsten
100% this.

I'm middle aged, a non-CEO, and had a lot of track experience in slower cars. But tracking the Supra just once at Sonoma made me realize it's a lot of car to handle and I wasn't ready.

So starting with the GR86 and working your way up is definitely the way to go. Super jelly you can have both. Congrats on the purchase!

Isaleus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT , 2008 Orange GMC Canyon
My supra is the 1st car I am tracking. Best newbie advice I have is to just grab a mentor to ride with you and ride with other people. Ease into trusting tires and trusting brakes. Most people you will meet are there to have fun.
Sponsored

Last edited: