nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
Your second question had to be a joke?

The big circle in the cabin is to steer.
I can't tell if this is a joke response itself, but if you're serious I think you misread my 2nd question pretty bad ;)
Sponsored

OP
OP
nosavingthrow

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
I think I am willing to accept the whirrrrring noise is the fuel pump, but arguably I don't know what type of noises a fuel pump normally makes. I've definitely not owned any other cars that make weird noises when the engine isn't running.

I originally thought it was the auto-leveling headlights calibrating or testing themselves, but didn't seem to be the case when I tried to catch it in the act.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I think I am willing to accept the whirrrrring noise is the fuel pump, but arguably I don't know what type of noises a fuel pump normally makes. I've definitely not owned any other cars that make weird noises when the engine isn't running.

I originally thought it was the auto-leveling headlights calibrating or testing themselves, but didn't seem to be the case when I tried to catch it in the act.
I originally thought the headlights as well but the noise and their movement didnā€™t line up when I watched them. But fuel pump makes sense for this reason, you hear the fuel pump whirring when you turn a car on before you start it. The Supra turns on that same way the moment you unlock it/open the door. Itā€™s not like other cars where you can press the start button without depressing the brake to turn it on before starting it.

Count Mackula

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
I thought it was the throttle body or something in the intake. You can it activate and then go back into its resting position.

I wanted to ask about that sound too. Wtf is it?

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I think it's actually the dampers in the A/C system closing - at least if it's the sounds I often hear inside. You can hear it from every vent if you put your ear against them.

My guess is that part of the "sleep" process of the car is to close all the dampers completely - either to prevent dust, mold, pests, or ??? from entering the cabin. Don't know but I know in my case it's different from the HPFP (which I can also hear if I'm listening for it).

Don't know if there's a full description in the service manual of what all exactly is done during the entry and exit/sleep processes. There certainly isn't a full list in the owners manual. There's several areas that make noise however - fuel pumps, the vapor recycle process (sounds like an electic drill by the gas tank), A/C dampers, wipers "twitch locking", etc.

The headlights only do their "calibration dance" when starting the engine but not when entering or triggering accessory mode in other ways (button without brake).
Sponsored