Damaged clear coat recommendations..

5teeb

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FD RX7 and A90 Supra
I hit a small piece of debris on the highway and the clear coat started peeling off really quickly.. should I get the whole bumper fixed and shot with new clear or should I just try to add some PPF as a bandaid? Lol
20210704_144407.jpg
Sponsored

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Am I seeing this right? Is the paint peeling off here?

Screenshot_20210706-092820_DuckDuckGo.jpg

OP
OP
5teeb

5teeb

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FD RX7 and A90 Supra
It appears to just be the clear coat.. the paint isn't chipping off.

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
Geez, that sucks; if you were to install PPF over that, it'll look even worse to be honest. In your case, you have no choice but to respray it. After you repaint it, you cannot immediately PPF the front bumper on freshly new paint as it takes weeks to for the paint to cure.

A while back in another car I hit an animal which damaged my front bumper. I had to wait 30 days for the new paint to cure (and this was in the summer) before I could apply PPF. Otherwise, when you remove the PPF years down the road, it'll take the clear and\or paint off.

OP
OP
5teeb

5teeb

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FD RX7 and A90 Supra
Geez, that sucks; if you were to install PPF over that, it'll look even worse to be honest. In your case, you have no choice but to respray it. After you repaint it, you cannot immediately PPF the front bumper on freshly new paint as it takes weeks to for the paint to cure.

A while back in another car I hit an animal which damaged my front bumper. I had to wait 30 days for the new paint to cure (and this was in the summer) before I could apply PPF. Otherwise, when you remove the PPF years down the road, it'll take the clear and\or paint off.
That's unfortunate:| not wanting to get that done at the moment.. but I guess I have no other option. Just wanted to get some opinions to see If I could hide it under ppf.

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
That's unfortunate:| not wanting to get that done at the moment.. but I guess I have no other option. Just wanted to get some opinions to see If I could hide it under ppf.
Take it to your local PPF location to see what they say; but when I tried to get another car of mine with mild amounts of rock chips PPFd, they said the smaller ones would hide somewhat, but the larger ones would look worse due to air pockets or bubbles.
Sponsored