Is the 2020 clear coated?

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra launch edition, 1993 rx7
Not true, 040 is in fact still single stage on at least certain vehicles (Tacoma, Tundra, and 4R for example)
I’ve refinished a ton of all of these vehicles and they have never sanded black or shown any signs of single stage. Not saying there aren’t maybe some exclusions but I personally have not seen it. The only color that I’ve had this issue with in the last 10+ years has been fords ruby red due to ford putting the dye in the clear coat and not coating with non dyed clear afterwards.
Sponsored

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
It depends on factory and which vehicle, but you can look at the Toyota responses I posted above as well.

All resprays to my knowledge are to be dual stage however.

nepasupra

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
So fun update...
I have a 2020 red one, got it end of Summer in 2020. I never went over the paint with a microscope to look for the small what look like blemishes like some of these other guys but it looked very good until within 6mos of ownership the front bumper clear coat went into full clear coat failure with huge chunks flaking/falling off. I got the first issue fixed and covered.

Now I have 2 new parts of the car going into clear coat failure, the top front hood and the back bumper. The front hood they are covering but apparently the field rep gave a lot of push back and tried making claim that it was caused by bird droppings.. service manager guess walked him off that cliff.. my car is garage kept.. rinsed off after almost every drive, especially if there was bird dropping.. anyways, the rep, however, made the decision to deny the back bumper and is claiming it is from debris despite service manager showing case history and it is known issue.

Not even full 2yrs of ownership and over half the car is in clear coat failure. I would HIGHLY advise staying FAR AWAY from the 20s Red.. I haven't even received any type of offer from Toyota to "buy back" the car like what I have seen others comment on the forum. I had to open case now with Toyota corp over this and was also encouraged to start bringing up lemon law to get this dealt with. Really sad.

old post: https://www.supramkv.com/threads/2020-red-3-0-supra-clear-coat-peeling-off-on-bumper.9953/

OP
OP
John8

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
I would take this to a higher level in Toyota.

nepasupra

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I would take this to a higher level in Toyota.
I am.. just opened a case with toyota corp. Not sure what else I can really do besides this? Looking at getting legal help next if they don't rectify this quickly.

OP
OP
John8

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
I am.. just opened a case with toyota corp. Not sure what else I can really do besides this? Looking at getting legal help next if they don't rectify this quickly.
I thought there is a 3 year warranty? That is what I have and you had prior issues of the same type.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Toyota has some single stage paint colors. With that said, the vast majority of cars, Toyota or not, have a clear on them.
Single stage STILL has clear. Single stage just means the clear is mixed in with the paint
Sponsored