Worth getting bodywork done to fix small scratch through clear coat?

skimmy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91
Got my '21 back from the dealer for routine maintenance and found this scratch about 3/4" long. Tried compounding and polishing but its through the clear coat so it didn't do much. I am thinking of selling soon, so my question is, is there any downside to getting this fixed at a bodyshop assuming my dealer's insurance covers it all? How do buyers feel about a repainted panel? I've seen a repainted black panel on a buddy's supra and you couldn't tell the difference.

Not sure how much a scratch like this would depreciate the cost when selling. It's retained its value well, so I wouldn't mind coming down $300 for something minor like this. Would save me the headache of taking it into a shop.

scratch.jpg
Sponsored

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Got my '21 back from the dealer for routine maintenance and found this scratch about 3/4" long. Tried compounding and polishing but its through the clear coat so it didn't do much. I am thinking of selling soon, so my question is, is there any downside to getting this fixed at a bodyshop assuming my dealer's insurance covers it all? How do buyers feel about a repainted panel? I've seen a repainted black panel on a buddy's supra and you couldn't tell the difference.

Not sure how much a scratch like this would depreciate the cost when selling. It's retained its value well, so I wouldn't mind coming down $300 for something minor like this. Would save me the headache of taking it into a shop.

scratch.jpg
A lot of dealerships provide paint touch up services for cheap. You might ask them what they charge.

Alternatively, with a bit of effort/patience and a good touchup kit, you can make this alot better on your own. Repainting a panel has its own downsides. If I were buying the car from you, I wouldnā€™t stress this scratch. I donā€™t think itā€™s worth a $300+ repaint.

Davedaveee

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra GR Premium 3.0
Seriously, how does a dealership damage your car so easily in such a short time? We care for our cars, keep them clean, and are gentle with the exterior in many cases and one simple visit and you end up with this damage. Sorry this happened. If I were selling the car anyways I probably wouldn't fix it.
Sponsored