Exhaust w/o Dp

dsipple92

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
Anyone upgrade their exhaust without doing a downpipe? Wanna make it a little louder but not mess with emissions system.

any sound clips of just exhausts W/o dp would be great too!!!
Sponsored

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Just get a catted downpipe if you're worry about emissions. I have that and I don't feel like I need an exhaust for more noise.

OP
OP
dsipple92

dsipple92

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
That is not 50 state legal which messes with the emissions system.

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge

BananaBandolero

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S14, A91
That is not 50 state legal which messes with the emissions system.
Agree, in California you just can't touch the downpipe. Tried to get a modified car through that process once,
no dice, not even close!

Edit: Read the wrong location, thought you were in CA. In Texas I think you get by with a good quality catted downpipe...

Most exhaust videos on manufacturer's or store's pages will be with the stock downpipe unless they say otherwise, so that's a decent source. If it sounds like a truck at idle then probably the downpipe has been changed.

HKS is a popular one, this I'm pretty sure is without downpipe:

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 1995 E36 M3
Has anyone tried passing emissions with a catted downpipe before? This has always been on my mind.

Iā€™d assume if the cats burn clean and the tech wasnā€™t looking for an aftermarket Downpipe, itā€™d be possible :dunno:

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Has anyone tried passing emissions with a catted downpipe before? This has always been on my mind.

Iā€™d assume if the cats burn clean and the tech wasnā€™t looking for an aftermarket Downpipe, itā€™d be possible :dunno:
Iā€™ve passed without any issues here in Northern Virginia with a catted downpipe on all my cars to date. California is obviously a no go on anything emissions related.

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Iā€™ve passed without any issues here in Northern Virginia with a catted downpipe on all my cars to date. California is obviously a no go on anything emissions related.
Yea Iā€™m in California. Iā€™m wondering if most smog spots are competent enough to tell the difference between a stock down pipe and an aftermarket. Unless they have a lift or inspect it closely from the top, Iā€™d say thereā€™s a slight chance of passing visual.

Itā€™s the visual part Iā€™m worried about more so than the emissions, especially if E85 burns cleaner. Gotta love California :banghead:

MYNEWFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Turbulence Gray Supra Premium
Starting January 1, 2019, if your vehicle is less than 4 model years old, you can pay a smog abatement fee instead of getting a smog inspection for the first 8 years that your vehicle is registered.

This is not a NEW Law. New owners do not have to smog their vehicles until 6-8 years.
Diesel vehicles are Still every 2 years.

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AW A90
Youtube has a million exhaust videos and of course a ton of people have added catbacks.

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I know new cars are exempt from smog for a couple of years, thatā€™s a given. I am curious to see how California Supra owners go about SMOG when the time comes. Installing a down pipe is not rocket science, but more of a pain in the ass and an inconvenience to swap in and out. Thereā€™s also ā€œhot smogsā€ but Iā€™d rather do things legit.

Since Supras arenā€™t exactly Civics or Corollas on the street, I wonder if techs see enough of these to tell the difference between stock and aftermarket pipes.