spamthechan

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Prius V, Porsche Boxster
Mine is 2500 over msrp. I was told take it or leave it
I'd take 2500 with some of the prices I've been told. I'd probably even do 5k. Oh well.. seems like 10k and above is what it takes for what's left.
Sponsored

SpyAgent

First Name
DudeLove
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra. Lexus IS, RX, ES and 4runner
I actually got lucky and found a dealership that wanted MSRP only. I almost put $1,000 down (non-refundable) at another dealership that had a markup of 10k. I had a bad foot that day and couldn't go in. Who knew but that bad foot saved me 1 to 10k.

Adkuan89

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Camry 2018
Iā€™m also in line at Longo Toyota with Laura helping me out. Recently got the news of all LE being allocated.

She told me ā€œAs for 3.0s they go into production July and will be in dealers August.ā€œ

Iā€™m fine waiting till the end of the year or early next if Longo holds true to the no markup rule they mentioned. Havenā€™t heard back from her yet if they will still follow down the waitlist on regular orders. I was around 25th in the waitlist in January.

I might not be the first or second batch but on the bright side if any issues pop up on any LE then Iā€™ll expect it hammered out when I get mine.

OP
OP
spamthechan

spamthechan

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Iā€™m also in line at Longo Toyota with Laura helping me out. Recently got the news of all LE being allocated.

She told me ā€œAs for 3.0s they go into production July and will be in dealers August.ā€œ

Iā€™m fine waiting till the end of the year or early next if Longo holds true to the no markup rule they mentioned. Havenā€™t heard back from her yet if they will still follow down the waitlist on regular orders. I was around 25th in the waitlist in January.

I might not be the first or second batch but on the bright side if any issues pop up on any LE then Iā€™ll expect it hammered out when I get mine.
Laura is also helping me out. I feel bad for her as I have been bombarding her but she really can't help with no info from Toyota USA. As far as I know, Longo is the only dealer in town who's doing MSRP.

Really wish Toyota had told the dealers to stick to MSRP because, as I've said before, 10 or even 20k$ over gets you into a completely different price bracket and will kill this car. Toyota worked hard (even went to BMW!) to get the Supra at its price point and it's really a shame the dealers will be the one to negate this.

I, for one, have started looking elsewhere.

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
Laura is also helping me out. I feel bad for her as I have been bombarding her but she really can't help with no info from Toyota USA. As far as I know, Longo is the only dealer in town who's doing MSRP.

Really wish Toyota had told the dealers to stick to MSRP because, as I've said before, 10 or even 20k$ over gets you into a completely different price bracket and will kill this car. Toyota worked hard (even went to BMW!) to get the Supra at its price point and it's really a shame the dealers will be the one to negate this.

I, for one, have started looking elsewhere.
Not much Toyota could do in the U.S. because of our free market. Dealers are separate from Toyota Motor Company and they can price their inventory as they like, with little guidelines in between. It sucks some dealers are counteracting Toyota's work to make the car affordable, but most of them didn't even know a new Supra was coming. Let alone what the Supra is.

Toyota's not alone with this issue either. The last thing I remember, Porsche was having the similar issues with GT cars and some ppl took it a step further: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a23279435/porsche-dealer-deposit-scam-lawsuit/

You got options. If you're having trouble finding a dealer in state that'll sell at MSRP or a "reasonable" markup, you might have to venture out of state. If that doesn't work, got to wait it to see if dealers will discount cars sitting on the lot or wait until the cars start hitting the used market. Picking up a filler car lease and possibly coming back in a year or so isn't a bad option either.

OP
OP
spamthechan

spamthechan

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You got options. If you're having trouble finding a dealer in state that'll sell at MSRP or a "reasonable" markup, you might have to venture out of state. If that doesn't work, got to wait it to see if dealers will discount cars sitting on the lot or wait until the cars start hitting the used market. Picking up a filler car lease and possibly coming back in a year or so isn't a bad option either.
I've looked in a total of four states and nearly 40 dealers now. Toyota can easily place penalties on dealers that do markups. Toyota could also easily tell the dealers how I can go about ordering one in my spec after the Launch, like they have with every other country. They have done neither. Alas the Supra and me were not meant to be.

I'm looking to pick up an Alfa Giulia QV now. Maybe I'll come back to the Supra when the GRMN comes out. But I'm sure that'll be marked up too.

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
I've looked in a total of four states and nearly 40 dealers now. Toyota can easily place penalties on dealers that do markups. Toyota could also easily tell the dealers how I can go about ordering one in my spec after the Launch, like they have with every other country. They have done neither. Alas the Supra and me were not meant to be.

I'm looking to pick up an Alfa Giulia QV now. Maybe I'll come back to the Supra when the GRMN comes out. But I'm sure that'll be marked up too.
Well they could do that, but then things could start getting messy. For example, I'm more than confident if there was a penalty incurred, they would pass that cost off to consumer in some form of an added expense.

Yeah I agree with the frustration of the order process. I'm not the biggest fan of Tesla, but their car ordering process is what I would want other automakers to follow.

Good luck getting the Giuila. I've seen a few in person, and they're very pretty looking cars. Don't see that many on the road down here in Dallas. And I'm waiting on the GRMN model too. Fully expect about the same kind of mark ups. At least the 2020/2021 A90s would had aged a bit and aftermarket parts more readily available to choose from.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase

Hope the giulia works out, other than reliability and depreciation, it is a wonderful car.

thebuster

First Name
Raf
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford Raptor Toyota Supra LE #876

Iā€™ll just tell you I called over 50 dealerships in 5 states before I found mine. It was by pure coincidence as I was only trying to place an order for a premium and they offered me a LE at MSRP. Donā€™t give up!

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S

Damn, that sucks. You can't wait until the supplies stabilize? I would assuming that after contacting 40 dealers, you would have at least found 1 at MSRP, esp the out of state ones.

OP
OP
spamthechan

spamthechan

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Damn, that sucks. You can't wait until the supplies stabilize? I would assuming that after contacting 40 dealers, you would have at least found 1 at MSRP, esp the out of state ones.
I knew back in January I would be moving back to California in August so I contacted Longo first, and then dealers in the San Diego, Los Angeles, Louisville, Nashville and Indiana regions a little later when I found out a) that release date was sometime in July and b) where I was on the Longo wait list. I was willing to go up to $5k over MSRP but not $10k and willing to ship the car if necessary.

And since I am moving, I'm actually selling my current car this week. That's why, after nearly 8 months and almost 40 phone calls and emails, I can't wait any longer.

OP
OP
spamthechan

spamthechan

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hope the giulia works out, other than reliability and depreciation, it is a wonderful car.
Thank you. Hoping to get ahead of the depreciation with the deals going on now or on a secondhand car :headbang:

Who knows, maybe Longo or one of the other dealers will call and tell me they have a Supra for me in the next few weeks :bow:

twarner776

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE, Audi A6
There will always be cases of ADM (additional dealer markup) added for certain cars, and the Supra is no different. If Toyota said only MSRP, dealers would auction the opportunity to buy at MSRP like Dodge dealers did with the Demon. Also working against the Supra is the low overall output. The plant in Austria at max capacity isn't capable of producing that many cars. And Im certain they are not starting at max capacity. They have already said Canada is only in line for another 400ish in 2020 so demand will stay high. Most dealers I talked to were expecting them to trickle in at 3-5 a year for the 1st 2 years. so anyone beyond "5" on a list anywhere will be waiting a while.

So while i hated the idea of over MSRP I made a deal I felt comfortable with, which was only slightly over, and got exactly what I wanted.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
I knew back in January I would be moving back to California in August so I contacted Longo first, and then dealers in the San Diego, Los Angeles, Louisville, Nashville and Indiana regions a little later when I found out a) that release date was sometime in July and b) where I was on the Longo wait list. I was willing to go up to $5k over MSRP but not $10k and willing to ship the car if necessary.

And since I am moving, I'm actually selling my current car this week. That's why, after nearly 8 months and almost 40 phone calls and emails, I can't wait any longer.
How about dealerships in Arizona, Nevada, Oregon and even Washington? Since the car is 50 state compliant, you can buy out of state, drive it back to CA and pay registration/tax at the DMV.
Sponsored