Fitment Issues APR Side Extensions (Resolved)

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
Has anyone recently received their APR side extensions and had significant fitment issues? The rear clips dont capture anything and the first foot of the front looks like the mold is completely off. Did not even bother trying to install the passenger side.

I reached out to APR about it but im curious if anyone else has ran into the same problem recently.

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg
Sponsored

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tesla M3P
YES.

I just went to install mine and they have the same terrible fitment youre seeing.

Did APR ever reply to you? I hit them up via email and IG and am interested to see if theyll do anything about it.

OP
OP
dzeleski

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
YES.

I just went to install mine and they have the same terrible fitment youre seeing.

Did APR ever reply to you? I hit them up via email and IG and am interested to see if theyll do anything about it.
Yes they did. They said this "rarely" happens but since there are now two people something happened to the jig or mold.

What I believe is the issue is that the tabs are much thicker then the OEM plastic skirt. The tabs are not seating in all the way.

Send an email to chris(at)aprperformance(dot)com He was helping me. They gave me permission to try and sand these tabs down because otherwise its an 8 week wait and I have already waited nearly 6 months for $1,800 side skirts not to fit.

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have not, have not had time. Im hoping to get to it Monday night.
Cool ill wait to hear back from you or APR and see what to do next.

OP
OP
dzeleski

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
Cool ill wait to hear back from you or APR and see what to do next.
Alright just got back from dealing with this. I got it to fit, the drivers side is nearly perfect the passenger side is a bit off but its on the car. Im still fairly annoyed that an almost 2k part required any modifications whatsoever to fit but I will speak with APR about that tomorrow.

The deal is the tabs are way to thick and not shaped correctly in some cases. The fender behind the front wheel is the most sensitive because it has the tightest tolerance, this is the front most tab on the skirt. The other tabs go into plastic slots that seem to be much larger then the front tab that is metal. The tab needs to be smaller then 2.70mm in order to properly fit. The key is not to take too much off though because then it wont have a nice tight fit. Go slow and measure as you go.

Front slot tolerance:
IMG_1494.jpg

Example of a shitty tab:
IMG_1506.jpg

Same tab fixed:
IMG_1508.jpg

I ended up sanding down every single tab and making sure it was around 2.5 - 2.6mm. This seemed to get me the best results. The OEM tabs are in between 1.7 and 2.2 mm. Once this is all done and the tabs are engaged put in all of the push pins before doing anything with a drill.

Finally when you go to drill the front two holes make sure you use one hand to push the skirt in to the car and up. The two screws will really help close that front gap but you need to make sure that front tab is 100% flush before you do any drilling. The rear is a bit less of a problem, but if you have issues getting the tab to engage, pull the rear tire off, remove the screw for the liner and hold the plastic behind where the tab goes, it will eventually pop into place.

Only issue I currently have is the passenger side rear seems to be slightly off(you can see a bit of yellow where it should be CF:
IMG_1510.jpg

Otherwise everything looks good now:
IMG_1505.jpg

68956137123__961212D1-7278-45F2-8E27-0F4483091001.jpg

Hope this helps you and anyone else that runs into this issue. If you have any other questions let me know.

OP
OP
dzeleski

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
Wanted to follow up by saying APR was super pleasant to deal with during this process. They made everything right in the end. They said the mold has not changed but they are going to research fitment with a few other cars, its possible something slightly changed on the newer cars as mine is a 22. They also said future parts will have the tabs thinned out closer to oem spec.

If you have this same issue contact them and they will get you taken care of.

OP
OP
dzeleski

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
So I spent a bunch of time thinning out the tabs to your suggested specs. It fits better, but still not perfectly. Sent the info to APR to see what they want to do.

IMG_6554.jpeg

IMG_6556.jpeg
Bummer thats a bit more off then mine are. Mine arent perfect either but thats a much larger gap for sure. Is that with the screws installed up front? If the screws are not installed it will droop down and that gap opens up a bit more. You can try and pull the skirt up a bit towards the sky and see if it closes up.

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bummer thats a bit more off then mine are. Mine arent perfect either but thats a much larger gap for sure. Is that with the screws installed up front? If the screws are not installed it will droop down and that gap opens up a bit more. You can try and pull the skirt up a bit towards the sky and see if it closes up.
Yep, i muscled them as hard as i could and drilled/screwed the front, or they were even more off.

OP
OP
dzeleski

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
Yep, i muscled them as hard as i could and drilled/screwed the front, or they were even more off.
Bummer. Something obviously happened to the mold or the person working the mold. Hopefully they get it sorted.

morfhious3

First Name
hal
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
evo x, isf,explorer eco boost
same issue here.tried for hours.the passenger side big gap. ,didnt even bother the driver side.decided to let someone install it for for $300 including the front lip.still very little minor gap on right side front but hardly noticeable.you really have to go really close like a foot to see that gap.im satisfied overall.
Sponsored