Formula 1 Talk

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
I don’t get what the hate for Stroll is, he’s put in some decent drives. I get he is “spoiled boy with daddy’s money” but I don’t hate him nor his family for it.

As for Max, I too can not stand him. I’ve never ever liked him though I can’t point out one thing about him on why. Just from his interviews and how he talks I just never cared for him….. That said I never wish ill on him or could get hurt…. BUT I don’t mind recognizing talent and he has a fuck ton of it. He is up there at the top with the greatest drivers. Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Alonso, and of course Hamilton. For me he is just so unlikable.

dreams of course but I’d love for them to be in the same car each built around each other and then see who really is better. For 8 years Hamilton just had the best car, now all a sudden it’s Max and not his car lol. RB built a rocketship.

while the championship may look like it’s wrapped up( come on after the first race lolol) I do hope for a great season.
I don’t hate the Strolls, just not a big fan of them. Seem to be more stuck up and arrogant. Just my take.

I don’t want anyone to get hurt on the grid, including Max. I just disliked his driving style the year he “won” his first Championship and how he treated Perez over the past two years. Obviously he is an amazing driver and last season showed he doesn’t need to drive like an asshole to win, he just does that when it’s Lewis next to him.

I don’t think the season is decided at all, but not the best start for everyone but RB and Aston.
Sponsored

MKVDevo

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' Stratosphere Blue Premium 3.0
I don’t get what the hate for Stroll is, he’s put in some decent drives. I get he is “spoiled boy with daddy’s money” but I don’t hate him nor his family for it.

As for Max, I too can not stand him. I’ve never ever liked him though I can’t point out one thing about him on why. Just from his interviews and how he talks I just never cared for him….. That said I never wish ill on him or could get hurt…. BUT I don’t mind recognizing talent and he has a fuck ton of it. He is up there at the top with the greatest drivers. Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Alonso, and of course Hamilton. For me he is just so unlikable.

dreams of course but I’d love for them to be in the same car each built around each other and then see who really is better. For 8 years Hamilton just had the best car, now all a sudden it’s Max and not his car lol. RB built a rocketship.

while the championship may look like it’s wrapped up( come on after the first race lolol) I do hope for a great season.
Hate may be a little extreme, but I just think Stroll drives like an ass. I will give him credit for a gutsy performance last week, but his career is riddled with absent minded driving. As a French Canadian, I remember rooting for him hard in 2018 when I went to Montreal for the GP only to see him wreck on the first lap.

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3.0 MT
Hate may be a little extreme, but I just think Stroll drives like an ass. I will give him credit for a gutsy performance last week, but his career is riddled with absent minded driving. As a French Canadian, I remember rooting for him hard in 2018 when I went to Montreal for the GP only to see him wreck on the first lap.
Half the time it's like he doesn't know that the car has mirrors.

MKVDevo

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' Stratosphere Blue Premium 3.0
Half the time it's like he doesn't know that the car has mirrors.
EXACTLY!!! I applaud Alonso's ability to forget that crap from last year, because I do not think I could do the same.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Formula One foremost is a constructors championship. The driver's championship got added later. But it's all about the teams, who builds the better car. That's why prize money is divided according to team position.

Max is very much like Senna and Schumacher. He doesn't give a F what anyone thinks. He's there to do one thing. Win. And his driving style is just like theirs too.

As far as driver vs car goes, Max has been proving since 2016 he doesn't need the best car to win. He didn't have the best car in 2021, and for at least the first half of 2022 the Ferrari was the better car.
Hamilton proved in 2022 that he's more car dependent. He's always won in a season except last, but he's always had a race winning car. The only season Max didn't win was his rookie season at Torro Rosso.

Like him or not, it doesn't matter. Max is the Senna of today. I liken Hamilton more to Prost. Prost also was more car dependent than Senna. Nothing wrong with it, until you have a lesser car.
I can agree with you opinion fully. I’d like to know 2 hypothetical questions and your honest opinion on them.

1a) Do you believe Max in the Merc last he would’ve won 1 or more races? 1b) Hamilton in the RB last year would’ve taken the title?
reasons people always say things like if Alonso in the Merc he would’ve won, vettel in the Merc he would’ve won, and such and such. I’d Truly like to know swap seats how do you think they fair.

2) this is all hypothetical anyways so RB, Ferrari and Merc join, unlimited budget to build 2 cars, all down to the drivers requests, wants and feedback. Each race the strategy is perfect, tire selection perfect and always the same, getting rid of as many variables as possible, that way it comes down to Max and Lewis. Who do you think comes out on top in a 13 race championship?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I can agree with you opinion fully. I’d like to know 2 hypothetical questions and your honest opinion on them.

1a) Do you believe Max in the Merc last he would’ve won 1 or more races? 1b) Hamilton in the RB last year would’ve taken the title?
reasons people always say things like if Alonso in the Merc he would’ve won, vettel in the Merc he would’ve won, and such and such. I’d Truly like to know swap seats how do you think they fair.

2) this is all hypothetical anyways so RB, Ferrari and Merc join, unlimited budget to build 2 cars, all down to the drivers requests, wants and feedback. Each race the strategy is perfect, tire selection perfect and always the same, getting rid of as many variables as possible, that way it comes down to Max and Lewis. Who do you think comes out on top in a 13 race championship?
1a) yes I think so. Reason for it is because Russell won one. And I rate Max much higher. Hamilton almost won the US GP also. Had they made better strategy calls, the Hungarian and Dutch GP were there for the taking too.
1b) most definitely. Anyone in the top teams could have won in the Red Bull.. Leclerc, Russell, Sainz, Hamilton, Alonso. Not just because it was a good car, but also because Ferrari threw it all away. Max drove impeccably. Maybe the margin would've been smaller, and it might have taken longer, but yes Hamilton would've won.

2) that's how it was before 2021. There was no cost cap. Mercedes had the highest budget of anyone.
It would depend on which 13 races. And if their cars are equal or not. Some cars work better on certain tracks.
In equal cars, I think Max would have it. Again simply because of Russell vs Hamilton last year. Maybe Hamilton has gotten just a tad slower, maybe he's had such good cars for 8 years that he's not as able to drive a bad car as fast as George and Max who just recently had shitty cars, I don't know. But Max is operating at an insane level right now. Something I haven't seen since Schumacher at Ferrari. Or Senna at McLaren. Hamilton at Mercedes doesn't quite make that cut for me for 2 reasons. 1, Rosberg beat him, and he NEVER would've beaten Schumacher in his prime. Not in a million years. 2, Bottas who is a likeable guy, but just an average driver, was able to win a lot of poles and races against Hamilton. Senna had to beat Prost a 3X Champion, and Schumacher's teammates had a few wins here and there, but usually they were miles back. So they stand out. When Max had Ricciardo as a teammate, he was very young, and very new. He's matured, and with that came ridiculous speed, as well as the patience to time overtakes better. The youthful exuberance and impatience is gone, and it made him one of the most complete drivers I've ever seen. Couple that with Newey's cars, Red Bull's excellent strategy team, well holy shit. Talk about a trifecta.

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Finally finished my Netflix series. That confidence like Max has, will be hard to beat. A lot of this is mental. I really believe in any sport, if you feel that confident in yourself, it shows. Max is riding high for sure. Even when Red Bull was behind Mercedes in other seasons, that kid stayed mega solid (mentally) - it showed in Max’s driving. Yuki with Alpha Tauri - the exact opposite. Also, haven’t heard a lot of blame game from Max.

That combined with good management, car setup, teamwork… makes Red Bull mega impressive, imo

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3.0 MT
car setup
Newey is reported to have said that in Bahrain, both RB's had a technical problem & so the drivers were lifting and coasting for practically the entire race - and they still ended up what, 27 and 39 seconds in front of the the Aston?

They certainly have S tier car design/setup.

Burgerman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 3.0 Prem,
So happy for Alonso. FINALLY made the move to the right team at the right time. Lawrence Stroll is obviously a shrewd businessman and has hired the right people (Eric Blandin - Mercedes, Ferrari, RB; Dan Fallows & Andrew Alessi (both RB) so far. He also had Adrian Newey consult (design) the Valkyrie. There’s a lot of talk about Newey leaving RB. You can bet that Stroll already has a plan to pay him away from FIA’s prying eyes.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Finally finished my Netflix series. That confidence like Max has, will be hard to beat. A lot of this is mental. I really believe in any sport, if you feel that confident in yourself, it shows. Max is riding high for sure. Even when Red Bull was behind Mercedes in other seasons, that kid stayed mega solid (mentally) - it showed in Max’s driving. Yuki with Alpha Tauri - the exact opposite. Also, haven’t heard a lot of blame game from Max.

That combined with good management, car setup, teamwork… makes Red Bull mega impressive, imo
No denying his talent and his desire, not to mention fearlessness. But I still can’t stand him. The way he treats his teammates and if the pit crew screw up he’s the first to complain. I’ve been told it’s because of where he is from, like a cultural thing, but I don’t believe that there is a culture that only produces assholes.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Newey is reported to have said that in Bahrain, both RB's had a technical problem & so the drivers were lifting and coasting for practically the entire race - and they still ended up what, 27 and 39 seconds in front of the the Aston?

They certainly have S tier car design/setup.
I thought I read they were coasting more and not pushing to help manage the life of their powertrains. They could have had a few things popping up with the vehicle, but I don’t think they were the main reason why they weren’t pushing.

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3.0 MT
I thought I read they were coasting more and not pushing to help manage the life of their powertrains. They could have had a few things popping up with the vehicle, but I don’t think they were the main reason why they weren’t pushing.
So I attributed more to Newey than I should have - misread the article.

Anyway, rumour-mill ish, but there are two users over on the F1Technical forum who reported that
both RB's had a software problem with the gearbox and had to have their power unit turned down:
Wazari said:
Don't know about the updates, but there was a potentially a big issue with both gearboxes at the last race. Electronics issue caused downshifting issues that could have caused severe damage to the gearbox itself. PU had to be dialed back to mitigate potential damage plus drivers forced to lift before downshifts. A software patch should solve the issue.
Both forum members seem like respected as "insiders" on that Forum - but who knows :dunno:

We do know that both drivers were instructed over the radio to change engine mode (to whatever mode 7 is for RB) and I think the modes can't be changed during the race unless you're trying to save the car because of a technical issue - one would assume that for a technical issue, you're turning the engine down, & it cannot be turned back up during the race. I think I remember Max complaining about shifts pretty early in the race too.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
No denying his talent and his desire, not to mention fearlessness. But I still can’t stand him. The way he treats his teammates and if the pit crew screw up he’s the first to complain. I’ve been told it’s because of where he is from, like a cultural thing, but I don’t believe that there is a culture that only produces assholes.
Yeah they didn’t show a lot of that on Netflix (Max bitching). I think at this level of competition, it brings out the best & worst of anyone. The scrutiny and expectation of perfection is maddening. I think the media could focus on anyone and show the darker side of the sport.

Just my 2 cents and maybe he’s the only dick out there 😜. I’m mega impressed with all these guys and teams.
Sponsored

Last edited: