Formula 1 Talk

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Yeah they didn’t show a lot of that on Netflix (Max bitching). I think at this level of competition, it brings out the best & worst of anyone. The scrutiny and expectation of perfection is maddening. I think the media could focus on anyone and show the darker side of the sport.

Just my 2 cents and maybe he’s the only dick out there 😜. I’m mega impressed with all these guys and teams.
Netflix didn't show any of Max's behavior likely for two reasons, one is that he's the world champion, and the other is that they know if they piss him off they will lose access to him for interviews going forward.

Believe me, he's not the only dick out there and definitely they can all be dicks. Not saying that he's the only guy to not be a good teammate either. But Perez is probably the best teammate there is, he's the Scottie Pippen to Max's MJ. The issue is, Max is okay with Perez being on the winning team, he just doesn't want to help him become a fellow player on the NBA allstar team (I'm referencing the fact that Max hurt Perez's chances of finishing second in the driver standings last season).

There is no denying either of their talents, or the whole team for that matter. I just dislike him and how he acts, at least from what we see. Who knows, maybe he's a great guy in real life.
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Anyway, as someone mentioned before, maybe Max isn't as bad as he comes off. While my job doesn't deal with a ton of international clients, I have had to work with Dutch people before and they do come off as assholes, even though I don't think they are.. Kinda like someone from NY or NJ comes off as an "asshole" compared to someone from the GA area. They are just a product of their culture and other perceive it different. There are multiple Quora and reddits where they talk about Dutch and them being perceived as assholes.

Max is an outstanding driver, if I had to build a team id for sure want him driving my car, but I root against him every race.

I won't say Max is a GOAT, should be in the conversation of GOAT or one of the greats, BUT if he stays in F1 (so many rumors of him leaving after this contract is up and i hope not) I can see him being in that conversation. The thing is when someone is disliked there will always be questions on if he is really the GOAT or not. Hamilton, Verstappen, Senna, Schumacher, Prost and so on If you like them, you'll throw their name in the convo, if not you won't. I read some state the GOAT has to be the best driver of that era and that means beating his teammate by such and such margin that it proves he was better than the car. By that accord Alonso has pretty much "been the GOAT" since 2002 and i don't even put him in conversation as GOAT.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Anyway, as someone mentioned before, maybe Max isn't as bad as he comes off. While my job doesn't deal with a ton of international clients, I have had to work with Dutch people before and they do come off as assholes, even though I don't think they are.. Kinda like someone from NY or NJ comes off as an "asshole" compared to someone from the GA area. They are just a product of their culture and other perceive it different. There are multiple Quora and reddits where they talk about Dutch and them being perceived as assholes.

Max is an outstanding driver, if I had to build a team id for sure want him driving my car, but I root against him every race.

I won't say Max is a GOAT, should be in the conversation of GOAT or one of the greats, BUT if he stays in F1 (so many rumors of him leaving after this contract is up and i hope not) I can see him being in that conversation. The thing is when someone is disliked there will always be questions on if he is really the GOAT or not. Hamilton, Verstappen, Senna, Schumacher, Prost and so on If you like them, you'll throw their name in the convo, if not you won't. I read some state the GOAT has to be the best driver of that era and that means beating his teammate by such and such margin that it proves he was better than the car. By that accord Alonso has pretty much "been the GOAT" since 2002 and i don't even put him in conversation as GOAT.
Wow 😮 what a great perspective! I know in this new world order, we’re not supposed to talk stereotypes, as if they don’t exist. But they do. And that’s okay. No offense and you said it well. I never thought of that and it’s so true. Living down in Florida, there’s a lot of “southern” friendly (sometimes assumed stupid) people. I get it… I work with some Russian/Baltic peeps. Wonderful people! But definitely come across cold and even mean until you know them and can read that personality type. Same with the true NY‘ers. I went to St. Johns in NYC. They told me real quick not to just say hi or wave 👋🏼 at someone if I don’t know them 😂. I was young and dumb… Anyways, spot on brother! I know some Dutch peeps as well. Very opinionated and passionate is a good general stereotype, imo.

And good point @johnnyskids . They definitely only show the good side of Max on Netflix. My wife is an insane Red Bull fan now. She loves Christian Horner 😣. All the team principles come across as sharks that would eat your limb off given any opportunity. I don’t like any of them. But that’s just me. It takes a real asshole to run any of those teams. I get it.

I do like your basketball comparison of the drivers. These guys are all “different“ for sure. Kudos to Mercedes and Red Bull for putting the engineering and drivers together for so long. Complete domination! Same for Michael Schumacher and Ferrari before them… Not sure how they do it. But it’s fun as hell to watch & follow!

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra

I am Dutch, and our culture is simple. We're straight to the point. No sugar coating, no beating around the bush. Some people perceive that as being an asshole, when to us it's the opposite. We respect you enough to tell you like it is. We are very easy when it comes to things like that.

Qualifying looked great. A race with Max starting down the field is sure to be entertaining. Alonso starting P2 will give Perez something to do. Looks to be a great race.
obzlz5279pm01.jpg

Last edited:

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
All the team principles come across as sharks that would eat your limb off given any opportunity. I don’t like any of them. But that’s just me. It takes a real asshole to run any of those teams. I get it.
racefansdotnet-20191114-185252-10.jpg

"But Gene, I don't understand! Mark says he doesn't like any of the the Team Principals. I mean, I can appreciate the hatred for those other wankers, but ME Gene! How could anybody not like ME?!"

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium

"But Gene, I don't understand! Mark says he doesn't like any of the the Team Principals. I mean, I can appreciate the hatred for those other wankers, but ME Gene! How could anybody not like ME?!"
Why did I just read this in Guenther’s voice?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What’s the point of this???

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a43348766/f1-drivers-bicycle-menace-track-walk-ban/?source=nl

And I know… Gunther seems cool 😎 as shit. However, I bet he’d sell his own wife and children for a top 3 spot in F1. It’s just their position and job.

I am Dutch, and our culture is simple. We're straight to the point. No sugar coating, no beating around the bush. Some people perceive that as being an asshole, when to us it's the opposite. We respect you enough to tell you like it is. We are very easy when it comes to things like that.

Qualifying looked great. A race with Max starting down the field is sure to be entertaining. Alonso starting P2 will give Perez something to do. Looks to be a great race.
obzlz5279pm01.jpg
I love this ☝ After dropping off fakebook for multiple reasons, I went to discord for some game I was playing. Anyways, ended up running a page there with multiple channels. I created a Dutch one because I met so many cool Dutch peeps that didn’t mind being honest. I absolutely loved it!!!! It did offend others, so that separate channel had a warning ⚠ that honest opinions were being discussed 😂 . Kid you not! To me…. who cares!?! I must have some Dutch in me 😜. Love Max and your sentiment completely ✊

Last edited:

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Predictions for the race today? I’m going to say that it’s the same drivers on the podium as last race, just with Perez first, Alonzo second, and Max 3rd. I think Alonzo will be battling Max for a few laps before the end and keep him behind him.

I hope one of my McLaren’s finish in the points but I know that is asking for a lot.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Predictions for the race today? I’m going to say that it’s the same drivers on the podium as last race, just with Perez first, Alonzo second, and Max 3rd. I think Alonzo will be battling Max for a few laps before the end and keep him behind him.

I hope one of my McLaren’s finish in the points but I know that is asking for a lot.
Hard to say. It all depends how the start goes. If Max doesn't get tagged by anyone on the first lap, a podium should be on. I would LOVE an Alonso win.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Hard to say. It all depends how the start goes. If Max doesn't get tagged by anyone on the first lap, a podium should be on. I would LOVE an Alonso win.
I feel like the only reason that Red Bull doesn’t win this race is if they make a mistake resulting in damage to the car or mechanical issues. Their drivers are two of the best, pit crew are some of the best, strategy is on point, and the car is superior.

It would take an otherworldly amount of effort to beat them or a lot of luck.

I’m hoping that some team can improve enough to challenge them so the Championships aren’t wrapped up 2/3 of the way through the season.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
What do y’all use to watch in America? ESPN or a channel better to subscribe to? Also which one is EST? Thanks y’all

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/...-grand-prix-how-to-watch-start-time/10445315/
I use ESPN and the ESPN App. They have the practice sessions and qualifying so you won't miss anything. They use Sky's stream, which is good.

F1 TV Pro is supposed to be really good too and has things ESPN doesn't, like team radio, the ability to switch on the fly between on-board cameras, and archival footage (but only to the mid-2000s, I think). I think you can also watch the support races.

For today's race: if there is a safety car, Verstappen will win. Otherwise, it's Checo's race to win.