Formula 1 Talk

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
You’re so mean man! That’s friggin beautiful 🤤 Sweating our arses off down here in muggy FL.

Those cars looked gigantic in Monaco! The city and place is beautiful. But just don’t think it’s the best place for modern F1 cars. I love seeing the newer tracks built for this sort of thing and the kids duking it out 🥊 more.

However, I still loved watching that race. The top 3 were so damn consistent! Mega fun to watch the others try (key word try) to be as consistent as those guys. And loved the rain. Made it even more fun to watch! No room for error. Sure there is team stratagy, mechanical difficulties, and even luck sometimes. But bottom line, those guys that podiumed yesterday really deserved it, imo.

And why is Alonzo so damn cool 😎? I thought he’s suppose to be the bad guy. He looks like he’s having so much fun. He’s so damn chill. Can’t help but to root for the guy and Aston Martin 💜 He‘s turning into their 007 secret agent, Bond, James Bond. Great seal on their part! Takes some of the hate away from team Stroll.
Alonso was never the bad guy. He was made to look that way with clever PR from McLaren at the time, when in reality that same McLaren tried to do anything they could to slow Alonso down to give Hamilton the edge. They over fueled his car to weight it down, etc, but still he couldn't be beat. Equal points is not beating, a technicality saw Hamilton listed higher in the standings. Had McLaren backed Alonso instead, Alonso would've easily won the title that year. Add in Spygate, which set them up nicely for 2008, and you can see where this is going. Unfortunately Alonso made awful career choices afterwards keeping him out of a top team after Ferrari, where he was great almost winning 2 titles in a car that was never the best on the grid. I've been a fan since he started with Minardi. He is, and has been the best on the grid when Schumacher retired. Even though the results don't say it, but Senna is regarded as the best ever, and he only has 3 titles, so stats don't say everything. If Alonso was in Perez's car, I'm not sure if Max would be leading the championship right now. If he was, it would be VERY close. They are super close in speed, but I'd give Alonso the edge due to experience. But they are so close, we'd probably talk about hundreds of a second between them.
Sponsored

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
You’re so mean man! That’s friggin beautiful 🤤 Sweating our arses off down here in muggy FL.

Those cars looked gigantic in Monaco! The city and place is beautiful. But just don’t think it’s the best place for modern F1 cars. I love seeing the newer tracks built for this sort of thing and the kids duking it out 🥊 more.

However, I still loved watching that race. The top 3 were so damn consistent! Mega fun to watch the others try (key word try) to be as consistent as those guys. And loved the rain. Made it even more fun to watch! No room for error. Sure there is team stratagy, mechanical difficulties, and even luck sometimes. But bottom line, those guys that podiumed yesterday really deserved it, imo.

And why is Alonzo so damn cool 😎? I thought he’s suppose to be the bad guy. He looks like he’s having so much fun. He’s so damn chill. Can’t help but to root for the guy and Aston Martin 💜 He‘s turning into their 007 secret agent, Bond, James Bond. Great seal on their part! Takes some of the hate away from team Stroll.
Oh I have been and sweat a touch in FLORIDA LOL! Just jet ski more and cope :)
Race was only good due to rain. Felt bad for FA but I knew RedBull would sort the package and win. I had no doubt they were capable. The car is just sooooooooo good and balanced in all regimes!

Zurich was superb. I like hanging at the lake and eating outside. I have a great place for ice-cream there that I discovered years ago. Home made but limited flavors. The quality is crazy good so thats the benefit and a nice view of the old town, lake and canal. Summer is here.

F-1 this week in Spain. We shall see what upgrades are actually effective hopefully! :drive:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Alonso was never the bad guy. He was made to look that way with clever PR from McLaren at the time, when in reality that same McLaren tried to do anything they could to slow Alonso down to give Hamilton the edge. They over fueled his car to weight it down, etc, but still he couldn't be beat. Equal points is not beating, a technicality saw Hamilton listed higher in the standings. Had McLaren backed Alonso instead, Alonso would've easily won the title that year. Add in Spygate, which set them up nicely for 2008, and you can see where this is going. Unfortunately Alonso made awful career choices afterwards keeping him out of a top team after Ferrari, where he was great almost winning 2 titles in a car that was never the best on the grid. I've been a fan since he started with Minardi. He is, and has been the best on the grid when Schumacher retired. Even though the results don't say it, but Senna is regarded as the best ever, and he only has 3 titles, so stats don't say everything. If Alonso was in Perez's car, I'm not sure if Max would be leading the championship right now. If he was, it would be VERY close. They are super close in speed, but I'd give Alonso the edge due to experience. But they are so close, we'd probably talk about hundreds of a second between them.
Wish I followed this sport more closely years ago. Interesting as hell man!

It’s only my 1st season of actually watching all the races. I couldn’t be more impressed with Alonso. He is about as opposite from Yuki as it gets. Don’t get me wrong. I love to hear Yuki loose his shit over the radio but that’s not going to win races. Alonso stays calm and moves on to his next problem. Really impressed with his focus. To top it off, when the race is over, the dude is happy as a clam. Love to see it. Especially in such an stressful competitive sport.

Mega glad Max and Alonzo are NOT on the same team. That would be a nightmare from a team management perspective. Those guys are clearly at the top of their game. Love seeing them compete. Even with Max‘s Red Bull advantage.

However, I‘m quite surprised how quickly papa Stroll has brought Austin Martin back up to the Mercedes & Ferrari territory. As much as I want to hate the guy. Wow! He clearly knew what he was doing putting all of his chips in the Alonso basket. And he’s only owned this team for what? Two years… Incredible!

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wish I followed this sport more closely years ago. Interesting as hell man!

It’s only my 1st season of actually watching all the races. I couldn’t be more impressed with Alonso. He is about as opposite from Yuki as it gets. Don’t get me wrong. I love to hear Yuki loose his shit over the radio but that’s not going to win races. Alonso stays calm and moves on to his next problem. Really impressed with his focus. To top it off, when the race is over, the dude is happy as a clam. Love to see it. Especially in such an stressful competitive sport.

Mega glad Max and Alonzo are NOT on the same team. That would be a nightmare from a team management perspective. Those guys are clearly at the top of their game. Love seeing them compete. Even with Max‘s Red Bull advantage.

However, I‘m quite surprised how quickly papa Stroll has brought Austin Martin back up to the Mercedes & Ferrari territory. As much as I want to hate the guy. Wow! He clearly knew what he was doing putting all of his chips in the Alonso basket. And he’s only owned this team for what? Two years… Incredible!
Yeah they poach engineers from each other just like they do drivers. Their main aero guy was at Red Bull for a long time.

Alonso has always been great. Watch him fight Schumacher at Imola, 2006 or 2007 I think. Epic! He's had some shit cars in between Ferrari and AM, and that's the only reason his stats aren't higher.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah they poach engineers from each other just like they do drivers. Their main aero guy was at Red Bull for a long time.

Alonso has always been great. Watch him fight Schumacher at Imola, 2006 or 2007 I think. Epic! He's had some shit cars in between Ferrari and AM, and that's the only reason his stats aren't higher.
Can Stroll go outside the team spending quota to obtain Alonso? I’d think not but just curious.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Can Stroll go outside the team spending quota to obtain Alonso? I’d think not but just curious.
Drivers and the top two salaried employees are not part of the spending cap. So teams can spend as much as they want on drivers and those two employees without effecting the cost cap.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Drivers and the top two salaried employees are not part of the spending cap. So teams can spend as much as they want on drivers and those two employees without effecting the cost cap.
That makes it more interesting for sure.

Loved seeing Norris interviewed yesterday after qualifying 3rd. He looked like a 1st time Supra driver on track (how the hell did I keep up with those guys 😂). Great to see some new peeps up there.

Zach Brown. I dunno what it is, but that guy 😖

There is talk already about what if Max wins every single race. Which is ludicrous. No one is lifting the throttle so to speak. So it’s always fun to watch the development of the other drivers/teams. Anything can happen 🏁🏁

Do any of y’all use/like this F1 unlocked site?

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...-the-2023-spanish.36B1R2XdrzN5z85YeDc0EC.html

I just signed up and really enjoying their in depth guides and news. Any other good websites to follow F!?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Damn that was depressing for Lando 😔 I also missed seeing Alonso up on podium.

Max or Red Bull - what gives? He’s so far ahead of the pack!

Is Mercedes really making a comeback or did the rain in Spain 🇪🇸 fall mainly on the plain for them?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Is Mercedes really making a comeback or did the rain in Spain 🇪🇸 fall mainly on the plain for them?
It's both. The car is fantastic, and Max is driving it beautifully. Look at Perez to see It's not just the car.

Mercedes looked good, but it's too early too tell. The zero pod car did good last year too. In fact it almost won last year's race. Ferrari, Alonso, Perez were all out of position so the real picture isn't there yet. They were still 24 seconds off the lead and Max was cruising.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si

Yeah I felt really bad for Lando, just can't catch a break. Basically his day was over after 3 turns. I don't think he would have stayed in 3rd, but possibly could have been 5th, and definitely in the points.

The sad part about this season is that the Championship is basically already decided, Max as the drivers, and RB as the constructors. So if you just ignore those two things and just focus on the 2nd place driver and constructors championship it's been a decent season so far. There are really 3 teams fighting for 2nd place and 3 drivers fighting for 2nd place in the drivers standings.

It seemed like Mercedes has made a pretty big jump in performance, they certainly looked faster than everyone but RB and about on par with Perez. Will that continue, hard to say. Aston came out on fire but I worry they may have stalled a bit in development. Ferrari made big changes in this race, but only half their drivers seemed to benefit. A team to keep ours eyes on is Alpine as this was two weeks of good results and they seem to be on the rise. Could they challenge to be top 4 by the end of the season (beating out one of Ferrari, Mercedes, and Aston Martin)?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I was just reading your response to my wife and caught that you said two employees as well. Assume that would be the manager and head engineer for each team.

Are some owners also the principle and manager, such as Toto with Mercedes? Which gives them even more $$$ to spend for those two unlimited employee spots? And are there any other teams in this similar position? Y’all are a wealth of knowledge for F1 newbies like me. Appreciate it!

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I was just reading your response to my wife and caught that you said two employees as well. Assume that would be the manager and head engineer for each team.

Are some owners also the principle and manager, such as Toto with Mercedes? Which gives them even more $$$ to spend for those two unlimited employee spots? And are there any other teams in this similar position? Y’all are a wealth of knowledge for F1 newbies like me. Appreciate it!
It's drivers and top three paid employees, not two.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's drivers and top three paid employees, not two.
Interesting… I thought there was strict spending limits for each team. Then it turns out you can pay someone X amount and have the best driver, engineer and manager. Guess their intent was good but couldn’t go all the way.

Deepest pockets still win?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Interesting… I thought there was strict spending limits for each team. Then it turns out you can pay someone X amount and have the best driver, engineer and manager. Guess their intent was good but couldn’t go all the way.

Deepest pockets still win?
The cap is to build the cars, design the aero, etc. Engines aren't part of the cap since not all teams build them. The drivers and top personnel are so expensive, if they were part of the cap, they'd be racing soap boxes lol. Max is $60 million, Hamilton $40 million, with a cap of $145 million, that doesn't leave much.

Before the cost cap, Mercedes spent the most money, by far. And now that they can't, they're having a harder time.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si

Where Toto is also part owner of the team, I'm not certain if his wage is one of the top on the team or not. Typically it's as you laid out, the manager and head engineer are the two top salaries employees and not counted towards the spending cap. I'm also unsure if reserve drivers salaries are part of the cap, I think not but could be for all I know.
Sponsored