Formula 1 Talk

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I'm hoping we get an actual race for once and that it wasn't the conditions flattering the W14 a bit.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Think the track layout and the cooler temps are helping the Mercedes. The race should be warmer so we'll see if they can keep up in race trim full of fuel. I'm expecting Alonso to challenge them since the AM is better in that department.
It's a short lap, only 76 seconds so the gap is smaller too than on tracks where it takes closer to 90 seconds a lap. Max didn't look super comfortable either. His first Q3 run wasn't great.
It's all about the start. If a Mercedes can jump in front and hold Max up for a bit, there might be something there. But in reality I expect Max to pull away quite quickly once he's in front. Alonso right behind and one of the Mercs in third.
That will be the battle to watch between George and Lewis.
Perez isn't as great at overtaking as Max is. Couple that with a harder track to pass on, I don't see him getting higher than 5th. Maybe if he gets lucky with a safety car or two and gets a free pit stop, then it'll help him further up.
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
11 championships Between the podium finishers todayā€¦. I can dig thatā€¦ crazy race. insane how fast the RB is with DRS, Perez flying by the McLaren was hilarious. Shows how dragy the McLaren is though.

Happy that Stroll got 4th, I know people bag him but I like him.

Also just like that McLaren go from last to 5th in team standings in one race.

Only took 3rd race for Alpine to take each other out. Did kinda look like Gasly was looking to the left. I lost my bet that Ocon wouldā€™ve been the cause.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I can agree with you opinion fully. Iā€™d like to know 2 hypothetical questions and your honest opinion on them.

1a) Do you believe Max in the Merc last he wouldā€™ve won 1 or more races? 1b) Hamilton in the RB last year wouldā€™ve taken the title?
reasons people always say things like if Alonso in the Merc he wouldā€™ve won, vettel in the Merc he wouldā€™ve won, and such and such. Iā€™d Truly like to know swap seats how do you think they fair.

2) this is all hypothetical anyways so RB, Ferrari and Merc join, unlimited budget to build 2 cars, all down to the drivers requests, wants and feedback. Each race the strategy is perfect, tire selection perfect and always the same, getting rid of as many variables as possible, that way it comes down to Max and Lewis. Who do you think comes out on top in a 13 race championship?
Great questions! From my short time watching, Max, Alonzo, Hamilton & Russel, appear to be just a pinch more consistent than the rest of the pack. Max & Alonzo seem to be the most headstrong & bounce back better mentally from team or their own errors. Great to see Alonzo with a better team where he can shine this year.

Anyone know when the last race is showing in the US? My wife doesnā€™t want any spoilers and Iā€™d like to record it for her & I to watch together. Thanks yā€™all šŸ»

Edit: looked up formula 1 in forum search and @gixxersixxerman came up, great question even though it is an older post šŸ˜¬

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Hot take: DRS makes the racing BORING.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've always said they used DRS backwards. Instead of it opening within a second, it should be available UNTIL they're within a second. That way the chasing cars can catch up, but they still have to do the overtake on their own

LinkMK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 A91-CF, 21 X5 4.0i
Personally I think they should strictly limit the aero again. Thet are two years into the new formula having issues following each other.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Personally I think they should strictly limit the aero again. Thet are two years into the new formula having issues following each other.
I think they're fine still. Only Ferrari is complaining about that. The other cars were close to each other through the fast sweepers and chicanes getting set up for the pass and that's all aero.
Ferrari rather blames anything but themselves and they clearly didn't make the progress the rest of the field did. They got jumped by Aston Martin and Mercedes.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I hear you but without it, there would be zero on-track passing. None of the other fixes F1 has tried--skinny wings, MGU, wider tires, ground effects, etc.--have worked.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I've always said they used DRS backwards. Instead of it opening within a second, it should be available UNTIL they're within a second. That way the chasing cars can catch up, but they still have to do the overtake on their own
I could get behind that.
I hear you but without it, there would be zero on-track passing. None of the other fixes F1 has tried--skinny wings, MGU, wider tires, ground effects, etc.--have worked.
Agree 100%. Opinion: Lets stop giving a fuck about faster, faster, faster and instead make the cars less about aerodynamic grip and more about mechanical grip.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Agree 100%. Opinion: Lets stop giving a fuck about faster, faster, faster and instead make the cars less about aerodynamic grip and more about mechanical grip.
I remember when it was practically impossible to pass Schumacher or any driver clearly in the lead. Coming back and watching F1 now, I like that every team and driver has the ability to maximize this technical advantage and we get to see more passing. Not attacking anyone (*todayā€™s modern disclaimer - Iā€˜m going to add this to every post, šŸ˜‚), just asking, isnā€™t this just another tool for teams to exploit, engineer around, and best drivers adapt to?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I could get behind that.

They can't. Formula One cars are the fastest cars on a circuit. If they take the aerodynamic grip away, they won't be. The whole show revolves around the fact it's the greatest, fastest, exhilarating class of car racing. That attracts the best drivers, sponsors, the media, the celebrities and the fans. If another class goes faster, that's where everyone will go.
Formula One at it's core is a constructors championship on who can build the world's fastest car around a track. Take that away and it's just another race car.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Do you get the feeling that Mercedes is progressing faster than Aston and Ferrari, or is that just my imagination? Obviously RB is so far ahead no team should catch them, but the race for second should be pretty interesting. Ferrari is still a dumpster fire and shoot themselves in the leg. Aston would likely be favourite to finish second if it was two Alonsoā€™s driving their cars. Not that Stroll is a bad driver, he certainly isnā€™t, he would just be the last one I would pick from the pool of these drivers (Merc, Ferrari, Aston). Mercedes seem to have decent strategy, consistency from their drivers, both are about equal in ability, and reliability has been okay the last year or so, and they seem eager to make major changes this season.

Last thing I would say is I hope that this past race is the beginning of my McLaren team returning to the top half of the field. It was looking rather bleak there, but some luck really helped this last race.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Do you get the feeling that Mercedes is progressing faster than Aston and Ferrari, or is that just my imagination? Obviously RB is so far ahead no team should catch them, but the race for second should be pretty interesting. Ferrari is still a dumpster fire and shoot themselves in the leg. Aston would likely be favourite to finish second if it was two Alonsoā€™s driving their cars. Not that Stroll is a bad driver, he certainly isnā€™t, he would just be the last one I would pick from the pool of these drivers (Merc, Ferrari, Aston). Mercedes seem to have decent strategy, consistency from their drivers, both are about equal in ability, and reliability has been okay the last year or so, and they seem eager to make major changes this season.

Last thing I would say is I hope that this past race is the beginning of my McLaren team returning to the top half of the field. It was looking rather bleak there, but some luck really helped this last race.
Australia favored Mercedes because it places more emphasis on front tire grip, unlike Bahrain and KSA where rear grip was more important. Mercedes does have a demonstrated ability to improve the car over the course of the season, which is a recent Ferrari weakness, but it is too early to say Mercedes is winning the upgrade battle yet. Baku (which is more like Bahrain/KSA in terms of rear grip demand) will be instructive.

Aston is set up really well, and I think it will continue to be a good fight throughout the season with Mercedes and Ferrari. Stroll is OK, and yes, worst of the 6 drivers at Mercedes, RB, and Aston, but perhaps what the team needs as a number 2 driver: be consistent qualifier and point scorer and avoid dumb mistakes. I think Stroll can do that.

And I think every real F1 fan wants to see a strong McLaren.
Sponsored