Formula 1 Talk

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Australia favored Mercedes because it places more emphasis on front tire grip, unlike Bahrain and KSA where rear grip was more important. Mercedes does have a demonstrated ability to improve the car over the course of the season, which is a recent Ferrari weakness, but it is too early to say Mercedes is winning the upgrade battle yet. Baku (which is more like Bahrain/KSA in terms of rear grip demand) will be instructive.

Aston is set up really well, and I think it will continue to be a good fight throughout the season with Mercedes and Ferrari. Stroll is OK, and yes, worst of the 6 drivers at Mercedes, RB, and Aston, but perhaps what the team needs as a number 2 driver: be consistent qualifier and point scorer and avoid dumb mistakes. I think Stroll can do that.

And I think every real F1 fan wants to see a strong McLaren.
Definitely not saying that Mercedes has won the upgrade battle, just that from the first race to this third one they seem to be inching closer to that group. Could as you say he dependant on which track they are at. Itā€™s just an observation is all.

I would love to see my McLaren team finishing in the points consistently but I have very little confidence in that car and recently their strategy hasnā€™t been on point either. Fingers crossed they can find a way to get better soon.
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
And I think every real F1 fan wants to see a strong McLaren.
It does seem that way. Why so much love for McLaren? We donā€™t have any hate for the team or drivers but canā€™t stand Zack Brown.

So hereā€™s our summary as new fans finally watching F1 and not just the Netflix series:

1) Red Bull is the team to beat. Best drivers, coherence and team skill set.
2) Ferrari has the most potential.
3) If Austin Martin can get their cars up to Ferrari or Red Bull standards - Alonso can easily podium.
4) Mercedes doesnā€™t have that insane advantage anymore. Even Russel can give Hamilton a run for his money.
5) The rest are fodder fighting for any scraps, mistakes or luck given to them from the teams above.

Dose that about sum it up?

We watched this last race and was impressed how Perez could keep Max from gaining when his momentum is taken away on a city circuit. Even better for Red Bull winning the constructors championship having two great drivers. I think Leclerc made that clear in his interview after the race how far everyone is from Red Bull, when asked if they are getting closer. But overall, I think Max will win the driverā€™s championship because he is the best driver, period. He has such a mastery of his car and so damn consistent.

If they can keep it up, Max with Red Bull could potentially be a long Schumacher Ferrari road in the making.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Interesting article from Road & Track:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a43749271/can-sergio-perez-actually-win-an-f1-championship/

I like how Stroll stayed in line to help Alonzo. I personally think it should be the same way for Red Bull. Max is their starting quarterback. It didnā€™t make a difference in this last race (hinder Max). But in the future, I hope Perez is there for him like Stroll for Alonzo.

Assuming a city circuit like Miami could be an advantage again for Perez. At least helping him stay on par with Max?

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
It does seem that way. Why so much love for McLaren? We donā€™t have any hate for the team or drivers but canā€™t stand Zack Brown.
Because they're a team with a lot of history in Formula 1 and Formula 1 is so integral to McLaren's identity IMO. Honestly, the manufacturers, except Ferrari, they come and go. Will Mercedes be in F1 in 10 years? Will Red Bull? Maybe, maybe not. But Williams and McLaren, I think they'll be around in some form no matter what.

I didn't watch much of Baku tbh. It's kind of a joke from an entertainment standpoint when one team is way, way out in front, kind of like how Mercedes was from 2014 through 2017 or so. I love F1 but there's not as much excitement value in one team being a mile up the road and everyone else fighting for scraps. You would've really liked 2019 and 2021, when there was a real fight at the front.

Maybe it'll be a different story next year or in a couple years.

Interesting article from Road & Track:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a43749271/can-sergio-perez-actually-win-an-f1-championship/

I like how Stroll stayed in line to help Alonzo. I personally think it should be the same way for Red Bull. Max is their starting quarterback. It didnā€™t make a difference in this last race (hinder Max). But in the future, I hope Perez is there for him like Stroll for Alonzo.

Assuming a city circuit like Miami could be an advantage again for Perez. At least helping him stay on par with Max?
Can Checo win a championship? No. But it's fun to talk about. Checo is a very strong driver and will get his wins here or there but over the course of a whole season, with a car specifically designed for his driving style, Max will win the drivers' championship comfortably every time. Checo will play rear gunner, be a good teammate, and do his part as #2 but he isn't a serious long-term threat to win the driver's championship.

That said, I get it. The media has to come up with some story line since the race for driver's and constructor's championships is already over. I like Checo but this is the same narrative after his win in Monaco last year.

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Because they're a team with a lot of history in Formula 1 and Formula 1 is so integral to McLaren's identity IMO. Honestly, the manufacturers, except Ferrari, they come and go. Will Mercedes be in F1 in 10 years? Will Red Bull? Maybe, maybe not. But Williams and McLaren, I think they'll be around in some form no matter what.

I didn't watch much of Baku tbh. It's kind of a joke from an entertainment standpoint when one team is way, way out in front, kind of like how Mercedes was from 2014 through 2017 or so. I love F1 but there's not as much excitement value in one team being a mile up the road and everyone else fighting for scraps. You would've really liked 2019 and 2021, when there was a real fight at the front.

Maybe it'll be a different story next year or in a couple years.
Excellent take & review on McLaren! Thanks šŸ˜Š Still Zack Brownā€¦ He reminds me of George Constanza from Steinfeld. Donā€™t know what it is.

Can Checo win a championship? No. But it's fun to talk about. Checo is a very strong driver and will get his wins here or there but over the course of a whole season, with a car specifically designed for his driving style, Max will win the drivers' championship comfortably every time. Checo will play rear gunner, be a good teammate, and do his part as #2 but he isn't a serious long-term threat to win the driver's championship.

That said, I get it. The media has to come up with some story line since the race for driver's and constructor's championships is already over. I like Checo but this is the same narrative after his win in Monaco last year.
You really think the championship is over this early šŸ˜±? I mean, Leclerc sure acted like it when pressed by interviewers. At least with equal spending, things should even out more so as time goes on. Teams like Haas have really improved! Which is nice to see. Again, itā€™s new for the wife and I. So exciting as hell to watch for us.

Weā€™re recording it on ESPN from Xfinity/Comcast. The Sky announcers are pretty good about following everyone. The teams and drivers level of excitement about making the top 10 (money) is fantastic. Absolutely a blast watching all of them compete tooth and nail for every position.

Do you follow Indy racing? Thereā€™s a new series on CW coming out in Lou of the success from Drive to Survive on Netflix. The wife and I will be recording that and probably start following them as well. Itā€™s great that bigger media has taken a liking to the automotive sport.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Max is on a whole new level. I really wouldā€™ve loved to see this car against Mercs top dog car with Lewis then. ( I know the cars are different, but I mean a car this good against the W11) I know 2021 showed us a lot, but thatā€™s after they clipped the floors that really killed Mercedes car and the low rake cars. High raked cars loved it.

I have no doubt the RB19 is not being pushed at 100% with Max, maybe Checo is trying 100% but Max looks like he is barely breaking a sweat.. I canā€™t stand RB but no hate its no different then in Mercs glory days, back then many races they had the engine turned down so much. No where close to 100%. Back before FIA stopped letting them change power modes during the weekend.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Max is on a whole new level. I really wouldā€™ve loved to see this car against Mercs top dog car with Lewis then. ( I know the cars are different, but I mean a car this good against the W11) I know 2021 showed us a lot, but thatā€™s after they clipped the floors that really killed Mercedes car and the low rake cars. High raked cars loved it.

I have no doubt the RB19 is not being pushed at 100% with Max, maybe Checo is trying 100% but Max looks like he is barely breaking a sweat.. I canā€™t stand RB but no hate its no different then in Mercs glory days, back then many races they had the engine turned down so much. No where close to 100%. Back before FIA stopped letting them change power modes during the weekend.
He really appears so damn consistent regardless of condition (track or car). Other drivers canā€™t seem to make the most of problematic situations like Max can. I believe thatā€™s what the former F1 driver was referring to as well. Max really is one with the car. Red Bull is mega lucky to have him!

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Welp, thatā€™s Red Bullā€™s secret out. Christianā€™s faceā€¦hahaha!

Zcarmenb28

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Camaro ZL1, 22 Supra 3.0 (in transit)
Excellent take & review on McLaren! Thanks šŸ˜Š Still Zack Brownā€¦ He reminds me of George Constanza from Steinfeld. Donā€™t know what it is.

You really think the championship is over this early šŸ˜±? I mean, Leclerc sure acted like it when pressed by interviewers. At least with equal spending, things should even out more so as time goes on. Teams like Haas have really improved! Which is nice to see. Again, itā€™s new for the wife and I. So exciting as hell to watch for us.

Weā€™re recording it on ESPN from Xfinity/Comcast. The Sky announcers are pretty good about following everyone. The teams and drivers level of excitement about making the top 10 (money) is fantastic. Absolutely a blast watching all of them compete tooth and nail for every position.

Do you follow Indy racing? Thereā€™s a new series on CW coming out in Lou of the success from Drive to Survive on Netflix. The wife and I will be recording that and probably start following them as well. Itā€™s great that bigger media has taken a liking to the automotive sport.
I only follow and watch IndyCar, not really F1. Indycar is much more competitive, with a much more even playing field, making it much more interesting to watchā€”thereā€™s 10-12 drivers capable of winning any given race. Last year in the final race 5 different drivers theoretically could win the championship; didnā€™t Max lock the F1 championship up with 5-6 races left? Uninteresting. For some reason people seem to think since Indycar doesnā€™t have as much power or downforce (by rule, mind you) the cars arenā€™t ultra impressive. 750 hp, 1650 lbs, 4.5+ g turns, 5+ g brakingā€¦I think theyā€™re pretty impressive and are faster than anything else except F1 on a road/street course and definitely the fastest top speed in super speedway trim. Plus zero driver aids (no power steering, ABs, TC, etc.) make them extremely challenging to driveā€”seeing the driversā€™ hands in the cockpit view shows how difficult it is to wrangle one of these machines around a track. Not to mention much better looking machines than F1 cars.

Last edited:

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Happy Monaco Race Day to all. All Max in the rain with an Alonso mixer to add spice. Should be an interesting start. Road Trip'd down here to Zurich! Should be a fun race! Happy summer to all here! :drive:

zurich may 2023.jpg

zurich 2 may 2023.jpg

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Happy Monaco Race Day to all. All Max in the rain with an Alonso mixer to add spice. Should be an interesting start. Road Trip'd down here to Zurich! Should be a fun race! Happy summer to all here! :drive:

zurich may 2023.jpg

zurich 2 may 2023.jpg
Youā€™re so mean man! Thatā€™s friggin beautiful šŸ¤¤ Sweating our arses off down here in muggy FL.

Those cars looked gigantic in Monaco! The city and place is beautiful. But just donā€™t think itā€™s the best place for modern F1 cars. I love seeing the newer tracks built for this sort of thing and the kids duking it out šŸ„Š more.

However, I still loved watching that race. The top 3 were so damn consistent! Mega fun to watch the others try (key word try) to be as consistent as those guys. And loved the rain. Made it even more fun to watch! No room for error. Sure there is team stratagy, mechanical difficulties, and even luck sometimes. But bottom line, those guys that podiumed yesterday really deserved it, imo.

And why is Alonzo so damn cool šŸ˜Ž? I thought heā€™s suppose to be the bad guy. He looks like heā€™s having so much fun. Heā€™s so damn chill. Canā€™t help but to root for the guy and Aston Martin šŸ’œ Heā€˜s turning into their 007 secret agent, Bond, James Bond. Great seal on their part! Takes some of the hate away from team Stroll.
Sponsored

Last edited: