Formula 1 Talk

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
For me, it WAS a just and fitting end to the season because Lewis got 26 points in Silverstone I don't feel he deserved. A 10 second penalty for sending your only rival into the wall is no penalty at all. By itself the decision at Abu Dhabi was probably wrong. When you look at the season as a whole, the right driver got the championship.
So, Max taking Lewis out in Monza doesn't play into your view as you look at the season as a whole?
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
For me, it WAS a just and fitting end to the season because Lewis got 26 points in Silverstone I don't feel he deserved. A 10 second penalty for sending your only rival into the wall is no penalty at all. By itself the decision at Abu Dhabi was probably wrong. When you look at the season as a whole, the right driver got the championship.
Exactly

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So, Max taking Lewis out in Monza doesn't play into your view as you look at the season as a whole?
if you look at Monza objectively, you'd see Monza was a race incident caused by one thing. The sausage kerb. They were side by side, and by the rules Max was entitled by space. Lewis squeezed him, which is fine, but the sausage kerb threw Max's car onto Lewis' tire, which in turn launched it over the top of Lewis' car. It wasn't malicious by either driver. Just rewatch it and watch the yellow kerb.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
It really should. There's no "it's ok or it matters less because no points were involved". Dropping a car on someone isn't less dangerous than a 51G crash.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It really should. There's no "it's ok or it matters less because no points were involved". Dropping a car on someone isn't less dangerous than a 51G crash.
The difference is Lewis did it on purpose, and Max didn't. Max is awesome, but even he can't calculate a tire bouncing off a sausage kerb, onto Lewis' tire, and then over his car lol.

Ham-ver-sil-batida-DESTAQUE.jpg

Max left TWO car widths space, somehow Lewis' tire still found Max's.

4640.jpg

Max is fully alongside, Lewis has loads of room on his right, but squeezes Max onto the kerb. Kerb bounces Max's car in the air, and they end up going off.

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
And more importantly, here we are today and why this argument has almost died off. Hamilton is a great driver, so is Alonzo. They help make the sport more entertaining for sure. But now Max is clearly showing everyone why Christian Horner appeared obsessed with him during the early years. I remember watching DTS thinking he was all showman. Telling his family Max is the greatest driver of all time, asking his kids who’s the best driver in the world, and the kids saying “Max!” -Guess I was wrong and Christian wasn’t acting.

I bet Lewis was keen on this as well, just like Danny Ric. Hamilton sent everything he had into that 2021 season. Gotta love him for it. Max was starting to click even further, honing his craft & restraint when needed. It was only a matter of time…

Fast forward to that last race. Lando getting so close… Max knowing exactly where he was then hits the millennium falcon button, does his Max thang and :flame:

Alonzo fighting against Perez in a lesser car was phenomenAL! Like a scripted movie. Yeah the majority of the race was managing tires, boring stuff, but wow nonetheless.

Hope there are no mechanical failures (like many do) for Max so he can keep adding more exclamation points to this season! Vegas is going to be the bom 💣 diggity

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
I consider Max ending up on top of Lewis at Monza as “pay back” for that move at Silverstone. Let’s be honest, that season both drivers were driving like asshole with each other, it would be hard to keep track of it to determine who was “ahead” on that score by the time that incident happened at Abu Dhabi that changed the end of an amazing season.

Zoomie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 RSX, 2021 4Runner, 2023 GR Supra 3.0MT
By the way, I really appreciate that we can discuss this like adults on this forum. I've been in some pretty toxic online communities and this one has never felt that way. Even when people disagree it ends with "I say good day, sir!".

I'm not really a fan of Max winning every race, any more than I was when Lewis was running away with the championship year after year. This year I just put a piece of black tape over first place and pretend Lando is fighting for the win.

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3.0 MT
I'm not really a fan of Max winning every race, any more than I was when Lewis was running away with the championship year after year. This year I just put a piece of black tape over first place and pretend Lando is fighting for the win.
Someone on Reddit calculates the "No Red Bull" standings after each race, it's totally a silly thing, but it probably would've been a more exciting season:
1699639213854.png

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Someone on Reddit calculates the "No Red Bull" standings after each race, it's totally a silly thing, but it probably would've been a more exciting season:
1699639213854.png
May as well add Perez to these standings, because Max stands alone due to his skill- not the car alone. I mean, you're talking about a dude who spends his only free time away from racing...doing sim racing 😂 dude is a freak of nature - just see how much Fernando respects him

Sure its a bit boring, but we will look back on his career very fondly, I am sure of it. People did the same with Schumi, Vettel, Lewis, etc.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I consider Max ending up on top of Lewis at Monza as “pay back” for that move at Silverstone. Let’s be honest, that season both drivers were driving like asshole with each other, it would be hard to keep track of it to determine who was “ahead” on that score by the time that incident happened at Abu Dhabi that changed the end of an amazing season.
But "payback" would imply intent on Max's part. Maybe in a fate sort of way?

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
[/QUOTE]
But "payback" would imply intent on Max's part. Maybe in a fate sort of way?
Intent? Are we really going to argue that Max intended to end up on top of Lewis or that Lewis intended to cause that big crash at Silverstone? Their intent was to pass or stay ahead of the other driver and were both doing sketchy on the edge stuff to do so. Neither of them intended for the results of those incidents, it’s just part of racing.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Intent? Are we really going to argue that Max intended to end up on top of Lewis or that Lewis intended to cause that big crash at Silverstone? Their intent was to pass or stay ahead of the other driver and were both doing sketchy on the edge stuff to do so. Neither of them intended for the results of those incidents, it’s just part of racing.
Yes, that was my point. 👍🏻
Sponsored