Formula 1 Talk

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
F1 has a history of changing rules, and banning innovation when they see something that gives one team an unfair or competitive advantage over other teams or a clever exploit of a gap in the rules.
They can’t ban Max or sack Adrian Newey so as long as they both continue their brilliant ways, the only thing that will stop them is their own success due to the new Concorde Agreement. Oh and Adrain actually retiring like he keeps saying.
Remember DAS, the F-duct, blown diffusers, double diffusers? How about electronic aids like ABS, launch control, active suspension? Or my favorite-chilling the fuel! Aah the good old days when innovation was fun!
The difference is that those things are trinkets on a car. Newey (and his team) designed an overall fast, but difficult to drive, car. There's nothing to ban.
Man I hope you’re right. I’d hate to see the rules changed just because Max and RB had the biggest record year in F1 history. You know the other principals & greed somewhere along the marketing way will try to force that Vegas style no. 1 position fighting to every race. That would be unfortunate indeed. I’d much rather see team & driver innovation over rule changes.

I can’t wait to see how it plays out next year! 😃
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
yup, just came across that, Dude has a serious build!!

Liam, are you on here??? 😂
That dude obviously appreciates cars! He’s now my favorite driver 😂 You should respond on his channel Adam. Let him know to put that height back up (after watching the video). My car feels so spot on now that my height is back up & some alignment changes. Can’t wait to hit Sebring this weekend. The car feels fantastic. He kept the car in sport mode and shifted at will. 2nd nature to him ofc.

Wonder if that video was made before he filled in for Danny Ric? He did really well. Maybe he’ll get picked up if Logan, Zhou, Kevin, or one of the other drivers get dropped.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
I wonder why Liam chose an automatic Supra over the manual? The M2 he was driving in one of those videos was manual and he seemed to really enjoy that car. I can’t believe it was a matter of he couldn’t find a manual to buy as I’m sure he has enough connections and pull to source a manual if he really wanted.

Maybe he just prefers automatic due to all the race cars he drives. You’d think he’d want something a little different. Mind you who knows what other cars are in his garage. Plus if you always have the intention of tuning the car automatic is overall just easier as the transmission is more robust from factory.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I wonder why Liam chose an automatic Supra over the manual? The M2 he was driving in one of those videos was manual and he seemed to really enjoy that car. I can’t believe it was a matter of he couldn’t find a manual to buy as I’m sure he has enough connections and pull to source a manual if he really wanted.

Maybe he just prefers automatic due to all the race cars he drives. You’d think he’d want something a little different. Mind you who knows what other cars are in his garage. Plus if you always have the intention of tuning the car automatic is overall just easier as the transmission is more robust from factory.
Simple, he’s a racing driver so he wanted the fastest version.

:fear:

OP
OP
RWhiz

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 964, Tacoma, 2021 Absolute Zero Premium

Its faster, and its that simple. The manual is for show.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
You guys both realize that anything he could buy and drive on the roads is going to feel quite slow compared to an F1 car.

I’m not saying that an automatic isn’t faster, that’s a fact, just stating that many racers prefer something a little different to drive off the track and that can be rather unique and manuals are common.

It wasn’t me giving him a hard time, I was just curious of the choice is all.

I don’t get the comment “manual is for show”?

OP
OP
RWhiz

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
In my opinion there is a younger group of car enthusiasts ( gosh I sound old and crotchety!) that want a manual as a show off piece for their peers. A lot of younger car guys grew up with an auto being the car they learned on, now this group wants to have the experience of a manual they might have missed in their youth, and/or as a show off that hey have and can drive a manual. From a racer's perspective you should try and get the car that's fastest for you. This happens to be a big reason in why I picked the Supra personally. If you want cred at the car show and you're in your 30's a manual will get you some at the expense of lap time (for most drivers), so like I said, in my opinion the manual is for show.

To be clear I'm not knocking those who picked the manual, I mean I grew up at a different time and started with racing machinery in 1979 through motocross, and later in cars (manual ones at that time) and now I'm still trying to get around the track faster and the auto is the way to go. So maybe if I was in my 30's and wanted the experience that I may have missed I too would have gone with the manual.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
In my opinion there is a younger group of car enthusiasts ( gosh I sound old and crotchety!) that want a manual as a show off piece for their peers. A lot of younger car guys grew up with an auto being the car they learned on, now this group wants to have the experience of a manual they might have missed in their youth, and/or as a show off that hey have and can drive a manual. From a racer's perspective you should try and get the car that's fastest for you. This happens to be a big reason in why I picked the Supra personally. If you want cred at the car show and you're in your 30's a manual will get you some at the expense of lap time (for most drivers), so like I said, in my opinion the manual is for show.

To be clear I'm not knocking those who picked the manual, I mean I grew up at a different time and started with racing machinery in 1979 through motocross, and later in cars (manual ones at that time) and now I'm still trying to get around the track faster and the auto is the way to go. So maybe if I was in my 30's and wanted the experience that I may have missed I too would have gone with the manual.
See I would call that bragging rights more than showing off, but I think that’s just interpretation.

If I can source a manual Supra that’s the way I am going to go. I test drove an automatic and while it was extremely good in a lot of areas, when I did my back road blast I didn’t have enough engagement/involvement.

I know what you mean by fastest cars are automatics, that’s certainly been true for about a decade. But I don’t track my cars so I don’t really care much about absolute speed.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Because it's so much damn fun! Sample lap of mine on track, this last weekend:

Sebring 120923 Lap 1 (youtube.com)

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Quick F1 question, wife and I were listening to a podcast on the way home. We couldn't figure out what all the excitement is about. What little we could understand - F1 has more viewer than ever, thus more money for everyone to fight over, FIA is throwing its weight around where it shouldn't, the head FIA guy will either get kicked from his position, or F1 could break away from the FIA if they don't stop overstepping what little control they have left of this fantastic sport :catfight: That sound about right? And there was some Toto controversy but that's now over 🤷‍♂️

Did we miss anything else? Any good flash news brief articles or summaries/podcast y'all recommend?

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Quick F1 question, wife and I were listening to a podcast on the way home. We couldn't figure out what all the excitement is about. What little we could understand - F1 has more viewer than ever, thus more money for everyone to fight over, FIA is throwing its weight around where it shouldn't, the head FIA guy will either get kicked from his position, or F1 could break away from the FIA if they don't stop overstepping what little control they have left of this fantastic sport :catfight: That sound about right? And there was some Toto controversy but that's now over 🤷‍♂️

Did we miss anything else? Any good flash news brief articles or summaries/podcast y'all recommend?

Usually, I don't get into much F1 or Moto GP during the off season. Almost always full of crap, hearsay and rumors. Most I may do is read some articles on crash. The Toto thing was so stupid, was caused by a "source" that publishes crap and garbage and proven wrong all the time. I don't think anyone cares about Suzie running the F1 Academy "giving information" to Toto when they are basically Formula 4 cars. There is nothing for him to gain... at all....

OP
OP
RWhiz

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Usually, I don't get into much F1 or Moto GP during the off season. Almost always full of crap, hearsay and rumors. Most I may do is read some articles on crash. The Toto thing was so stupid, was caused by a "source" that publishes crap and garbage and proven wrong all the time. I don't think anyone cares about Suzie running the F1 Academy "giving information" to Toto when they are basically Formula 4 cars. There is nothing for him to gain... at all....
This 100%. The Euro media is a step above tabloid, just looking to throw dirt.

heck maybe the US media isn’t much better as a whole but at least motocross, IMSA and Indy aren’t as bad as MotoGP and F1 in this way.

I’d love to find a good podcast on F1 but I haven’t really found one I really enjoy yet. I’ve tried WTF1 and Late Braking to some extent they’re not bad but have a hard time keeping my attention.
Sponsored