humblemoto

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 A91, '07 E60 M5, '19 Panigale V4S
Always great of see a new pony car!
I feel the same on this as I do the M4, they are too long. The recipe is quite simple, Mr Shelby showed us long ago. Short and light, v8 in the front, driven wheels in the back.

Deeply regret selling my e60 M5, imagine our chassis with the S85 in it?
Sponsored

YellowJackit

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 MINI Clubman, 2023 BM X3, 2022 GR Supra
The GT and "Dark Horse" gap is too small....with regard to power. Unless, they're holding back info.

I think they played it safe as always.

crunchyramen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FD RX7, 2023 Supra
The GT and "Dark Horse" gap is too small....with regard to power. Unless, they're holding back info.

I think they played it safe as always.
They mentioned the Dark horse gets a aggressive handling pack, that might be the big upgrade over the normal GT. The power gap is so small its probably just as minor as a intake manifold upgrade similar to what they did on the boss or just a tune.

ApexMissingApe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra (sold), BMW M550i, G8 GXP
The Mustang fan boys are taking this update hard from the looks of the comment sections on the media websites.

I think peak-Mustang was with the Terminator, but I canā€™t figure out why theyā€™re hating this one so much. If Ford failed to update it enough then it risked going out like the Camaro did.

The 6th gen Camaro looked way too similar to the 5th, despite riding on a completely new platform. It is an objectively brilliant car at the track (tracks w/ curves, not 1/4mi). But its performance couldnā€™t save it because it just looked so damn boring.

Ford was smart to change it up some, except for that stupid screen.

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base
Was expecting it to be electric, wtf...

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
The Mustang fan boys are taking this update hard from the looks of the comment sections on the media websites.

I think peak-Mustang was with the Terminator, but I canā€™t figure out why theyā€™re hating this one so much. If Ford failed to update it enough then it risked going out like the Camaro did.

The 6th gen Camaro looked way too similar to the 5th, despite riding on a completely new platform. It is an objectively brilliant car at the track (tracks w/ curves, not 1/4mi). But its performance couldnā€™t save it because it just looked so damn boring.

Ford was smart to change it up some, except for that stupid screen.
I see soo much more positive than negative on social media for it EXCEPT on the Mustang pages. They hate it. and I think it's because same thing happened when the S550 came out, when the 2018 refresh came out, the current owners now have the "old" stuff, and newer and better coming out so they bitch and moan. I say that because when the 18 came out i finally found a Mustang i loved. and there was soooo much hate, but overall package was way better than a 17. The car was better. I think Ford went to a younger crowd and all with this one. Screens sell. period... they may not belong in sports cars, but when you have an option to select bigger screens, it's always the most popular option on the vehicles. You hardly, if ever, see people with the bigger screens looking for ways to downgrade to the smaller screens, but always see people with the smaller screens buying the bigger screen kits. Same for the big tablets and stuff in cars now. The digital dash was such a huge demand item for the 15-17 crowd and 18+ that didn't get it (though what's funny is the package was 2200$ and the screen alone to convert was 1900 lol)

I think that's why they have the big screens in it, which I don't mind and I'm of the "boomer" gen that's supposed to be against that stuff.

I really like this S650. I think Ford did a good job

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
The reception to the S650 has been more positive compared to the 2015 that was visceral

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
ECU locked (with Ford approved tuners as exceptions) and over the air updates...that will probably reset and re-lock the ECU every time that happens.

Yeah, that's gonna be great for sales...

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Its a hard balance. If you integrate it more into the dash you have two choices.

1. Raise the entire dashboard and build it in so it can be more at drivers eye line.
2. Build it in a normal height dash, now the driver has to look down a bunch and its not comfortable.

I know people hate the tablet sticking out but that's really the only way to have a normal height dash but still have the display at driver eyeline. Personally I don't mind looking down a bit especially since I don't mess with my infotainment that much. But I guess with A/C being put on the screen people will mess with it a bunch.
I owned a 1969 Mustang a long while back and the dash design, dash height and seating height (apart from the terrible stock front seats themselves which can be replaced with so much better) were perfect for the kind of car that it was.

Many years later I drove a friend's 2010 Mustang and while the whole car didn't get better until the 2012 model year the dash layout absolutely nailed it, effectively recreating in a modern way the driver eyeline to the gauge cluster the way the 1969-1970 models did. Then from 2010 onward Ford pretty much stuck with a gradual evolution of that dash design until this new 2024 model.

I guess my point is that... it's a Ford Mustang and part of that is the experience of siting in front of a somewhat tall-ish dashboard with a somewhat deep bucket seat that has your eyeline to the dash horizon lower than in some other vehicles. It's a part of the car's identity and character regardless of what engine option or trim level you bought.

There's no going back now but the designers missed the point in this regard IMO. I'm not against interior screens in general and it's great what we can do with them now but there is a balance that the industry hasn't landed on yet, especially when applied to sportscars that go all-out on screens that give the impression of sprouting from the dash rather than being a part of the overall car.

Given the two directions to choose from in order to create a balance, for the Mustang I'd have choosen option #1.

Now when the driving review videos come out I am interested to see if the stock bucket seat height was raised significantly after the dashboard behind the screens was lowered. If so there will be owners looking into lower aftermarket seat options or perhaps even OEM Mustang seats from recent previous model years to swap in.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
ECU locked (with Ford approved tuners as exceptions) and over the air updates...that will probably reset and re-lock the ECU every time that happens.

Yeah, that's gonna be great for sales...
Increasingly I've been interested in learning about disabling all wireless functionality in a newer car entirely so as to just halt OTA updates entirely. Warranty-voiding and it would have risks I'm sure but depending on how silly it gets (including with subscription fees for features already built into the car you own) this might be a new thing in the enthusiast car world going forward.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
I really dig it, I came from a 18 GT. I have nothing against Mustangs. But I donā€™t see me trading into the new one.. not yet at least. In the future if my Supra starts giving me trouble maybe. But at that point Iā€™d wanna step up to a AMG GTc. But Iā€™m all for the new S650. Love reading all the hate from the current owners now that that their s550 are the old and busted and the S650 the new hotness.

also rear 3/4 is very Camaro, which I really like also. I dig everything but the front grille, aftermarket would fix that though.
I like the current S550 much better as far as looks. And no, I'm not an S550 owner. Personally, I'd take a Mach1 over the new Dark Horse.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
Increasingly I've been interested in learning about disabling all wireless functionality in a newer car entirely so as to just halt OTA updates entirely. Warranty-voiding and it would have risks I'm sure but depending on how silly it gets (including with subscription fees for features already built into the car you own) this might be a new thing in the enthusiast car world going forward.
On my Jeep forum, this exact subject came up and it was determined that it's as easy as disconnecting an antenna wire on the back of the head unit.
Sponsored