Gen 7 2024 Ford Mustang

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Exhaust shots of Farah's GT video really give me Bullitt chase memories.
Sponsored

PASupra85

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Ascent, 2022 Prius, 2023 Supra (deposit)
Iā€™m just upset ford is going the route of car purchase as a service. Doesnā€™t it have ota updates that can lock you out if you made mods to the car? Call me old school, but this feels like one step closer to subscription based fees to unlock features of a car that are already built into the car.. kinda like monthly subscriptions to unlock your heated seats or use of remote start.. shit in a year or two, if this keeps going in this direction, I will be yelling at kids to get off my front lawn due to my crankinessā€¦ Iā€™m only 38 šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Iā€™m just upset ford is going the route of car purchase as a service. Doesnā€™t it have ota updates that can lock you out if you made mods to the car? Call me old school, but this feels like one step closer to subscription based fees to unlock features of a car that are already built into the car.. kinda like monthly subscriptions to unlock your heated seats or use of remote start.. shit in a year or two, if this keeps going in this direction, I will be yelling at kids to get off my front lawn due to my crankinessā€¦ Iā€™m only 38 šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø
I wouldnā€™t be surprised if they do have OTA updates like that. They have them for their immo security. Right now a monthly update changes the security for 21+ select Ford vehicles and locksmiths can add/program keys/fobs for a customer. Only Fords dealer tool can. My company has got the algorithm done 3 times just for a regular OTA to come around and have to start all over.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
They got rid of the regular production digital dashboard screens? That's the biggest improvement of all! :rolleyes1:

It does look very cool though!

The increased push towards OTA updates for these 2024+ Mustangs on the other hand is not a positive selling point. Ford is very interested in getting into the subscription features market however. Or at the very least they want to increasingly mirror what Dodge is planning for their new EV Charger Daytona with one time huge fees to unlock hardware capabilities already present in the vehicle you buy.

It will be quite annoying if Ford gets into that early and, just like Dodge, wishes to kill off the aftermarket for their niche enthusiast cars so that only the dealers with their markups can control all modifications and personalization as to function and hardware.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I wouldnā€™t be surprised if they do have OTA updates like that. They have them for their immo security. Right now a monthly update changes the security for 21+ select Ford vehicles and locksmiths can add/program keys/fobs for a customer. Only Fords dealer tool can. My company has got the algorithm done 3 times just for a regular OTA to come around and have to start all over.
That would be awful! I hope they donā€™t charge for updates or features already installed.

Donā€™t know if anyone mentioned she weighs in at over 3800lbs šŸ˜–

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
This whole time I thought the new Mustang just looked chonkier than the previous gen S550 Mustang but isn't significantly heavier, boy was I wrong. For reference, the S550 GT350 weighs 3821 lbs based on C&D's tests.

Almost 4000 lbs for the Dark Horse! Did Furd build this new gen Mustang mostly out of lead and cast iron šŸ¤£?

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This whole time I thought the new Mustang just looked chonkier than the previous gen S550 Mustang but isn't significantly heavier, boy was I wrong. For reference, the S550 GT350 weighs 3821 lbs based on C&D's tests.

Almost 4000 lbs for the Dark Horse! Did Furd build this new gen Mustang mostly out of lead and cast iron šŸ¤£?
It's a volume car chassis that has to be saleable in everything from rental car specall the way up to Dark Horse R spec after changing out MANY of the cheaper high volume components and it still needs to meet certain overall front interior, rear seating and trunk size and accessibility requirements.

A modern Mustang was never going to (and really never has) benefitted from a chassis architecture design that is primarily the super high performance top range spec first with all the lower tier trim levels being de-contented and simplified versions of that. For a modern Mustang for the most part the design philosophy is the other way around... and that probably in part explains why the highest trim level they sell even as a race car is around 4,000lbs.

I was briefly cross-shopping the previous generation used Mustang EcoBoost H.O. 6MT + Brembo model with the GR86 and despite being a former Mustang owner (1969 Fastback generation long ago) and despite the far larger overall interior volume of that generation and by extension the 2024+ generation it just struck me as not being the same kind of thing any longer. And enormously heavy for what it is.

As point of comparison in my mind:

With the GTE engine swap and some very minimal lightening that detracts nothing you'd actually want from the interior my Lexus SC300 weighs in at about 3,600lbs now. All thick steel construction with doors that weigh about 90lbs each. It's a lovely car and more nimble than you'd expect it to be for the size and curb weight but it's a heavy car. A stock MKIV Supra which has the same factory driveline hardware that I swapped into my SC is only about 200lbs lighter in 100% stock form.

I have always marveled at just how much lighter in comparison are the Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T Coupe and R33 GT-R:

R33 Skyline GTS-T curb weight (stock): 3,042lbs
R33 Skyline GT-R curb weight (stock): 3,395lbs

Mind you the GT-R variant's added weight is only a bit due to the difference between the RB25DET and the RB26DETT but the rest of it mostly comes from the extra bulk of the AWD system and 4WS system.

Those Skyline chassis make more use of aluminum and I believe the main steel structure is thinner overall which makes it lighter.

Crash and safety standards have become far more stringent and demanding since the 1990's so these cars also benefitted from less required hardware to be on board which adds to the curb weight of today's cars.

Today's MKV Supra still manages to come in at 3,400lbs roughly in stock regular production trim. Granted it doesn't get rear seats and that certainly would have made it longer and heavier.

Still... even despite knowing all that I remain amazed that this Mustang is THAT heavy in full racecar trim. 4,000lbs for a Mustang racecar that isn't a 100% EV (based on today's available EV battery technology) is getting ridiculous.

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
It's a volume car chassis that has to be saleable in everything from rental car specall the way up to Dark Horse R spec after changing out MANY of the cheaper high volume components and it still needs to meet certain overall front interior, rear seating and trunk size and accessibility requirements.

A modern Mustang was never going to (and really never has) benefitted from a chassis architecture design that is primarily the super high performance top range spec first with all the lower tier trim levels being de-contented and simplified versions of that. For a modern Mustang for the most part the design philosophy is the other way around... and that probably in part explains why the highest trim level they sell even as a race car is around 4,000lbs.

I was briefly cross-shopping the previous generation used Mustang EcoBoost H.O. 6MT + Brembo model with the GR86 and despite being a former Mustang owner (1969 Fastback generation long ago) and despite the far larger overall interior volume of that generation and by extension the 2024+ generation it just struck me as not being the same kind of thing any longer. And enormously heavy for what it is.

As point of comparison in my mind:

With the GTE engine swap and some very minimal lightening that detracts nothing you'd actually want from the interior my Lexus SC300 weighs in at about 3,600lbs now. All thick steel construction with doors that weigh about 90lbs each. It's a lovely car and more nimble than you'd expect it to be for the size and curb weight but it's a heavy car. A stock MKIV Supra which has the same factory driveline hardware that I swapped into my SC is only about 200lbs lighter in 100% stock form.

I have always marveled at just how much lighter in comparison are the Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T Coupe and R33 GT-R:

R33 Skyline GTS-T curb weight (stock): 3,042lbs
R33 Skyline GT-R curb weight (stock): 3,395lbs

Mind you the GT-R variant's added weight is only a bit due to the difference between the RB25DET and the RB26DETT but the rest of it mostly comes from the extra bulk of the AWD system and 4WS system.

Those Skyline chassis make more use of aluminum and I believe the main steel structure is thinner overall which makes it lighter.

Crash and safety standards have become far more stringent and demanding since the 1990's so these cars also benefitted from less required hardware to be on board which adds to the curb weight of today's cars.

Today's MKV Supra still manages to come in at 3,400lbs roughly in stock regular production trim. Granted it doesn't get rear seats and that certainly would have made it longer and heavier.

Still... even despite knowing all that I remain amazed that this Mustang is THAT heavy in full racecar trim. 4,000lbs for a Mustang racecar that isn't a 100% EV (based on today's available EV battery technology) is getting ridiculous.
Umm... the 3993 lbs Dark Horse isn't a race car, the race car is the Dark Horse R.

Also since when are the chassis of old Skylines built partially out of aluminium, because they are not, they're all steel and they are built like tin cans when compared to Toyota's JZX90 and JZX100 triplets, let alone comparing them to the Soarer/SC.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Umm... the 3993 lbs Dark Horse isn't a race car, the race car is the Dark Horse R.

Also since when are the chassis of old Skylines built partially out of aluminium, because they are not, they're all steel and they are built like tin cans when compared to Toyota's JZX90 and JZX100 triplets, let alone comparing them to the Soarer/SC.
I was referring to the Dark Horse R. And if they don't weigh anywhere close to 3,993lbs then I would like to see Ford's official statement on exactly what the DH R curb weight is.

The core chassis structure of old Skylines are not built out of aluminum and I didn't say they were. I said the cars *made use of* aluminum, and this is with some of the body panels such as hood and fenders, namely in the GT-R variants.

Any of the Toyota vehicles do have stronger and thicker steel construction, yes. This doesn't stop them from being highly capable and desirable GT cars despite this.

Overall curb weight is what it is regardless of what era a vehicle was designed in and regardless of what regulatory constraints they were designed and manufactured under. You couldn't put a car like the R32, 33 or 34 Skyline on sale today and still meet modern crash standards.

Yet I do feel that the current 2024+ Ford Mustang coupe is getting much heavier than it should be at this point even with all the modern constraints. Even 3,800lbs for a range topping model is somewhat marginally acceptable given its size... but at just about 4,000lbs for an ICE Mustang?

And again... let's hear from Ford what their official curb weight is for the Dark Horse R vs the street legal Dark Horse model.

Overall my main point is that even for a volume sports coupe like the Mustang 4,000lbs is just too heavy even with today's difficult regulatory constraints. I don't expect it to be as light as an old Lotus but I do expect Ford to do somewhat better than that.
Sponsored