Has anyone used their android phone as a wifi hotspot for a cheap old iphone to connect to, to get carplay to work?

j50gt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22' Supra 3.0
I don't have an iphone, wondering if anyone has done this sort of workaround. If so, did you get all functionalities to work? Any issues with google maps?
Sponsored

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
My question is whether an older iPhone is Apple CarPlay-compatible. Iā€™m not sure what generation you have to use. CarPlay is buggy enough as is with my iPhone 11...

OP
OP
j50gt

j50gt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22' Supra 3.0
My question is whether an older iPhone is Apple CarPlay-compatible. Iā€™m not sure what generation you have to use. CarPlay is buggy enough as is with my iPhone 11...
I think I read somewhere that the phone has to run ios 10 or newer. I was probably going to pick up an SE or something like that, which should be new enough.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
I think I read somewhere that the phone has to run ios 10 or newer. I was probably going to pick up an SE or something like that, which should be new enough.
CarPlay was introduced with iPhone 5 and iOS 7.1.

I have an iPhone 8 Plus, running iOS 13.6.1 and I haven't had any problems with CarPlay in my Supra.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
I don't have an iphone, wondering if anyone has done this sort of workaround. If so, did you get all functionalities to work? Any issues with google maps?
I don't think that will work. The iPhone uses WiFi to connect to Supra's CarPlay, which means it cannot connect to a hotspot, or any other WiFi network, at the same time.

Probaholic1

First Name
Frankie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0, 2015 Fiesta ST, 2005 Audi A4b6 2.7
Unless it's used through USB which I believe was an option.
Sponsored