How many tune licenses or software licenses do we actually need? (help me understand)

Ricardo

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Starting out by saying that I am new to this world of tuning.. but my question is, once you have purchased a License for a tune and you have your tune done.. if you wish to tune your car again, do you need to purchase another license?

In my case:
I got a tune through my tuner using the Ecutek software and I obviously had to pay for the license and the actual tune itself. I was told by my tuner that I did not need the Dongle or any of that since I would not be using it. But Now my situation is this, I locked my ECU with the Break Recall system update and need to have it unlocked. Once my ECU is unlocked, Do I still have to purchase another license again through Ecutek since thats the software that I will be using again to tune my car? Or should my tuner have some type of ID or anything with my VIN on it stating that I already have a license?
-hopefully this makes some kind of sense and if you guys can help me understand this world of tuning I would appreciate it.
Sponsored

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
The license is tied to your car. It's yours until you sell it or dump the car in a river. But because your ECU was re-locked by the recall, you will need to pay for a new unlock. But not a new license.

OP
OP
Ricardo

Ricardo

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
The license is tied to your car. It's yours until you sell it or dump the car in a river. But because your ECU was re-locked by the recall, you will need to pay for a new unlock. But not a new license.
Got it. Thanks man.
Sponsored