Tune Options - Many to choose from, and been "out of the game" for a while.

Angryjames

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Hello all,

I am sure this has been covered in detail in the past, but I am looking for success stories as well as a bit of education on the current tune options out in the world. I am in no hurry to do anything just more looking for info and feedback. I am most aware of two tuning options Ecutek, and Bootmod. I know there are others but my little research has always brought me to these two. What is everyones experience with them? Others? Pros and Cons. Additionally as the title mentions I have been "out of the game" for a while in the whole tuning/mod scene. From what it looks like most options allow you to basically apply the "tune" yourself, with the help of and OBD2 "dongle" and a file provided by the manufacturer/tuning house. Is that a correct assumption? How easy is it to "roll back". As a programmer/developer, I wont necessarily shy away from the complicated but, I am more receptive to clear documentation, of which I have yet to really find, but that may be due to my lack of extensive research. I just purchased an OBD2 dongle (OBLinkMX+) to turn some settings on and off via BimmerLink/Code (active sound design, etc...). Will a tool like this generally serve as the the transport between software/app and ECU, of the tuning apps/software packages? Or will I need to buy another type of "dongle" based of what I go with? I would expect it work knowing how computers work, but also knowing how computers work, I can see how they may not be "universal". I know licensing will be a part of it as well. That is pretty much it.

I have begin scouring the web for youtube videos and what not, but wanted to see what you all had gone through.
Sponsored

AlRayes_BRN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra A90
Fantastic essay, now to the answers you are looking for:

Top 3 tunning options for the Supra right now:
1. Ecutek
2. MHD
3. Bootmod3

Do I a seperate dongle/OBD adapter?
For all three versions yes, MHD does support couple of other OBD adapters and it's mentioned on their website.
1. Ecutek does not come with a bluetooth adapter and needs to be purchased separately, but it does come with a OBD connector and an ENET cable for laptop use.
2. MHD does not come with any connectors, they have their own wifi adapter which can be bought separately, they also support other connectors which (more info on their website). Their connector also wirks woth bimmercode.
3. Bootmod3 does not come with a bluetooth adapter or ENET cable and needs to be purchased separately.

Easiest:
1. MHD, quick flash through mobile
2. Bootmod3
3. Ecutek

Better for enthusiasts/serious tunning:
1. Ecutek
2. MHD
3. Bootmod3

Includes OTS maps:
1. Ecutek: No, you will need a tuner
2. MHD: Yes
3. Bootmld3: Yes

Whatever you will go with, your car ECU needs to be unlocked to be able to flash/tune the car, otherwise none of the above will work.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
We offer bm3 with a 30-day money-back guarantee, it's the most user-friendly tune in my opinion with a lot of features. I also use it on my personal vehicle.
We offer the tuner with a free Enet cable and phone adapter so you can use your phone to flash the car and change settings.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Expensive:
1. EcuTek = (stg1) $1299.95+
2. BM3 (595+50 (ots bundle)) = $645 msrp
3. MHD (Super License (incl ots bundle)) = $556 msrp
+ dongles, etc.

OTS, plug n play, set it and forget. buy license and parts, do it yourself in 5 mins:
1. BM3, MHD

Custom tunes:
1. All

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
unfortunately the OBLinkMX+ adapter will not work with any of the tuning software.

If you are considering tuning and want the flexibility and max power hands down Ecutek.

Ecutek themselves do not offer OTS maps, but the pro tuners like Mikey Botti have their own OTS Ecutek packages that you can purchase. It is a little more expensive, but IMO it is worth it over MHD or BM3 OTS options for the support

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
Does this include unlocking of ECU also or would that be separate? Looks like maybe an extra $250?
Yeah, if you require a bench unlock their is usually an extra charge no matter who tunes it. I've seen some tuners charge $400-500 so $250 isnt bad at all.
Sponsored