How to drain fuel tank?

jgardner150

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Has anyone emptied their fuel tank? If yes what method did you use / how hard was it?

Reason I ask is that I was thinking about emptying my tank when I pull my car out of storage in the spring. I currently have it completely filled with 93 *E10 with stabilizer added, best I can do short of finding non-ethanol fuel to fill up with. My thought is to empty the old gas out to avoid running 5+ month old fuel, probably will use it in stuff like lawn equipment that don't care so much about. Yes I'm probably being overly cautious I know... but if there is a somewhat easy way to do this it's just piece of mind for me...

I had a thought to re-use my factory fuel line I removed when I added the Fuel-It ethanol sensor, and just lengthen it with some spare fuel line so I can feed that into a gas can... Then somehow trigger the fuel pump to run manually to pump it out the tank. In the past I would just jump the fuel pump relay to do this, but I'm guessing it's not that easy on the Supra, maybe it is??

I also have an Autel scanner, but pretty sure the Supra isn't supported on it (to be able to manually trigger the pump).
Sponsored

Reactions: zrk

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
I take the opposing view that 93 e10 + stabilizer on a full tank will be very fine after 5mo. Run some Techron or BG44K through the car if you're truly worried.

OP
OP
jgardner150

jgardner150

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I take the opposing view that 93 e10 + stabilizer on a full tank will be very fine after 5mo. Run some Techron or BG44K through the car if you're truly worried.
Thanks for the assurance. I probably am being a bit over the top wanting to do this for sure, but that's just who I am... :dunno:

I'm more wanting to know if it's even possible to do it somewhat easily. If not for this purpose, maybe I (or others) have some other reason in the future.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Thanks for the assurance. I probably am being a bit over the top wanting to do this for sure, but that's just who I am... :dunno:

I'm more wanting to know if it's even possible to do it somewhat easily. If not for this purpose, maybe I (or others) have some other reason in the future.
I think the problem you're going to run into is with the Supra's dual-tank situation. There are actually two tanks that connect with a bridge.

Code:
|---|   |---|
|   ====    |
|___|   |___|

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tesla M3P
I think the problem you're going to run into is with the Supra's dual-tank situation. There are actually two tanks that connect with a bridge.

Code:
|---|   |---|
|   ====    |
|___|   |___|
Ugh really? The 350/370Z had this and it caused terrible fuel starvation issues because the pump was only on one side, and nothing stopped fuel from slushing to the other side under heavy corner G forces. I wonder if the Supra has that issue...

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Ugh really? The 350/370Z had this and it caused terrible fuel starvation issues because the pump was only on one side, and nothing stopped fuel from slushing to the other side under heavy corner G forces. I wonder if the Supra has that issue...
I believe that it does.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Most modern sports cars use a saddled gas tank, and fix this issue with a surge cell if starvation during racing is a problem.

Bundy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra A90, 2021 Subaru Outback
Has anyone emptied their fuel tank? If yes what method did you use / how hard was it?

Reason I ask is that I was thinking about emptying my tank when I pull my car out of storage in the spring. I currently have it completely filled with 93 *E10 with stabilizer added, best I can do short of finding non-ethanol fuel to fill up with. My thought is to empty the old gas out to avoid running 5+ month old fuel, probably will use it in stuff like lawn equipment that don't care so much about. Yes I'm probably being overly cautious I know... but if there is a somewhat easy way to do this it's just piece of mind for me...

I had a thought to re-use my factory fuel line I removed when I added the Fuel-It ethanol sensor, and just lengthen it with some spare fuel line so I can feed that into a gas can... Then somehow trigger the fuel pump to run manually to pump it out the tank. In the past I would just jump the fuel pump relay to do this, but I'm guessing it's not that easy on the Supra, maybe it is??

I also have an Autel scanner, but pretty sure the Supra isn't supported on it (to be able to manually trigger the pump).
I will use the same method with my Supra as I have done with my other sport car that I have had for 23 years. Run it almost dry before storage and the start of spring filling it up with a full tank of fresh fuel.

OP
OP
jgardner150

jgardner150

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I just saw that National Speed posted a pretty good video to their YouTube channel for this and even spell out what's needed to create a fuel bleeder tool.

Awesome video so figured I'd share. For anyone that may need it... They have some other excellent videos you all might be interested in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jgardner150

jgardner150

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Also forgot to mention

BE EXTRA CAREFUL WHEN MESSING WITH FUEL SYSTEMS!!!!! :flame:

Last edited:

ApexMissingApe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra (sold), BMW M550i, G8 GXP
I just saw that National Speed posted a pretty good videos to their YouTube channel for this and even what's needed to create a fuel bleeder tool.

Awesome video so figured I'd share. For anyone that may need it... They have some other excellent videos you all might be interested in.
Wish I had seen this a few months back. I had to siphon my fuel out with a hand pump and tiny diameter hose. It took forever, and it still left about 2 gallons in it.

1slow_mk5

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra. S2000. 328i
I will use the same method with my Supra as I have done with my other sport car that I have had for 23 years. Run it almost dry before storage and the start of spring filling it up with a full tank of fresh fuel.
Actually better to leave it full so there’s less space for oxygen to breakdown fuel..

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
My Supra has gas that was pumped in Sep 2021 and will pull out first week of April.. given dry and no salt on the ground. I only use Stabil360 during each fill since I only drive about 1000miles a year.

No issue. I been using Stabil on all my hobby cars that hibernate 5-6 months at a time and the last 3-4 years started using Stabil360 as it is a lot more flexible to use.
Sponsored