Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra

Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISSAN Silvia S15 Spec-R
A car that was an icon back in the 90's, had a 3.0 inline 6 sequential twin turbo and a prsence that gave goosebumps, CANNOT AND MUST NOT be anything less than a 450hp+ beast today with cutting edge technology and top performance.
The FT-1 concept matches this.... But the production test mules say otherwise (unfortunately)....
And although many young people want it to be cheap and accessible with the performance sacrifices, that wouldnt be the case... That is another segment of the market that had the MR2 and Celica. It could upmarket the GT86 on that as the current model is reaching an age...
Just ask yourselfs: Would the NISSAN GT-R made so much success if it wasnt one of the best (in some things THE BEST) performance car with 1/2 price of other supercars it blowed away back in 2008 when it was launched? Would it be successful for over a decade of uprising competition if it didnt have the VR38DETT, did 0-100km/h in 3.5 (and 2.7 later on!!!) and the Nur in 7:08, blast most cars in accel/stopping performance, if it didnt conquer all GT Championships in GT500 for the last years? Mizuno and his team didnt put so much passion to continue the heritage of the Skyline and the GT-R emblem?
Would it motivate a whole generation rise from so many years of waiting if it had a 4-cylinder, underpowered egine in favor of price?
This is what Toyota should have made with the Supra!
Even if its late to the party, at least make it right as it deserves to the Supra...

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
A car that was an icon back in the 90's, had a 3.0 inline 6 sequential twin turbo and a prsence that gave goosebumps, CANNOT AND MUST NOT be anything less than a 450hp+ beast today with cutting edge technology and top performance.
The FT-1 concept matches this.... But the production test mules say otherwise (unfortunately).....
The latest prototype doesn't look or sound that bad.

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/2018-toyota-supra-spied-testing-on-the-nurburgring-nordschleife.617/

Last edited:

Makarony

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Makarony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Makarony Model 1, Makarony Model 2
The new Supra looks good (from the renderings ive seen). However, there are five things I just dont understand:

1. Why does toyota need to build the MKV with BMW. If it saves time & money, then i understand. But why not use that partnership to build say, a new Celica? or a new MRS? But not the Supra. The top of the line sports car from a company, should bay made by only that company. i didnt see dodge getting help to build the Viper when it was still in production. (poor little guy :'(

2. If they for some reason, need to build the Supra with Bee Em Double-you, why not let it share the same platform as the upcomming 8 series? the 8 series of the 90s had similar dimentions to the Supra of that time. they were both big gt cars putting out similar power. But why the tiny (more s2000 or miata like) Z4?

3. Why not just make the ft-1 concept car street legal, and call it a supra? it looked good. Even if it would cost $100,000 or more. The Ft-1 looked amazing the way it was.

4. WILL IT BE AVAILABLE IN AN AUTOMATIC??? :OOO

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
The new Supra looks good (from the renderings ive seen). However, there are five things I just dont understand:

1. Why does toyota need to build the MKV with BMW. If it saves time & money, then i understand. But why not use that partnership to build say, a new Celica? or a new MRS? But not the Supra. The top of the line sports car from a company, should bay made by only that company. i didnt see dodge getting help to build the Viper when it was still in production. (poor little guy :'(

2. If they for some reason, need to build the Supra with Bee Em Double-you, why not let it share the same platform as the upcomming 8 series? the 8 series of the 90s had similar dimentions to the Supra of that time. they were both big gt cars putting out similar power. But why the tiny (more s2000 or miata like) Z4?

3. Why not just make the ft-1 concept car street legal, and call it a supra? it looked good. Even if it would cost $100,000 or more. The Ft-1 looked amazing the way it was.

I'm not the best at counting but I do believe that is 4 not 5 things:thumbsup:

Makarony

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Makarony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Makarony Model 1, Makarony Model 2
4.5) It doesn't have a targa-top. :(

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
current: 2016 Audi A7 . Past: 996TT,997cab, 997TT, R8 V10, 13 FR-S

1. Why does toyota need to build the MKV with BMW. If it saves time & money, then i understand. But why not use that partnership to build say, a new Celica? or a new MRS? But not the Supra. The top of the line sports car from a company, should bay made by only that company. i didnt see dodge getting help to build the Viper when it was still in production. (poor little guy :'( Agreed

2. If they for some reason, need to build the Supra with Bee Em Double-you, why not let it share the same platform as the upcomming 8 series? the 8 series of the 90s had similar dimentions to the Supra of that time. they were both big gt cars putting out similar power. But why the tiny (more s2000 or miata like) Z4? Heavy 8 series chassis. No way.

Anything over 100K would be a serious halo car that would be out of reach for most Toyota customers. Keep the car around 50-60K to sell plenty of cars (read profit) and to make it available to the masses.
4. WILL IT BE AVAILABLE IN AN AUTOMATIC??? :OOO God I hope not. But of course a DCT will be offered. I will be ordering a MANUAL hopefully.

upnsmoke

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota MR2 GT, Nismo 370Z , Subaru Liberty Outback
1. Wheels, European PCD.
2. Auto only transmission.
3. BMW engine and transmission.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
You'll get use to a hardtop. It weights less, looks cleaner, and has more rigidity.
if this is based on a convertible platform then it seems reasonable to think a targa could be an option. plus, what else are ya going to put on top of the parcel shelf?

1. i agree that the supra should've been a toyota only project, but admittedly go look at profit & margins for toyota versus any other car company..

Last edited:

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet

Toyota's top of line are Lexus and the LFA. The supra will be a Cayman, mustang, 370z competitor or above, but not a NSX Or GTR competitor as the pricing can not reflect that.

Toyota has already hinted at the MR2... I Hope you didn't actually mean the MRS

The 8 series is a extremely weighty sedan platform and is not a unique chassis

It can't be made street legal. There are no bumpers, those mirrors don't fold, and well, it's not actually a car... so a tractor would handle better. It was designed purely for aesthetics.

Yes. DCT most likely.

Villa Jonny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus [V8] RCF, Camry [V6] SE
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a thought for everyone freaking out on the web.. What if.. It's not the new Supra?! :cloud: