Is our paint to soft?

Lonestar_Nomad

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘23 GR Supra Premium MT
you’re delusional, you think ppf is stopping a decent sized rock from doing damage when you’re going 70 in the highway? Laughable
Ppf will protect your finish astronomically more than an extra mil of clear. You even bastardized your own claim by pointing out that a “decent sized rock” would do damage. And you’re correct. Meanwhile it’s protected your hood from an untold number of smaller impacts that would otherwise have chipped the paint. Is it bullet proof proof? Absolutely not. But even hinting that it won’t protect your finish, as you did, is silly.
Sponsored

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
More weight means less HP? Lead -based paint?

Where in hell are you guys getting all this?

😂😋

I used to be ocd about keeping it perfect but now I’m more of F it lol. I wash it once or twice a month and wax once or twice year but that’s it. Trying to achieve perfection drove me crazy and PPF is insanely expensive. But i never let it get filthy. Whether clean or dirty it’s still a Supra and looks better than most other cars on the road
You're a better owner than me. 😂 I bought my car in January and have yet to wash it. Never waxed. Not an inch of PPF other than the factory stuff on the front.
Still looks really good, IMO. Maybe that's one of the benefits of yellow. This is my first yellow vehicle so I'm still learning just how easy it is to take care of.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Ppf will protect your finish astronomically more than an extra mil of clear. You even bastardized your own claim by pointing out that a “decent sized rock” would do damage. And you’re correct. Meanwhile it’s protected your hood from an untold number of smaller impacts that would otherwise have chipped the paint. Is it bullet proof proof? Absolutely not. But even hinting that it won’t protect your finish, as you did, is silly.
My current daily is 15 years old and the PPF has kept the paintwork on the front end looking near new. It's not perfect and it's not going to stop a meteor shower but it's a whole lot better than thoughts and prayers.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I coated mine with Cquartz from Day 0, and 15,000km later, with proper washing techniques, it has very minimal (almost none) swirls, marring, etc.

I don't touch the paint except doorhandles.

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
I use several old Dolly Parton bras , they flap in the breeze but still afford some protection 🤪

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
I coated mine with Cquartz from Day 0, and 15,000km later, with proper washing techniques, it has very minimal (almost none) swirls, marring, etc.

I don't touch the paint except doorhandles.
This is key. All modern paint scratches easily, but proper washing technique can help to prevent most noticeable marring. Ceramic coating mostly helps due to the hydrophobic properties. Helps remove a lot of dirt from surfaces with just water before you even touch it with a sponge.

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
Unrelated but what do you guys use to clean up/get the satin matte trims looking nice? (The front/side splitters and rear bumper cover)

I got some micro scratches on the rear portion.

OP
OP
jtsang25

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Unrelated but what do you guys use to clean up/get the satin matte trims looking nice? (The front/side splitters and rear bumper cover)

I got some micro scratches on the rear portion.
The satin pieces aren't painted so my my shop just took high grit sand paper and refinished it. For superficial marks though.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Paint seems antiquated. Wonder why they haven’t come out with some new super hard, super slick nano coating that’s tougher than paint. Maybe like powder coating but for body

OP
OP
jtsang25

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Paint seems antiquated. Wonder why they haven’t come out with some new super hard, super slick nano coating that’s tougher than paint. Maybe like powder coating but for body
Cost.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Most likely, although i do wonder if super high end cars like rolls Royce have better paint than our cars since it’s all water based

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
German cars typically have hard paint. My Audi is a great example. Anyone who does paint correction knows that some paints are soft and some are hard. I prefer hard paint even if it is more difficult to correct.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
IMO, PPF is a waste of money for several reasons. And installing it can do lots of damage if you have a poor installer who ends up cutting into the paint. And that happens a lot.

The other issue is that it has to be removed after a while and reapplied unless you want to risk peeling off the clearcoat. I've seen that happen many, many times.

A friend of mine recently purchased an E92 M3 that had cloudy old PPF on the entire car. His shop warned him that they might damage the clearcoat while removing it. And they did, despite doing everything they could to prevent it.

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
IMO, PPF is a waste of money for several reasons. And installing it can do lots of damage if you have a poor installer who ends up cutting into the paint. And that happens a lot.

The other issue is that it has to be removed after a while and reapplied unless you want to risk peeling off the clearcoat. I've seen that happen many, many times.

A friend of mine recently purchased an E92 M3 that had cloudy old PPF on the entire car. His shop warned him that they might damage the clearcoat while removing it. And they did, despite doing everything they could to prevent it.
Eh PPF really involved from the e93 days. I feel it's a must for these cars. Ofcourse the most important thing is to have a reputable installer, if he/she messes up, they will redo the whole process regardless plus the warranty is always there.

OP
OP
jtsang25

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

I rather roll the dice with film and protect the paint. If it rips clear then I'll respray. If I don't film and get peppered in rock chips I still have to repaint eventually.
Sponsored