Is uniden R7 really better than the R3 around town?

JR Supra

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 toyota GR supra 3.0 premium
Im going to buy a radar detector soon and I want to know if the Uniden R7 is really better than the R3. Thanks
Sponsored

SupraMKV2.0

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
2023 M550i, 2023 M340i, 2021 Supra
I have both and they both work the same to me. If you have the R3, there's no point in upgrading to the R7. The R7 is also like double the size of the R3...It's kinda ugly.

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
I have an R7 in the supra and a R3 in my Tacoma. Ive had both driving together on the same road at the same time and the R7 is far more sensitive. Definitely makes saves easier. Would I upgrade to an R7 from an R3? No. If you dont own anything yet though get the R7 its a better detector and is also slightly quieter when it comes to falses. The arrows also make things easier since you know where the signal is coming from. Auto GPS lockouts are nice to have. The K Block filter is great for BSM false filtering, way better then the R3 in that aspect.

https://www.vortexradar.com/2019/07/uniden-r7-radar-detector-review/

paulnur

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
Canā€™t really comment on the R3; however, I got the R7 about a month ago and itā€™s a great radar. Arrows are kind of a necessity. You can self diagnose almost instantly if itā€™s a false positive depending on the direction it is coming from. If you donā€™t have the direction you are flying in the blind IMO. Would highly recommend the R7.

Last edited:

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
R7 has better range, better red light camera detection, directional arrows, deeper filter process, more filter maps, and auto mute system. Id still recommend the rl360c over it, if you donā€™t want the thea system

Bonez

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
The fact that radar detectors are illegal in va where I live makes me sad after reading this thread

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
The fact that radar detectors are illegal in va where I live makes me sad after reading this thread
You are in the worst state to be in the car scene in. Rip

Romin91

First Name
Romin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91-MT, 13 Sonata SE 2.4
Thinking of getting an R8, thoughts?

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Thinking of getting an R8, thoughts?
Basically just the r7 but with Bluetooth. Iā€™d get the redline 360c over r8. That way you can get laser jammers intergraded smoothly

aksprite

First Name
AK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra, the bus
Thereā€™s a couple of radar detectors you could get that are virtually undetectable by police. You just gotta place it somewhere hidden and or an easily accessible place so you could grab it real quick.

Bonez

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
Thereā€™s a couple of radar detectors you could get that are virtually undetectable by police. You just gotta place it somewhere hidden and or an easily accessible place so you could grab it real quick.
The penalties if you get caught having them are pretty extreme

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
R7 has better range, better red light camera detection, directional arrows, deeper filter process, more filter maps, and auto mute system. Id still recommend the rl360c over it, if you donā€™t want the thea system
R3 has red light detection, auto mute, and a pretty solid filter process.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
R3 has red light detection, auto mute, and a pretty solid filter process.
I believe the auto mute function on the pre r7 used a method other than the location Bluetooth connection. I think it stores signal codes and will eventually mute when running into the same code?

paulnur

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
Canā€™t really comment on the R3; however, I got the R7 about a month ago and itā€™s a great radar. Arrows are kind of a necessity. You can self diagnose almost instantly if itā€™s a false positive depending on the direction it is coming from. If you donā€™t have the direction you are flying in the blind IMO. Would highly recommend the R7.
I have the R8. Iā€™m dumb.
Sponsored