JB4 vs Unlocked Tune

Jakester

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
Something that caught my eye with MHD vs JB4 was the cold start feature with MHD, is it still useable with a partial unlock? If so, how much can it quite down the car on startup with a full exhaust system?
I have not messed with cold start but I can tell you that I have full access to adjusting the burbles and have personally used and adjusted them. It works no problem.
Sponsored

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
If you are planning on keeping it simple with basic bolt ons, an ecu unlock and tune us simply not worth it. You will make maybe 10-20whp more.
This is downright incorrect. At $1200 for the ECU unlock from Femto + MHD license + MHD dongle the OTS maps will allow for up to 470HP on stock fueling with a downpipe and some E content.

stormgreysupra

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oemplusmods.com
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra A90 Edition
This is downright incorrect. At $1200 for the ECU unlock from Femto + MHD license + MHD dongle the OTS maps will allow for up to 470HP on stock fueling with a downpipe and some E content.
Downpipe with a JB4 on E30 will make 450-470whp. MHD can make a little more than that 470-490whp on the OTS E30 map. So yes my comment was correct.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Downpipe with a JB4 on E30 will make 450-470whp. MHD can make a little more than that 470-490whp on the OTS E30 map. So yes my comment was correct.
With a custom tune these cars are doing 500+ on MHD with stock fueling.

Any ecu tune will be leagues better than JB4 unless you only care about roll racing, not how well the car actually drives.

stormgreysupra

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oemplusmods.com
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra A90 Edition
With a custom tune these cars are doing 500+ on MHD with stock fueling.

Any ecu tune will be leagues better than JB4 unless you only care about roll racing, not how well the car actually drives.
If you add custom tuning to MHD that's another $600-700. Like I said cost to value in this scenario the JB4 is better. I have had both on two separate cars.

You can also get a custom map from Jesse for the JB4 by the way and make more power with smoother delivery than with the out of the box settings.

Dr. Supra

First Name
Danyoll
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Nitro Yellow
I will be selling my jb4 for $550 shipped this week. I sent out my ecu for bm3 unlock. If anyone is interested in a jb4

Dr. Supra

First Name
Danyoll
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you add custom tuning to MHD that's another $600-700. Like I said cost to value in this scenario the JB4 is better. I have had both on two separate cars.

You can also get a custom map from Jesse for the JB4 by the way and make more power with smoother delivery than with the out of the box settings.
$700 for 510whp/550tq and whooping hellcats. Very well worth it. Jb4 can't do that unless with meth but then again, with meth you'll spend more money than a custom tune on bm3/mhd.

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Tungsten Supra 3.0 Premium
You'd think I'd be pretty bias with my response BUT I'm really not.

If there are no objections to additonal money required than 100% ECU tuning over JB4 all day.

However, if on a budget jb4 will definitely do the trick for improved performance, especially since you can pick up used jb4s and resell them when you are done.

Also for those talking about hp numbers, they don't mean much. I have 50+ videos of jb4 supras beating out ecu tuned supras with comparable mods and fuel and same the other way. It's all about how things are set up and the driver. I know plenty of ecu tuned supras with flex fuel that still run low 11s in the 1/4 and 8-9s 60-130. I'd say the majority of them do.

Here's my recommendation. Be realistic about your goals and wants and go from there.

Everyone wants a 8 second supra but no one wants 8 second supra problems.

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra
I know for sure Iā€™ll want a larger turbo (on pump) eventually so Iā€™ll need to do an unlock + MHD.

itā€™s nice to have the option open and the improved driveability.

Dr. Supra

First Name
Danyoll
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I know for sure Iā€™ll want a larger turbo (on pump) eventually so Iā€™ll need to do an unlock + MHD.

itā€™s nice to have the option open and the improved driveability.
Why not bm3?
Sponsored