Piggyback vs ECU Tune...Help a person decide

Discussion in 'DME / ECU Software Tuning' started by twarner776, Sep 6, 2019.

1. twarner776

twarner776 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Travis
    Car(s):
    Supra LE, Audi A6
    Liked:
    Ok in need of some help and overall guidance. I know this has been discussed on other forums but not a lot of info on the Supra in general.

In full disclosure in previous cars etc tuning hasn't really been on my radar so therefore its not something i have a lot of general knowledge on. As I mentioned in a earlier post im getting ready to start my 1st mods on the Supra which include a downpipe and tune. The downpipe will be Titan but im a little lost on where to go with the tune. Right now sitting between the Titan piggyback or waiting on MHD or bootmod3. I know MHD is in beta.

Are there advantages to one vs the other? Would you be comfortable getting in on a beta of MHD or bootmod if you could? I am a little concered with being a new platform on the warranty side of things but the smile may be worth it.

2. lsdlsd88

lsdlsd88 New Member

Car(s):
    MX-5 mk1, Celica mk7
    Liked:
    if you have ANY concerns about warranty (meaning you can't afford to pay the bill for fixing it) go with a module.

it's no guarantee that it will NOT be detected (even after you take it off, due to FASTA data), but it's your best shot.

being a bmw something in the car WILL eventually go wrong, be prepared to play it safe :)

XtremeMaC, A70TTR and RRKnight like this.
  3. RRKnight

RRKnight Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rocky
    Car(s):
    Lexus NCX200T F Sport
    Liked:
    I'm going to start with a downpipe for now until more research and test are done with the tunes before jumping in. I just might wait until warranty period to be over first. Not in a rush to boost high horsepower on this car. It has plenty for my daily drive already.

Verdi likes this.
  4. Subzero05

Subzero05 Member

Car(s):
    2020 Supra
    Liked:
    New here first post . I’ve been active on the other forums since getting my car . I went with a piggy simply because of warranty and I don’t want any issues amdcnot looking to go crazy . My 2 cents

5. Dooo

Dooo Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2020 Supra
    Liked:
    I'm thinking the same thing. I think I am getting a Titan downpipe since they did say it does not require a tune. I mainly want a little more volume out of the car. Let me know how it sounds compared to stock if you get it

RRKnight likes this.
  6. kona61

kona61 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    J
    Car(s):
    5G 4Runner, MK7 Golf, AZW LE Supra
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    #6 Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    All down pipes require a tune.

Edit- or a defouler/spacer

LS3Twins likes this.
  7. LS3Twins

LS3Twins Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ryan
    Car(s):
    2020 Supra 1998 E36M3 LS3 Twin Turbo
    Liked:
    Yes I agree all downpipes should have a tune but get ready for the wave of people saying no they don't. Haha They were arguing this in another thread.

8. LS3Twins

First Name:
    Ryan
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    This is what a catless downpipe on a Supra sounds like. They will all basically sound the same.

XtremeMaC and Dooo like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    twarner776

twarner776 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Travis
    Car(s):
    Supra LE, Audi A6
    Liked:
    Downpipe, Protune and dyno results coming soon..... I just dropped the car off at my buddies shop.

I wanted a ECU based tune but will wait a little longer do to the warranty side of the house

XtremeMaC and LS3Twins like this.
  10. Dooo

Dooo Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2020 Supra
    Liked:
    Would you say it's louder compared to stock? I know tune is required for the full potential gain with a downpipe, but I am mainly after the volume at the moment. Did it require a tune?

11. LS3Twins

First Name:
    Ryan
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    MUCH. Haha When it pops now it sounds like the middle east. You can hear the turbo spooling at lower speeds and overall volume is definitely increased.

I have never installed a catless downpipe without a tune. You can use an 02 spacer and yes that will help prevent a light but I would recommend a tune with any of the catless downpipes. Just my opinion, that's a huge change for the OEM system to see and an 02 spacer is more of a band-aid.

Dooo likes this.