Just the tip . . .

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
Im thinking if tipping my toe (you thought I was going somewhere else didn’t ya!) into the power modding aspect of the ole MkV.

I come from a Subaru background, having owned 2 WRXs, 1 STI, and a BRZ. Cobb tuning was one of the “go tos” for tuning, especially if you just wanted a reliable OTS tune which is the direction I went, stage 2 being is far as I went.

im only looking for about 50 hp. And I want reliability. We have 93 octane. Btw I know there are no guarantees in modding, but you get the point.

I’ve read about the JB4, but I don’t like the idea of a piggy back. Is there a “go to” for the Supra akin to what Cobb is to Subaru that has reliable, drive like stock except a bit more hp
Sponsored

Last edited:

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
MHD or BM3 is what you are asking of if you don’t mind flashing the car.

The JB4 is good and can be back end flashes with MHD for optimal results and safeness

ECUtek is more pricey than previously mentioned and I would suggest going this route with a custom tune if you want to get on e50 and possible meth / upgrades turbo

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
There’s nothing as simple as an access port for this platform, mostly due the complexity and security built into the ECU. There are OTS tunes though, using platforms like BM3, ECUTek, etc., but the flashing process is more involved. Eastcoastsupra and speedindustry both have OTS ECUTek tunes, OpenFlash Performance has OTS tunes using their own platform, etc.

You have a 2020 so you don’t have a hard lock, but you may still have a soft lock that requires pulling out the ECU and shipping it to the tuner to have it unlocked. After that you’ll need to pull the stock tune and send it to the tuner so they can modify it and send it back, since the tune file itself is locked to the VIN they can’t just send you a generic file that could be used on any vehicle.

I wouldn’t do a JB4, that’s really only a good option for late 2021s that have a hard lock on the ECU and can’t be reflashed.

You will have to pay per tune though, so I suggest getting all of your bolt-ons on there first so you only have to tune it once. Unlike the WRX, these cars can handle basically any normal bolt-on (intake, downpipe, etc) without tuning. Obviously you won’t really gain any power until you tune it, but it’ll be safe in the interim.

Last edited:

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
im only looking for about 50 hp. And I want reliability. We have 93 octane. Btw I know there are no guarantees in modding, but you get the point.
You say that now... But once you get 50hp more, you will want more power. :thumbsup:

So far ive done...

-Titan Protune w/high flow catted downpipe. Probably easy 50HP
-Removed Protune and Ecutek 93 octane OTS map from Mikey Botti. made 418hp/480tq
-2nd tuning session on e50 tune made 480hp/540tq

Now im itching to upgrade to the Pure 700, but they are pretty far behind and not sure im ready to upgrade axles and transmission. My advice is to buy all your bolt-ons and tune once.