Low volume with iPod Touch

PeteBaja

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Pro, Toyota MR2 Mk3, Audi A2
I use the iPod Touch to listen to my music collection and this works fine with my original device.
When Apple announced that they were discontinuing production of the iPod Touch I purchased a second one for backup just in case the original one caused issues later on.
So I connected the device to the car and downloaded the MyBMW app just as I did before. The issue is that the volume from the second iPod is very low, requiring the volume on the car to be turned up so much just to hear the music. The difference between the iPod and the radio is night and day.
Where am I going wrong? I haven't tried using the charging cable to connect to the USB port but I am puzzled by the Bluetooth connection not working as well with this second device.
Sponsored

OP
OP

PeteBaja

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
P.S. thanks in advance for any advice which is much appreciated.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2023 F150 Tremor
Maybe a silly question butā€¦is your iPod volume all the way up?

CarPlay and USB connections donā€™t rely on the device (iPod) volume. Bluetooth connections are indeed affected by device volume.

OP
OP

PeteBaja

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Maybe a silly question butā€¦is your iPod volume all the way up?

CarPlay and USB connections donā€™t rely on the device (iPod) volume. Bluetooth connections are indeed affected by device volume.
Not a silly question at all, the volume of the iPod is cranked up to maximum!

OP
OP

PeteBaja

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is me clutching at straws but would the cover for the iPod have a bearing on the Bluetooth connection?

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a silly question at all, the volume of the iPod is cranked up to maximum!
Alright - Iā€™m unfamiliar with the mybmw app. Have you tried just a plain old Bluetooth connection?

Also, are there any settings different on your new iPod like ā€œnormalizeā€ volume or whatever?

And are both iPods on the same iOS version?

OP
OP

PeteBaja

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
When you connect the iPod to the car the IPod directs you to download the MyBMW app. I did that with the previous iPod - both iPods are the latest version, the first one only purchased last year specifically for using with the Supra and the newest one was purchased last month.
I'll have to do a bit more digging around the get to the bottom of this puzzle!

Don Alex

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0 Premium
How do you use the My BMW App with a Supra? I cant even connect with my VIN, its gives me an error.

OP
OP

PeteBaja

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm no expert, but as far as I know you need the MyBMW app to connect to iDrive. Although you don't need to register an account with the app - well, I didn't anyway!šŸ˜€.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Do you have another car that you use the same iPod setup with? Could see if the low volume issue is persistent across cars or specific to the Supra. Could tell you if itā€™s the car or the iPod.

OP
OP

PeteBaja

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Do you have another car that you use the same iPod setup with? Could see if the low volume issue is persistent across cars or specific to the Supra. Could tell you if itā€™s the car or the iPod.
Sadly not as my other two cars are 17 years old now - both having CD drives. Thank you for your input in trying to help me out, I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Its not just the iPod touch - I have this same problem with any bluetooth music connection and even putting the MP3's on the car's hard drive - the radio and the XM Radio both are nice and loud compared to these sources.

It appears its a BMW Thing, as i searched on other forums for solutions - maybe with Bimmercode or something, but all folks seem to have this issue on their BMW's too.

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
Go into the settings of whatever your playing music from and make sure you don't have something along the lines of a LOUDNESS NORMALIZATION turned on. This will cause music to be a lot quieter than usual.

OP
OP

PeteBaja

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for your suggestions, I tried Apple Support but that didn't shine any light onto the problem. I've looked at any settings that might cause an effect and the only ones I can see are related to headphone use so I've turned them off.
Now to see if it's done the trick, more by trial and error than anything else!
Sponsored