Massachusetts state inspection?

Mnoor786

First Name
Muhammad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra Mkv, Audi a6 2020
Hi guys i need help. Any Mass supras currently tuned? I want to know how do you guys pass the state inspection?

my inspection is due and my 22 supra ecu is femto unlocked and currently on bm3 ots stage 2 tune. What i know so far is if i put the tune back to stock it still wont pass inspection. If someone has experience please help thanks.
Sponsored

RsPhi

First Name
Phi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 toyota supra
I think you should be able to pass, as long as it passes 3/4 of the monitors. if you aren't catless stock tune should pass. bm3 i believe can check readiness monitor, flash to stock and do a drive cycle. then check to see if 3of the 4: 02 sensor, cat, evaP, and 02 heater are ready.

OP
OP

Mnoor786

First Name
Muhammad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think you should be able to pass, as long as it passes 3/4 of the monitors. if you aren't catless stock tune should pass. bm3 i believe can check readiness monitor, flash to stock and do a drive cycle. then check to see if 3of the 4: 02 sensor, cat, evaP, and 02 heater are ready.
I have catted downpipe. If i put the car back to stock tune drive around for a week? You think it should be okay to pass the inspection in MA.

chaoscentral

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Do-BMW-OBDII-Drive-Cycle-For-Smog-Check/

I would perform that procedure to ensure you are completing a full drive cycle. Certain things have to happen for each monitor to pass.

As long as the BM3 tune didnt turn off the monitors theres no reason it should fail MA inspection. As long as the monitors look good it passes. They do not do any kind of checksum verification.

OP
OP

Mnoor786

First Name
Muhammad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Do-BMW-OBDII-Drive-Cycle-For-Smog-Check/

I would perform that procedure to ensure you are completing a full drive cycle. Certain things have to happen for each monitor to pass.

As long as the BM3 tune didnt turn off the monitors theres no reason it should fail MA inspection. As long as the monitors look good it passes. They do not do any kind of checksum verification.
Are you tuned in MA? So i need to put the car back to stock tune and perform these steps? Then ill be good to go?

chaoscentral

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Are you tuned in MA? So i need to put the car back to stock tune and perform these steps? Then ill be good to go?
Not yet on the Supra but I've been tuned in every other car I've owned and havent had an issue. Those steps should be followed anytime you reset the ECU (reflashing it) usually it happens organically over time, but if you are tyring to set the readiness monitors you do those procedures to complete the testing.

My friend just passed in his Fiesta ST and that things tuned and modded pretty extensively without cats.

MA inspection only ultimately cares about the readiness monitors being ready and passed. Shops are supposed to do a visual check for the cats, but alot do not do that part and rely solely on the OBD scan.

OP
OP

Mnoor786

First Name
Muhammad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hey guys need help. I failed the Massachusetts state inspection today. I had the AA catted downpipe and stage 2 tune on my car. i was told i should be fine but unfortunately i failed now i have to go to states Macs center and bring the car back to stock. Unfortunately i sold my stock downpipe that came with the car. i guess now i have to put everything back to stock to bring it to them. Anyone from Mass had this experience before?
Anyone have stock downpipe nearby i can borrow to pass the inspection? Any help would be appreciated
83F82EB0-1DF3-4148-B053-862D08F917ED.jpeg

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
Did you flash back to stock and perform the steps above to complete a drive cycle?

Reactions: zrk

404nd2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tesla MYP | 2020 Supra
Hey guys need help. I failed the Massachusetts state inspection today. I had the AA catted downpipe and stage 2 tune on my car. i was told i should be fine but unfortunately i failed now i have to go to states Macs center and bring the car back to stock. Unfortunately i sold my stock downpipe that came with the car. i guess now i have to put everything back to stock to bring it to them. Anyone from Mass had this experience before?
Anyone have stock downpipe nearby i can borrow to pass the inspection? Any help would be appreciated
83F82EB0-1DF3-4148-B053-862D08F917ED.jpeg
I ran into the exact same thing in Mass with BM3 and an AMS catted DP. Flash it back to stock and make sure that anything modifying the catalyst monitor is just set to OEM. BM3 turns off the CEL monitoring for the cat even with the stock map, I didn't realize this and had to go see the state referee as a result :). I had to go back to my original test when I bought the car to confirm what things were already unsupported. A/C system, Secondary Air, and Catalyst Heater were all unsupported from the dealership inspection.

You're gonna want every monitor ready so get yourself a cheap OBDII scanner that will show you emissions readiness.

After a lovely evening in the MACS I passed with the AMS DP.

OP
OP

Mnoor786

First Name
Muhammad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I ran into the exact same thing in Mass with BM3 and an AMS catted DP. Flash it back to stock and make sure that anything modifying the catalyst monitor is just set to OEM. BM3 turns off the CEL monitoring for the cat even with the stock map, I didn't realize this and had to go see the state referee as a result :). I had to go back to my original test when I bought the car to confirm what things were already unsupported. A/C system, Secondary Air, and Catalyst Heater were all unsupported from the dealership inspection.

You're gonna want every monitor ready so get yourself a cheap OBDII scanner that will show you emissions readiness.

After a lovely evening in the MACS I passed with the AMS DP.
i just ordered one monitor off amazon and going to put car back to stock tomorrow morning make sure everything is oem settings.
can you please explain what happened at mac center did they knew you were tuned? Where did you go for it? I am in cape cod Mass. Was it a easy process? Do i need to change the catback exhaust? I also have 20 percent tinted windows as well.

404nd2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tesla MYP | 2020 Supra
i just ordered one monitor off amazon and going to put car back to stock tomorrow morning make sure everything is oem settings.
can you please explain what happened at mac center did they knew you were tuned? Where did you go for it? I am in cape cod Mass. Was it a easy process? Do i need to change the catback exhaust? I also have 20 percent tinted windows as well.
They knew that the tampering was involved because the OBD test failure page was blank, no feedback which instantly flags you. Aftermarket exhaust isn't illegal so I don't think you need to change it back, for reference I have always had the OEM exhaust.

The MAC I was referred to is in Tewksbury but this may vary. You should have received a number to call from the failed test, the call center will refer you to a location closest to you. You make an appointment directly with person that makes the inspection, they'll quiz you about what has been done to the car and advise you on next steps.

There aren't many locations so it was sort of a pain to get to. I also needed to drive the car a lot in order to get the monitors into ready state. This was the worst part. Are you on BM3 or Ecutek?

OP
OP

Mnoor786

First Name
Muhammad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
They knew that the tampering was involved because the OBD test failure page was blank, no feedback which instantly flags you. Aftermarket exhaust isn't illegal so I don't think you need to change it back, for reference I have always had the OEM exhaust.

The MAC I was referred to is in Tewksbury but this may vary. You should have received a number to call from the failed test, the call center will refer you to a location closest to you. You make an appointment directly with person that makes the inspection, they'll quiz you about what has been done to the car and advise you on next steps.

There aren't many locations so it was sort of a pain to get to. I also needed to drive the car a lot in order to get the monitors into ready state. This was the worst part. Are you on BM3 or Ecutek?
I am on bm3 and put the stock tune back on now. Now just driving around to get all the monitors ready. So how did they let you go. Did they know you were tuned and you put it back to stock? Did you pay any fine? Did they jack up the car to see whats been done?

404nd2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tesla MYP | 2020 Supra
I am on bm3 and put the stock tune back on now. Now just driving around to get all the monitors ready. So how did they let you go. Did they know you were tuned and you put it back to stock? Did you pay any fine? Did they jack up the car to see whats been done?
Cool! Just a reminder, you need to make sure the catalytic monitor is set to OEM on the stock map.
1682413726110.png

They didn't jack my car up. The tech looked around the engine bay but that's about it.

OP
OP

Mnoor786

First Name
Muhammad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cool! Just a reminder, you need to make sure the catalytic monitor is set to OEM on the stock map.
1682413726110.png

They didn't jack my car up. The tech looked around the engine bay but that's about it.
so should i take the back tint off-since its 20% ? And also did you tell them that you were tuned? What questions did they ask you about the car or any reasoning why the car failed at first place?
Sponsored