OP
OP
scoates

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
Small update to this thread, not driven the car much (1200 miles total) due to storing for winter then lockdown stopping travel, but the Gyeon Matte Ceramic is holding up well, I use the top-up product after each wash.

Normally snow foam with a generic foam, 2 bucket with grit guard with Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte, then the ceramic top-up. I've never had any obvious streaking.

Right now it has been sitting outside for 2 months in all weather so gets dirty and dusty and bird poop on it as well. There has been no etching into the paint from droppings or any water spotting from rain/dust. A simple rinse and it all washes off, and still beads well.

When I first got the car it did have etching from bird poop (which we were able to remove), so the ceramic is definitely protecting it well.

J’s Mk5

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Phantom Premium
So, my foam cannon arrived today, put 5 caps full into the canister and added HOT water. Used maguires gold series shampoo (no wax), applies to DRY paint, let us sit for about 15 minutes and then power washed it off—-and every damn love bug gut rinsed right off!!!! I was thrilled!!! Pictures don’t lie!

3B27C2AE-2202-4AF8-9E52-7BAD43A8A417.jpeg

025E8AAB-19BD-46C1-9C3D-C20C68121D67.jpeg

15BFBC29-F906-4770-9AFC-26A44DE58824.jpeg

Baperrin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Mazda RX8, 2021 Toyota Supra (ordered)
Hey everybody - I've been searching the forum as well as elsewhere online, and it seems like this was the best place to discuss the Phantom Grey Supra. I've pre-ordered a 2021MY in Phantom Grey, but this will be my first matte paint vehicle and I'm super paranoid. The information here is definitely helpful; however, I'm wondering if anyone could chime in on a good starter set of products you'd recommend for any noob with matte paint. For example, I never even thought about getting a specific tool to scrub behind the rims. Any help would be appreciated! I want to make sure I'm ready to do everything I can to keep this car meticulous.

Thanks in advance!

J’s Mk5

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Phantom Premium
I was you a month ago!! Knew NOTHING abt matte paint and learned some hard lessons. First lesson, the Chemical Guys Matte paint stuff was garbage!! Total GARBAGE!! I read the reviews and read and re read the instructions and watched the video 3 times I was so GD paranoid!!! The stuff left streaks all over the finish! I was pissed!! Then I bought a gallon of the Maguires Gold series Shampoo (no wax!!) a cheap foam cannon off eBay/amazon and the full set of Dr Beasleys matte paint prescription—-THAT stuff works!!! Just follow the directions and you’ll be very very pleased with your results!!

2FFA735E-EE71-477C-B426-6C0D4DA4150B.jpeg

FEA16A3E-61D1-4B83-9DE9-80E005063E35.jpeg

J’s Mk5

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Phantom Premium
Ah,I forgot wheel care—-here’s where chemical guys comes through!!! Get their Iron DeCon—-a long soft wheel brush and you’ll be damn happy with how these wheels turn out! These giant brakes generate tons of brake dust!!!

Baperrin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Awesome, I will definitely look into these products asap! I appreciate your help!!

J’s Mk5

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Phantom Premium
Another tip, when you use the foam cannon, make sure the car is cool to the touch, and DRY. Then cover it in foam, let it sit until the foam starts to break down, then rinse it off. Any tough dirt/bugs, use the DB paint cleaner, let it sit a minute, then foam everything again and use a microfiber towel to wash it—-then rinse and dry and you’re good as new!

Baperrin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Another tip, when you use the foam cannon, make sure the car is cool to the touch, and DRY. Then cover it in foam, let it sit until the foam starts to break down, then rinse it off. Any tough dirt/bugs, use the DB paint cleaner, let it sit a minute, then foam everything again and use a microfiber towel to wash it—-then rinse and dry and you’re good as new!
Will do! I greatly appreciate your advice! Did you end up doing PPF? Everything I'm reading is that it is recommended against, but I know some people are still opting for it?

Voidec

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium, 2019 BMW X3 M40i, 2018 BMW M4, 2018 BMW M240i Xdrive, 2017 Lexus RC300 F Sport AWD, 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Will do! I greatly appreciate your advice! Did you end up doing PPF? Everything I'm reading is that it is recommended against, but I know some people are still opting for it?
everyone on this forum seems to have gone full wrap ppf with a few doing ceramic coating and a few ppf front and ceramic coat rest. Currently I am sitting a 1 week old supra and looking around to see if I can get the best pricing for PPF. Been told by many people who do both that the Supra is on par with a G Wagon and is the hardest to wrap. They also all seem to recommend ppf over ceramic coating. Issue is everything for ppf is expensive. I'm getting quotes of 10k+to full wrap from almost everyone.
Sponsored