MHD to release Map Switching + Antilag + Flex Fuel update for Supra in 2022

SoupaJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra GR premium
Reached out to MHD in regards to their latest B58gen1 update, and asked if we can expect the same update for b58gen2 anytime soon. Looks like we can expect it this year.

I for one am pretty excited for flex fuel, because I got tired of using my e40 tune since i had to keep manually measuring the blends with and ethanol content graduated cylinder, each time i needed to refuel, and that gets tiring after a while when the Supra is your daily lol.

1644350646764.png

1644350720265.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
SoupaJon

SoupaJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra GR premium
They have been claiming that for the past year... Just spend the money and go Ecutek
If it was in my budget I definitely would lol. Got into MHD following thicwhips opinions back in the day, didn’t realize how further ahead Ecutek actually was with their racerom and various features and support. I’m shooting for 550-600 since it’s my daily, but if I decide to go even higher then I will probably have to make the switch.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
If it was in my budget I definitely would lol. Got into MHD following thicwhips opinions back in the day, didn’t realize how further ahead Ecutek actually was with their racerom and various features and support. I’m shooting for 550-600 since it’s my daily, but if I decide to go even higher then I will probably have to make the switch.
Comparing OTS maps to an ECUTek tune, yes the cost difference seems substantial.... But
once you start adding in the cost of the Flex fuel add-on and custom tuning I feel the cost difference diminishes.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Legit, finally. I've been waiting for something new. The only reason why i didn't go Ecutek was because.... well... idk... i've just always heard about MHD from my bimmer friends before i got the Supra. Lol

synolimit

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
amg gts, ram 2500
Reached out to MHD in regards to their latest B58gen1 update, and asked if we can expect the same update for b58gen2 anytime soon. Looks like we can expect it this year.

I for one am pretty excited for flex fuel, because I got tired of using my e40 tune since i had to keep manually measuring the blends with and ethanol content graduated cylinder, each time i needed to refuel, and that gets tiring after a while when the Supra is your daily
what are you on now? I guess I just don't get how the JB4 or others work. I too don't want to have to worry about mixing. I just want to throw e85 in and go. maybe reflash to a 93 map if empty and there's no e85 around.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
what are you on now? I guess I just don't get how the JB4 or others work. I too don't want to have to worry about mixing. I just want to throw e85 in and go. maybe reflash to a 93 map if empty and there's no e85 around.
You're likely going to need more than a flex-fuel sensor to run full E85 if you plan on getting into boost. The stock fuel system can't handle it. Or detune it. Marin was just talking about this somewhere.

synolimit

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
amg gts, ram 2500
You're likely going to need more than a flex-fuel sensor to run full E85 if you plan on getting into boost. The stock fuel system can't handle it. Or detune it. Marin was just talking about this somewhere.
I don't even want a sensor or need it if you fill up with e85 all time time. a pump and injectors should be all that's needed as long as you can tune for them.

OP
OP
SoupaJon

SoupaJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra GR premium
I have the same concerns as you. I did some research into this because I wanted to achieve the same goal.

So I’m on MHD right now, but currently MHD doesn’t support any Flex Fuel kits (auto detecting and adjusting for E-content in the fuel), so while I do have an E40 tune, I only use it for special occasions because mixing gets old fast. So I run an OTS 93 map daily, from MHD.

I called Titan Motorsports 2 days ago, and learned that in order to achieve straight E85, you need to have Ecutek, Low pressure fuel pump upgrade, port injection, flex fuel kit, and turbo upgrade. And they highly recommend upgrading the heat exchanger as well. All of this comes out to around $7000 including labor (also including paying for the Ecutek license and tune since I’d have to swap over from MHD). Probably around $6000 without the heat exchanger. But this also doesn’t factor in upgraded axels, which is definitely recommended at the 600whp range.

With MHD coming out with the Flex Fuel support this year (hopefully), I’m fine with holding out for now. It’ll be a lot easier blending with the Flex fuel kit so I don’t have to worry about getting the exact percentages correct.

synolimit

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
amg gts, ram 2500
I have the same concerns as you. I did some research into this because I wanted to achieve the same goal.

So I’m on MHD right now, but currently MHD doesn’t support any Flex Fuel kits (auto detecting and adjusting for E-content in the fuel), so while I do have an E40 tune, I only use it for special occasions because mixing gets old fast. So I run an OTS 93 map daily, from MHD.

I called Titan Motorsports 2 days ago, and learned that in order to achieve straight E85, you need to have Ecutek, Low pressure fuel pump upgrade, port injection, flex fuel kit, and turbo upgrade. And they highly recommend upgrading the heat exchanger as well. All of this comes out to around $7000 including labor (also including paying for the Ecutek license and tune since I’d have to swap over from MHD). Probably around $6000 without the heat exchanger. But this also doesn’t factor in upgraded axels, which is definitely recommended at the 600whp range.

With MHD coming out with the Flex Fuel support this year (hopefully), I’m fine with holding out for now. It’ll be a lot easier blending with the Flex fuel kit so I don’t have to worry about getting the exact percentages correct.
how does jb4 or MHD make a map or perimeters that trick the ECU into doing something that it doesn't want to do but can only trick it a certain %? just doesn't make sense to me I guess.

as for that parts list, I just don't see why you'd need all that. I see it if you're going to run all of that but not if you don't.

Ecutek-yes
low pressure pump?? e85 needs 30% more fuel, why go lower?
port injection- is this just getting new bigger injectors and fuel rail because no one has just 100% swap in injectors for this car?
flex fuel kit- why if you run e85 all the time?
new turbo- not needed if you want to stay OEM and lower power numbers
heat exchanger- with the OEM turbo you should be ok no?
axels- again OEM turbo and lower numbers.

I guess ill wait too. im sure the ECU will be cracked soon and Ecutek will have full control like they do on every other platform.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don't even want a sensor or need it if you fill up with e85 all time time. a pump and injectors should be all that's needed as long as you can tune for them.
Yeah- you could tune for just E85... The likely hood of finding

a) A tuner that will do this for a non-race car
and
b) A pump with 100% consistent E85

is low, but I'm sure it's around. If you're always using Ignite Red or something, yeah- but then why cheap out on the fuel system.

You also can't just "upgrade the injectors" on the B58, you'll need to go port, which means probably Reflex, which means you'll probably just run Visconti's kit, which has the sensor in it.

Ecutek will have full control like they do on every other platform.
Ecutek does have full control.

synolimit

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
amg gts, ram 2500
Yeah- you could tune for just E85... The likely hood of finding

a) A tuner that will do this for a non-race car
and
b) A pump with 100% consistent E85

is low, but I'm sure it's around. If you're always using Ignite Red or something, yeah- but then why cheap out on the fuel system.

You also can't just "upgrade the injectors" on the B58, you'll need to go port, which means probably Reflex, which means you'll probably just run Visconti's kit, which has the sensor in it.
im only going off years of other platforms. millions of tuners using e85 on several tuning options like Ecutek without issue. my only issue was a 370z and uprev that couldn't add enough timing so I lost HP on a NA motor so a went back to 93. valves were super cleaned though!!! as for your B.) what do you mean? lots of pumps that are E85 compatible. maybe not for this car but it shouldn't be an issue.

guess I have to see the design of the fuel system as it sounds like its not the standard.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
as for your B.) what do you mean? lots of pumps that are E85 compatible.

guess I have to see the design of the fuel system as it sounds like its not the standard.
E85 from the pump is never (read: rarely) actually E85, it runs all over from E50->E85. The quality varies. If you tune on good, pure E85, then you get some trash E85 from a pump, say it's actually E70, you're going to be tuned for more octane than you have. That's why we use flex or measure.

It's a standard direct injection system.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
you simply get a tune for e85 and one for 93oct or whatever fuel is most common where you are. and reflash when needed. MHD takes 7-10 seconds to flash. once Flex fuel is released, the care will auto adjust without a reflash with an CANBUS enabled flex fuel kit like mine and viscontis.

EDIT: JB4 does not do real flex fuel as it has no real control of fuel and timing. So don't think getting a JB4 will get you Flex Fuel functionality.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6

you only need a LPFP upgrade if you want to run beyond 700-750whp on E85. Yes, you can get a tune for straight e85. But you will not make more power than E40-E50 on the stock HPFP because it cant support it. But if you wanted one and was ok with a lower power E85 map, then it is indeed possible. But stock HPFP realm, you will make more power on E40-E50.
Sponsored