Miata Mx5 RF

Supra Jr.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 supra
Anybody here ever been in and drove the newer miata?? Keep hearing how fun they are in manual, most people who drive much nicer cars drove them and said it was a blast. Love the supra but with all the power you can't use even 25% of it on the street especially after you get it tuned , and I really miss a manual and not paying the markup for a new stick supra. Thoughts.........
Sponsored

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
Been considering a manual convertible NC3 as a third car for some time now, very rare to find as a soft top rather than folding hardtop in the UK. I REALLY miss having a convertible in the garage since I sold my F-Type.

Never driven one, but if it's half as good as my old S2000 it'll be an absolutle blast! The most fun and rewarding car I've ever had.

Last edited:

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base
I had a ND1 RF Club Sport. Ended up trading it in for the Supra out of impulse (mainly because I would only get the Refraction Blue). Anyways, I do miss the car. The ND2 added more power as well as the Recaro seats which pissed me off as the ND1 outside of the US had Recaro seats but I got the Brembo/BBS package.

Pros
- Easy to drive at its limits, very predictable, great handling and loved the styling of it. Infotainment was easy to use though the ND1's didn't have the CarPlay/Android Auto available (module can be purchased later on when it was released). Another thing I loved about the Miata was your sight lines from the driver seat (fender and hood are in view where you can easily gauge your lines or where you're at on the road) compared to the Supra where its just so bulgy (if that makes any sense to you) and hard to determine where you're at in terms of curves and turning (might be just me). Also has a very unique idea for cup holders which I liked especially when there is no passenger in the seat. Being 5'6", I did not have any issue with headroom and getting in/out of the vehicle was easy. Having the body color painted trim on the interior of the door panel was a nice touch as well giving a good place to rest your arm and an easy place to clean and not worry of wearing out your trim.

Cons
- As my daily, it was adequate but sometimes can feel a bit small (especially when you want to recline your chair). If you wanted to rest a little, got to be resting sitting up. I'm 5'6" so it was a little more comfortable but can still feel a little cramped. As mentioned in the pros, the Miata has great handling and very predictable but there was little more body roll than I prefer (easily can be modified out with sway bars). Passing requires downshifting to stay in powerband (coming from the RX8, this was not a surprise to me and something I'm used to but can be a little annoying for those who are used to having a little more HP/torque). Specific with the RF, you have minimal visibility for the rear, the blind spot monitoring helps a lot with that but can be jarring sometimes. One annoying thing for me though was the use of the 4 lug pattern, the BBS wheels were definitely nice but would prefer to go wider which limits wheel choice.

Final Thoughts
- As mentioned before, I miss the car and would love to get a ND again (maybe ND3). I honestly don't mind the ND1 and put some Recaro seats in there as the ND1 has a CARB legal supercharger which gives a nice power bump. Price point in my opinion was good for the RF and also I personally didn't feel guilty or felt like "babying" the car during spirited drives or track days as I feel with cars on a higher price point. I also can't help but just love the styling of the RF and every chance I had, kept the roof off.

OP
OP

Supra Jr.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 supra
I had a ND1 RF Club Sport. Ended up trading it in for the Supra out of impulse (mainly because I would only get the Refraction Blue). Anyways, I do miss the car. The ND2 added more power as well as the Recaro seats which pissed me off as the ND1 outside of the US had Recaro seats but I got the Brembo/BBS package.

Pros
- Easy to drive at its limits, very predictable, great handling and loved the styling of it. Infotainment was easy to use though the ND1's didn't have the CarPlay/Android Auto available (module can be purchased later on when it was released). Another thing I loved about the Miata was your sight lines from the driver seat (fender and hood are in view where you can easily gauge your lines or where you're at on the road) compared to the Supra where its just so bulgy (if that makes any sense to you) and hard to determine where you're at in terms of curves and turning (might be just me). Also has a very unique idea for cup holders which I liked especially when there is no passenger in the seat. Being 5'6", I did not have any issue with headroom and getting in/out of the vehicle was easy. Having the body color painted trim on the interior of the door panel was a nice touch as well giving a good place to rest your arm and an easy place to clean and not worry of wearing out your trim.

Cons
- As my daily, it was adequate but sometimes can feel a bit small (especially when you want to recline your chair). If you wanted to rest a little, got to be resting sitting up. I'm 5'6" so it was a little more comfortable but can still feel a little cramped. As mentioned in the pros, the Miata has great handling and very predictable but there was little more body roll than I prefer (easily can be modified out with sway bars). Passing requires downshifting to stay in powerband (coming from the RX8, this was not a surprise to me and something I'm used to but can be a little annoying for those who are used to having a little more HP/torque). Specific with the RF, you have minimal visibility for the rear, the blind spot monitoring helps a lot with that but can be jarring sometimes. One annoying thing for me though was the use of the 4 lug pattern, the BBS wheels were definitely nice but would prefer to go wider which limits wheel choice.

Final Thoughts
- As mentioned before, I miss the car and would love to get a ND again (maybe ND3). I honestly don't mind the ND1 and put some Recaro seats in there as the ND1 has a CARB legal supercharger which gives a nice power bump. Price point in my opinion was good for the RF and also I personally didn't feel guilty or felt like "babying" the car during spirited drives or track days as I feel with cars on a higher price point. I also can't help but just love the styling of the RF and every chance I had, kept the roof off.
Great response!!! But I'm afraid of losing so much power especially down low, and I'm tuned so definitely more power than stock, and I would get killed by my friends for trading in a 22 supra on a miata šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

OP
OP

Supra Jr.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 supra
Great response!!! But I'm afraid of losing so much power especially down low, and I'm tuned so definitely more power than stock, and I would get killed by my friends for trading in a 22 supra on a miata šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ if you could today trade back in for a ND2 would you or would you keep the supra???

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
Iā€™ve owned 4 Miatas. A NC2 PRHT, ND1 RF, NC3 PRHT, and ND2 RF (in that order). All manuals, and all a joy to drive. However, I also found them all exhausting on longer drives, especially road trips. Comes down to the noise and constant driver feedback. Both of those are pluses on a backroad IMHO, but not ideal for me as a daily driver. I also live at altitude, and the power just isnā€™t enough for me here. Closer to sea level itā€™d be adequate. Especially with the ND2 motor which was so nice to rev out.

I think a Miata is a perfect 2nd/3rd car for fun drives. I donā€™t like having an extra car that doesnā€™t get driven often. So not the best fit for me atm.

OP
OP

Supra Jr.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 supra
Iā€™ve owned 4 Miatas. A NC2 PRHT, ND1 RF, NC3 PRHT, and ND2 RF (in that order). All manuals, and all a joy to drive. However, I also found them all exhausting on longer drives, especially road trips. Comes down to the noise and constant driver feedback. Both of those are pluses on a backroad IMHO, but not ideal for me as a daily driver. I also live at altitude, and the power just isnā€™t enough for me here. Closer to sea level itā€™d be adequate. Especially with the ND2 motor which was so nice to rev out.

I think a Miata is a perfect 2nd/3rd car for fun drives. I donā€™t like having an extra car that doesnā€™t get driven often. So not the best fit for me atm.
Well my supra is my 2nd fun car so that's ok but I don't have many backroads with twists in New Jersey. So you think the supra is obviously a better car??

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
If you've never done it, take a test drive! It will literally make you laugh out loud. Do NOT ride in the car. As a passenger, the Miata is a miserable experience.

The car has next to no power. Which means you get to floor the gas pedal, row the gears, make all sorts of noise, and look down and see you are going 45mph.

The car corners on rails. The only "must have" mod is the front sway bar. Beef that bad boy up and your car is pure ridiculousness. Need to make the left and your going 45. Ok. No brakes just turn.

The car is only OK for long travel. The little car does lose it's appeal when you are forced to drive in traffic for awhile. With trucks racing each other at 60 vs. 61 mph on I40 can be miserable.

I do NOT actually recommend the RF. To each their own. But understand that you cannot put a roll bar in an RF and keep the targa functionality. The top does not have any support to it. Its a convertable with a shell -- no B pillar holding up the back. So with no B pillar and no real roll bar you are kind of riding dirty. BUT -- the car does have a little more weight up front between a pillar and front of car so it rolls over onto the hood rather than on the passengers.

If you plan on racing the car, I recommend whatever package gets you the Brimbo Brakes. Get the sway. Stay away from power modes OTHER than a tune with E85. Unlike the Supra, the MX5 can use E85 right out of the pump. Granted this was with the ND1, not sure about the ND2. Might read up on that one.

Seriously. Take it for a test drive. If for nothing else but for the fun of it.

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Nitro Yellow A90 Supra, 10 Honda Fit Sport 5spd
I actually had an ND2 RF club prior to my supra!

It was fantastic, super playful, and power was extremely usable. Honestly just swaybars and sticky tires made the thing rotate like the center of the car was pinned down. I only had the car for about 9 months until I got an awesome opportunity to sell it and get my A90. I do regret not keeping it longer since I've always wanted an s2k. It almost seems like the ND2 is the spiritual successor to the ap2.

In a handful of years I'm hoping to get a cheap used ND2 after they've gone down in price and make it purely a touge/autoX car and keep the A90 as a track car.

OP
OP

Supra Jr.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 supra
I actually had an ND2 RF club prior to my supra!

It was fantastic, super playful, and power was extremely usable. Honestly just swaybars and sticky tires made the thing rotate like the center of the car was pinned down. I only had the car for about 9 months until I got an awesome opportunity to sell it and get my A90. I do regret not keeping it longer since I've always wanted an s2k. It almost seems like the ND2 is the spiritual successor to the ap2.

In a handful of years I'm hoping to get a cheap used ND2 after they've gone down in price and make it purely a touge/autoX car and keep the A90 as a track car.
That's what I'm saying, it's seems like you should upgrade to a supra from a miata and not the other way around!!!

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Nitro Yellow A90 Supra, 10 Honda Fit Sport 5spd
That's what I'm saying, it's seems like you should upgrade to a supra from a miata and not the other way around!!!
Haha to be fair, my uncle just switched from his C7 Z06 to an ND2 RF and LOVES it. He told me the exact same thing i said when I drove it "you can stay foot the floor, rowing through gears feeling like you just hit 100 and realize you just broke 60, it's fantastic"

I will say, miatas on backroads are perfect

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
Well my supra is my 2nd fun car so that's ok but I don't have many backroads with twists in New Jersey. So you think the supra is obviously a better car??
l lived in Iowa with my first Miata and still loved it. It's the kind of car that's fun to just drive around town.

Is the Supra the better car? I think it's the better daily driver, but outside that it depends on what you're after. As others have said: test drive a ND and see what you think. I still had my ND2 when I test drove the Supra for the first time and the difference was massive. The ND was much much more raw and engaging. The Supra feels more like a regular car around town. For some that's a plus, others not so much. I'm in the plus category at this stage in my life.

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
My friend just got a new Miata and loves it. He previously had an Alpha 7 Nissan GT-R. The Miata is an excellent drivers car speed isnā€™t everything sometimes
Woah, woah.."speed isn't everything sometimes.?? Haha
Kidding aside, yea same argument with the GR 86, etc. Def fun to drive a slower car at the limit sometimes, than a fast car barely.

Screenshot_20231011_113058_Google.jpg

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
As I mentioned above, NC soft top for me. I couldn't have a ND, looks great from the front (especially) and side, but the rear is truly awful! No idea what they were thinking with those lights. Can make it look slightly better with a centre exhaust, but that's about it really.

Out of interest, what's so special about the ND2 engine, what changes did they make? Same engine with a different map, perhaps cams?

The Duratec in the NC is pretty tuneable for a NA car.
Sponsored