• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
current: 2016 Audi A7 . Past: 996TT,997cab, 997TT, R8 V10, 13 FR-S
I think cars become frumpy with long front and rear overhangs. Think 911.
Sponsored

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7

SupraGuy19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CRV Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I feel that the proportions of the FT-1 is spot on, especially the length of the vehicle. This gives it a long sleek hood which gives it the classic sports car look. Furthermore, how wide the FT-1 is also gives it a menacing stance. Why can't they just keep the proportions the same? Why do they have to decrease the size by 10%? This just makes it so similar in size to an 86, Celica, or Integra, but a Supra is supposed to be a grand tourer.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
eh, the saddest part about the decrease in size for me is losing the +2 seating...the reduction in size/proportions was inevitable, there aren't too many ultra-curvaceous coupes that cost less than $70 K..the FT1 is more stylized than say the LC 500 and look where that ended up. I am more worried about how watered down the looks will turn out..

OP
OP
gymratter

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Why do they have to decrease the size by 10%? This just makes it so similar in size to an 86, Celica, or Integra, but a Supra is supposed to be a grand tourer.
obviously cost savings; its just cheaper to the reskin the Z. but another reason i think is weight. all the online rumors have said they want to keep it around 3,000 lbs or so. the FT1 concept is similar in size to both the RC and LC, so one would think if the new Supra was round the same size it would have most likely just have been 200lbs or so lighter. on the Lexus website it has the RC350 at 3,748 lb and the RCF at 3,958 lb. no official word on the LC yet, but magazines and test drivers have estimated it at 4,200 lbs.

the last Supra wasn't that much larger than the 86. people really need to stop acting like it was the size of a S-class coupe.

Last edited:

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
A smaller car drives better. The concept was grossed up for stage presence, not for driving dynamics or passenger comfort.

3,400?? Sub 3k lbs is what we want, and what was advertised back in....sigh... 2014. It's completely doable considering the 2+2 Porsche 911 has a curb weight of 3,175. We'll see.

Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISSAN Silvia S15 Spec-R
Toyota made the biggest mistake by making the new Supra based on the joint BMW platform.
The best (realistic) option in my opinion would be to take the LC500 platform, that is amazing, has the MKIV Supra lines, and develop it under Toyota and GRMN as Supra MKV.
Gazoo Racing is already pushing the platform boundaries as in the first 2 races in GT500 in the Japanese GT Championship, the LC outperformed all other competitors.
That platform with a V6 3.0 twin turbo hybrid topping 400-500hp would be the best solution.
Instead the chose to go the other way....

OP
OP
gymratter

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Toyota made the biggest mistake by making the new Supra based on the joint BMW platform.
The best (realistic) option in my opinion would be to take the LC500 platform, that is amazing, has the MKIV Supra lines, and develop it under Toyota and GRMN as Supra MKV.
Gazoo Racing is already pushing the platform boundaries as in the first 2 races in GT500 in the Japanese GT Championship, the LC outperformed all other competitors.
That platform with a V6 3.0 twin turbo hybrid topping 400-500hp would be the best solution.
Instead the chose to go the other way....
if they had gone this route i dont think the car would be affordable, and only people like Sun Devil could buy one :p

OP
OP
gymratter

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
size wise there isn't much differences between the 911 and Cayman.

porsche-911-carrera-2016.jpg

porsche-718-cayman-2016.jpg

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Base on the 17 inch wheels this is how it stacks up to the MKIV. The length is roughly the same, but the wheelbase is just a hair shorter. If I had to take a guess, maybe 2 inches less?

X3yv6fa.png
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.