Not open for further replies.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
I still can't get over that name lol. Gazoo Racing. TRD sounds so much better. As long as the hotter version is worth then that's great news. I just hope its not disappointing like the "hot version" of the BRZ/86 with only 5hp more.
We have already been told that TRD would most likely be used in the US. That wasn't really a "hot version". It was just a facelift.
Sponsored

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
But that Nissan offered supercar slaying performance. Hell even when the GTR first came out in 07, it was going for $75k and people were buying it because it was giving them $150k Porsche 911 Turbo performance. For a dealer markup of $80k, this Supra better be faster than a C7 Grand Sport.
I mean yeah of course, we can sit back and talk about price per performance value all day long in logical economic fashion. But that is irrelevent to markups. If the dealer markups the A90 to $120k and someone buys it, it's their completely irrational choice they made, not my problem, not yours, nor does it impact the future sales success of the vehicle

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
The markups can hurt the car sales though if it stays up there for too long.
Luckily in America we have a free market (lol) where consumers and dealerships will compete for price and sales where it will level out accordingly

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Yeah but even now at heavily discounted prices, they are barely moving them. I think people are just not willing to pay that much with an Acura brand on it. Which is too bad since it's a great car that is fast as hell.
Has a damn nice interior too

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
You think anyone in their right mind is gonna pay $80k for a Toyota? Lol. I don't care how good the car is but for $80k, why not just buy a GT350, C7 Grand Sport, ZL1 Camaro, M3/M4, RS5, C63, or a Cayman GTS? I never said it won't sell because of markups. All I am saying is since its the new hot car to have next year, it will be marked up initially. If people are buying them for $80k, then yeah it will stay like that for a while (like when the Civic Type R stayed at $50k for a while). We just have to wait and see the reviews and see how good the car is. I mean take the new NSX. Was marked up when it first came out and now dealers have them heavily discounted since they can't sell the car because not many people are interested in it.
toyota-land-cruiser.jpg

Starts at $84k, Sells 3.5k/year on average between 2001 and 2017.

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
That's a SUV. They outsell cars especially sports cars by a large margin.
Land Cruiser is a truck. Not an SUV. Has a body that sits on a boxed frame = truck.
Honda Ridgeline = Not a truck

GrayFox_MK5

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 350z Nismo, BMW 135is 6MT
Land Cruiser is a truck. Not an SUV. Has a body that sits on a boxed frame = truck.
Whatever. As long as it seats 5, big, practical and looks like a SUV people will buy it. Let's see how many Supra's Toyota moves if its marked up to 80k. Guaranteed it won't be 3.5k units.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
^Interesting take, thanks. Lying next to the US elephant here in Canada it's easy to forget the importance of the domestic market to Toyota's design and engineering of the A90.

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I believe the strategy would be just like with the 86. Dealer lots donā€™t stock a lot. Itā€™s usually on a per-prder-basis. Once you put down a reservation, itā€™s non refundable(and you have to wait); unlike when you reserve for a Rav4, Corolla, or Camry, you can get your reservation back anytime. Besides, Tada said that their goal is not to sell a lot of cars; but to sell the Supra to people who love cars a lot.:drive:

If the 86 was a hit, especially in the beginning, the Supra MkV could also be a hit; but pricing would play a HUGE role in determining the carā€™s success.

Last edited:

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
No he's right, a SUV is also body on frame. You are thinking of CUVs.

CUV = Rav4, Highlander, C-HR, RX, NX, UX.
SUV = Sequoia, Land Cruiser, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, GX, LX.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.