Leaked! Rear of 2020 Toyota Supra!

Status
Not open for further replies.

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport
I'm surprised and quite impressed with just how many styling cues the MKV is incorporating from the FT-1. After decades of concept cars that look nothing like the production models they preceded, it's awesome to see the MK5 arrive actually looking much like the concept it's based upon.
Sponsored

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Being how similar Toyota kept the MKV to the FT1 concept, I'm hoping the Alpha car we're all anticipating has a similar wing to the concept as well!...even with the active wing being out the window, I think a stationary version would fit the body lines well!

toyota-ft1-concept-pebble-beach-rear-wing-12.jpg

toyota-ft1-concept-pebble-beach-tail-light-exhaust-diffuser-26.jpg
Who said anything about the active wing being out the window :dunno::rolleyes::D.

Supra21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mercedes Benz C250
Let me think...
Not a single test mule or prototype ever sporting any kind of a wing, despite mountains of real world testing?
Not a comment anywhere from Toyota about a wing?
The rear hatch has been seen up in pictures and clearly wouldn't have the depth support anything like the height rise of the FT1?
The realOEM leak showing no hint/sign/omen of anything like a wing?
The duckbill /nascar style lip on the back that would make it look like a double spoiler with a wing?
The discussion(s) about the of a poly-carbonate hatch suitability for AFTERMARKET spoiler applications?
... thats prob why people say there is going to be no spoiler or wing.
You seemed to have overlooked the fact that we were talking about the serialized cars that are to come in the future...those of which where talks of a spoiler have long been discussed on this forum.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
It's certainly possible to design a spoiler like the FT-1 had for the Supra. Ofcourse it will require a different hatch, but we may see it one day. Or we may not.

It doesn't appear that it will be a release-time option.

Jeff

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Who said anything about the active wing being out the window :dunno::rolleyes::D.
now it definitely seems like you've been forced to be as positive as you can be in order to avoid the banhammer lol....why the hell would they add the weight back in on a pretty useless & bloated feature? only needs a normal wing.

Novice_Mentality

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Subaru WRX STI, 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2015 Ducati 899 Panigale
now it definitely seems like you've been forced to be as positive as you can be in order to avoid the banhammer lol....why the hell would they add the weight back in on a pretty useless & bloated feature? only needs a normal wing.
Unless they are using lightweight materials, thus increasing the price of the Supra. That would be part of the reason for a higher priced GRMN version.

Useless? I don't think so...bloated, not if they use the right materials.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Unless they are using lightweight materials, thus increasing the price of the Supra. That would be part of the reason for a higher priced GRMN version.

Useless? I don't think so...bloated, not if they use the right materials.
I think anyone serious about performance would take a fixed wing over a retractable one and no matter what a fixed one will always be lighter and more effective. Look at the LFA, they ditch the retractable wing for a fixed one on the N-ring edition...never once have I seen a serious retractable wing, they are all made for show such as on the Panamera..plus, since the wing would have to be built into the trunk/hatch unlike on a 911, LFA, Veyron, even FT-1 where they don't even have a trunk, how high do you think the wing could actually go? If they make a retractable wing it would be like the RC F/LC 500 one where it is more of a ducktail spoiler..

So yes useless bloatware, they should spend money on equipment we actually care about like a manual transmission...

Last edited:

Novice_Mentality

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Subaru WRX STI, 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2015 Ducati 899 Panigale
I think anyone serious about performance would take a fixed wing over a retractable one and no matter what a fixed one will always be lighter and more effective. Look at the LFA, they ditch the retractable wing for a fixed one on the N-ring edition...never once have I seen a serious retractable wing, they are all made for show such as on the Panamera..plus, since the wing would have to be built into the trunk/hatch unlike on a 911, LFA, Veyron, even FT-1 where they don't even have a trunk, how high do you think the wing could actually go? If they make a retractable wing it would be like the RC F/LC 500 one where it is more of a ducktail spoiler..

So yes useless bloatware, they should spend money on equipment we actually care about like a manual transmission...

I was going off the fact that it was going to be on the GRMN version, thus I trust that those engineers tasked with working on the ā€œtrackā€ variant of the car would leave it if there were serious advantage to it. Of course Iā€™d prefer a manual version over a retractable wing. I think anyone interested in the track version would be.

RyanGT3RS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red 991.2 GT3RS, M and AMG,s
The Mk4 getting mopped by the Mk5? In what way? Look I get it we are all hyped about the car but let's not get ahead of ourselves just falling for the hype for no reason. If you are talking around a track sure the Mk5 will be faster as it's lighter, tuned for track use and has a shorter wheelbase. But in terms of tuning potential and straight line speed? Let's see the Mk5 and the BMW B58 running 10 second quarter miles with bolt ons before we can say it "mops" the Mk4 and lets see those 1000hp builds.

Performance is not only judged by quarter mile times or straight line speed. Besides, these days 10 sec cars arenā€™t quite as hard to attain compared to the 90ā€™s and early 2000ā€™s. Each their own though.

Iā€™m positive it will be better in steering feel, balance, lighter, handling, with a better chassis, weight distribution, etc.... only time will tell, but from the reviews itā€™s already there. These attributes are more important to me as a potential buyer.

McGregory

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.toyota-supra.de
Car(s)
Supra MKIV, Celica T23, Datsun 240z
Let's see the Mk5 and the BMW B58 running 10 second quarter miles with bolt ons before we can say it "mops" the Mk4 and lets see those 1000hp builds.
It is always embarrassing with the MKIV to start at 5000 rpms and spinning tires at the traffic light against a small pizza delivery car

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase
I was going off the fact that it was going to be on the GRMN version, thus I trust that those engineers tasked with working on the ā€œtrackā€ variant of the car would leave it if there were serious advantage to it.
You would think so, however with most consumer products, accounting, sales and marketing departments have the power to overrule engineering at every level.

Engineering: We want this spoiler. It will increase downforce under braking by 6.7% and improve lateral Gs by 0.03. If you will turn to page 9 you'll see-
Marketing: Yes... yes... those are indeed numbers we can advertise.
Accounting: But at what cost!? Are people willing to pay more for this?
Sales: Haha! Chill bro. We can sell the downhumping and that other thing as long as we can toss in a subwoofer or gift cards.
Marketing: With an edgy Millennial-focused ad campaign we can make this work. Added-value and all that.
Accounting: What about the supply chain? Logistics. Logistics!
Engineering: *sigh* Look, without this spoiler some people might die... or something.
Lawyers: Ahem, when you say "some", what percentage are we talking about? We only ask out of curiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.