rhcpfreak7

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra 3.0 Prem, 2014 Shelby GT500
Hey all,

I just wanted to get an initial post out there to share my progress on modding or otherwise perfecting my 2023 GR Supra 3.0 (named Hela, less for her green aethsetic but her darkness and *ahem* sexiness). I have had it since beginning of September (1.5 months) and have ordered/installed most of the cosmetic or recommended initial mods:

-AMS Anti-Wind buffeting kit

-Premium Auto Styling Tail-light Face/Deck, Side Markers, Rear Bumper Markers and Toyota emblem tints

- Display screen protector

- Rear license plate protector (smoked)

- OBDLink MX+ and Bimmercode App (ASD off, Sport+ mode unlock, Rear camera banner removal)

- Uniden R8 Radar Detector

- BlackVue DR900X-2CH Front/Rear w/ Battery Pack (still need to complete the harrowing install)

I think the biggest thing I want to share is the blacked out look the car has, while I continue to master it. It was the first cosmetic mod I insisted on with my Shelby, and I'm excited with how incredible the Supra is looking with it.

I am working now on getting some high heat primer and flat black spray paint to take off the exhaust tips for painting, as well as doing the Front/Rear calipers since the red drastically clashes with the overall look. I intend to paint those ugly cross bars on the engine as well, since they too clash (though unseen mostly anyway).

I've looked into a downpipe, but honestly don't hear much of a difference in sound in YouTube videos I've seen directly comparing stock vs aftermarket. I am also concerned with any mod that requires tuning, since it's clear it's not easy to modify the ECU or otherwise tune in these cars.

The DIY write ups in the forum have been great. I intend to use the Blackvue Cam install one to accomplish once I have my battery pack in, and intend to give the Stereo improvement DIY a shot sometime to improve that.

Stickier tires on a dedicated swappable rear wheel set would be a consideration down the road as well, as I look to add more power. I actually put the MPSS on my Shelby when I got her, which on an 800hp car still lack, but am trying the MT ET Street SS on it here soon, so perhaps the same may work for the Supra.

That is all. Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated. I am loving this forum so far and look forward to sharing, learning, and seeing more from the community.

20221021_111427.jpg

20221021_111119.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
rhcpfreak7

rhcpfreak7

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
After MANY hours of work (4ish) and tearing up my hands, my Blackvue Cam is installed!!!

It was dark by the time I finished so I haven't gotten a chance to see how good the videos are, but I'm super glad it's done and over. Thanks to @jgoad13 for his thread on here with instructions. I followed it nearly to a tee, my only issue was getting the rear camera from the hatch rubber hose to the third brake like center panel (so I just routed the wire out of the circle panel midway between them directly to the cam).

Also, about a week ago, I was able to take off the exhaust tips and get them a nice matte black spray paint look.
20221031_153207.jpg

I think it really makes the rear look SO much better with the full blackout look. The only non-black is the GR badge and the fourth brake light.

Today I was able to get the strut bars in the engine bay off to get them a nice matte black look to, ending the machined chrome clash they give the bay. I'll get a photo tomorrow to post and show how much better they look.

The only thing left now is to put her up, remove the wheels, and spray paint the red calipers to remove the last glaring trace of color clashing with the blackout look. I'll update after I do, but it may a week or two before I get to it.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
After MANY hours of work (4ish) and tearing up my hands, my Blackvue Cam is installed!!!

It was dark by the time I finished so I haven't gotten a chance to see how good the videos are, but I'm super glad it's done and over. Thanks to @jgoad13 for his thread on here with instructions. I followed it nearly to a tee, my only issue was getting the rear camera from the hatch rubber hose to the third brake like center panel (so I just routed the wire out of the circle panel midway between them directly to the cam).

Also, about a week ago, I was able to take off the exhaust tips and get them a nice matte black spray paint look.
20221031_153207.jpg

I think it really makes the rear look SO much better with the full blackout look. The only non-black is the GR badge and the fourth brake light.

Today I was able to get the strut bars in the engine bay off to get them a nice matte black look to, ending the machined chrome clash they give the bay. I'll get a photo tomorrow to post and show how much better they look.

The only thing left now is to put her up, remove the wheels, and spray paint the red calipers to remove the last glaring trace of color clashing with the blackout look. I'll update after I do, but it may a week or two before I get to it.
Oops It Looks Like You Did A License Plate Doodle

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Welcome and any plans of using your free track day?

OP
OP
rhcpfreak7

rhcpfreak7

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Welcome and any plans of using your free track day?
I will probably look into doing it after the "winter" passes next year. I read your thread on Sebring a few weeks back, how did that go?

I have never been on a track and I'm wary about putting my car in harm's way, but I just KNOW I have to see what the Supra can do through some turns 😍

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I will probably look into doing it after the "winter" passes next year. I read your thread on Sebring a few weeks back, how did that go?

I have never been on a track and I'm wary about putting my car in harm's way, but I just KNOW I have to see what the Supra can do through some turns 😍
What a blast!!!! She did better than expected, honestly. What a great car for tracking! I‘ve tracked lots of cars in the past. Now see why the benefit outweighs the marketing risk. Your 1st track day will be a breeze. They will give you an instructor and you get to see what she can do in a very controlled safe environment. Glad to hear you’re considering it! It is sooooooo much fun, your car is made for it, and you’ll appreciate her even more!

OP
OP
rhcpfreak7

rhcpfreak7

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As promised, here are the before (generic stock image online) and after (Hela) of the strut braces painted matte black.
20221113_153059.jpg

What a blast!!!! She did better than expected, honestly. What a great car for tracking! I‘ve tracked lots of cars in the past. Now see why the benefit outweighs the marketing risk. Your 1st track day will be a breeze. They will give you an instructor and you get to see what she can do in a very controlled safe environment. Glad to hear you’re considering it! It is sooooooo much fun, your car is made for it, and you’ll appreciate her even more!
Now I'm super excited for next spring 😁 but will still enjoy spinning the tires and whipping the rear around turns now and then in the meantime lol

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
downpipes make a huge difference from stock, especially catless, even something like an AA catted makes a nice difference, and even more so paired with a nice catback. 100% worth it imo

OP
OP
rhcpfreak7

rhcpfreak7

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
downpipes make a huge difference from stock, especially catless, even something like an AA catted makes a nice difference, and even more so paired with a nice catback. 100% worth it imo
I've looked around briefly at downpipes, seeing that catless cause some sort of code to throw. Is this something I can program out with Bimmercode, is there another fix, or do you just live with it?

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I've looked around briefly at downpipes, seeing that catless cause some sort of code to throw. Is this something I can program out with Bimmercode, is there another fix, or do you just live with it?
shoot me a text (561) 236-6280 I'll go over all the options and how it works.
Sponsored