Modded Supra vs Cayman (GT?) vs C8 (Z06?)

Superooo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2018 Subaru Crosstrek
Hey all,

I’ve had my 2021 Supra since October 2020 and I’m feeling like trying something new. The car is completely stock except for some PS4S tires. My choices are the following:

Put 10k-20k into my Supra to completely revamp the suspension with MCS/JRZ components and replace all the bushing with rose joints, weld in some roll bars, add additional chassis stiffening, bucket seats, harness, and maybe a few more things.

I could also get a Cayman, perhaps a 981 GT4 or some other naturally aspirated version of a Cayman.

The other option is a C8 Corvette. But if I’m going there, might as well go all the way to a Z06. I’ll be stretching here but I’ll have a beast of a car. But it’s also a heavy car.

Which route would you take?
Sponsored

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
981 GT4 if you're not modding much and can/want to drive manual - they only came in stick.

C8 Z06, they're trading hands at over 180k.. And the motors are popping. And you get garbage 91 in CA.

I'd go P car since manuals are the way.

Allenyao09

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' Toyota GR Supra 3.0 MT
If this car is intended for track use only I would say the Supra is a better option for the price

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
% of street vs track?

Mostly street I'd pick GT4.
Supra for track work. I can beat a GT4 on track with a mostly stock Supra fwiw

The new Z06 is too much car for street- friend has one and says it is just crazy. And he won't track it because of the collectability and warranty concerns.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Zo6 if you’re keeping it stock. Gt4 if you want a manual

I wouldn’t pick a Supra over either unless you want to straight line race

bk5

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT
The Z06 is the right choice for fastest stock example out of that list. However, I don't think that they justify the insane price premiums being commanded by them right now. No matter how incredible the Z06 is, Chevy will make them forever and each iteration will be better than the previous one. So prices will eventually fall.

You can get C6 Z06s for high-30s/low-40s if you're willing to hunt and compromise on condition. They are special cars from the driver's seat, but from a market perspective, they probably won't be (until they are like 50-60 years old).

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
The C8Z is by far the best combination of a livable/usable daily and a weekend track weapon. The market is leveling off as supply has picked up and with the release of the E-ray, etc.. Markups are wayyy down and there occasionally MSRP deals popping up. Amazing value at MSRP, IMO. As for reliability issues - everyone comes to whine on the internet when they have a problem. Largely overblown and mostly from early cars; reports have dropped off dramatically while the number of C8Zs I see on track increases. I have friends that own and track them and will absolutely have one as my next car once I get burnt out on my C7Z manual and C8 Z51. Speaking of reliability.. IF you actually have an issue GM is excellent about warrantying failures that occur on track, unlike.. ahem... Toyota. Every car that I'm aware that has had a failure on or off track has been taken care of or even bought back without much BS.

The downside to any Corvette is the cost of consumables. Tires and brake pads are $$$ but you gotta pay to play.

EddieNel

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F350
My ecutek Supra is just shy of the c8 z06 on the track and a roll and half the price. I think they are ugly and not near what they are fetching for them. A hybrid turbo will smoke a stock 8zo6. Thanks but no thanks. The engines blowing on them is real. I know of two that have grenaded. Ill stay Supra. Fast and light.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
I think it depends on your budget and whether you're looking for a track car or a street sports/GT car.

I bought my '20 supra as a daily back in August 2020 for just under $50k. The C8 was brand new then and I wasn't even thinking of cross shopping since they were marking them up to near $100k at that point. I didn't bother cross shopping with ANY Porsche either - even the base models! - as the cost of maintenance and ownership was beyond my reach as well.

The 981 Cayman GT4 is a great driver's car. But now it's nearly a decade old and Porsche operating costs are only going to increase in cost and frequency - especially when buying used.

I rented and drove a C8 from Turo in LA last year and wasn't very impressed. At least not impressed enough to trade in my Supra and then add another $30-50k on top of that. The Z06 may be another story. But that's well over $100k at this point. I'm sure it's a great track car, but I'm personally more intrigued with the E-Ray as a daily sports/GT car.

It's a tough call for sure. However, take this with a grain of salt: I've chatted with some guys her in TX who own a performance shop and take their heavily modded Supra on the track quite often. They spent thousands on SPL suspension parts and didn't change or improve the car as much as they thought it would. I don't know what coilover setup they were running though.

Afterburn 549

First Name
stan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 GR 3.0
If you have money to burn do what ever
But
Remember Porsche 3.4 and 3.6 is not IF they will they will bore score , it is a matter of when.
Not a cheap fix.
Not my opinion but POA and several others.
That is why I opted for the GR.
I loved my old 911...but these are getting to be antiques...like me
Sponsored