MPG question

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
I have NEVER came close to that...
I average 17 mph but most of my driving is in town...I also have a very difficult time with not putting my foot in the Supras ass...just sayin...

Steve
Wow, that's worse than my STI. I'm nearly 100% city driving, but my average is about 24mpg. I drive it about the same as my STI, and that was just under 18mpg average. My RS3 was about the same, but I drove that in dynamic nearly 100% of the time.

As for the Supra, I'm plenty of being heavy on the throttle, but sport mode is reserved for when I'm hitting the twisties or passing someone, or just feel like being a popping, burbling, angry hooligan.

Highway mileage in this car is absolutely insane. I bought my car about 3 hours away, and averaged 38mpg on the way home - and that included an impromptu race. It absolutely blew my expectations out of the water, since I bought the car during the gas shortage, and was terrified that I wouldn't be able to find gas on the way home, and wouldn't be able to drive my new car very much for a bit. Well, I DID find gas, but could have easily gotten home with plenty to spare.

Back to the point of this post - no idea why they're capable of such insane gas mileage. Must just be the holy grail of power, weight, and aerodynamics. I'm with you - this is the best car I've owned for gas mileage, by far. I certainly didn't buy this car for gas mileage, but it has been an absolutely fantastic unexpected benefit.

Finishing on a funny story, due again to the gas shortage, I drove my STI very gingerly on the 3 hour drive to the dealership to trade it for the Supra. I was extremely conscious of acceleration, minded the speed I was cruising at, etc. Definitely not hypermiling, but definitely trying my best to see what it could do in a reasonable scenario. Managed 23.5mpg on that trip. That was the absolute best I could muster!
Sponsored

roadtripper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
The key to good gas mileage is comfort mode and cruise control! A couple months ago I Took a drive over to the devils hwy in AZ. Outside of Alpine Az I go hit with instant radar. Trooper said he will drop the speed a little so I didn't have to go to jail. Heading back home I set the cruise at 75 mph for the next 250 miles. I got 43 mpg!

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Part of the reason I got rid of my RC-F and got the Supra was the mileage potential. No matter how boring I drove that I couldn't get above 18mpg... and if I was actually enjoying driving it... more like 10-12. That thing was such a boat!

One thing I've noticed is that since I've coded it to start in sport mode (but with the transmission in balanced) is that I actually get better gas mileage on my commute. I think because I feel less of a need to push it as hard since it's more responsive with less throttle input.

Every once in awhile I switch over to sport plus... then I figure I'm getting about 15mpg if that - but it's definitely more fun.

You're driving it they way you're supposed to?..
Definitely doing nothing wrong...

Steve
LOL! Despite rarely doing so, I completely agree with that. For me however, most of my driving is simple commuting - I just prefer to do it in something that's not an SUV or sedan.

OP
OP

Count Mackula

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
Yeah, I absolutely LOVE the mpg in our cars. I make several 2-3 hour journeys a month in the car.
Having an Audi RS5 V8 before the Supra and getting 20-22 MPG on the same exact drive driving VERY conservatively, I never glanced at the what kind of gas mileage our car was getting. Especially since around town was literally 12 mpg.
It wasn’t until a week or two later when I was seeing 33-35 mpg (I was breaking the car in so I never mashed it) that I realized our cars are so fuel efficient.
Just makes me love the car even more.

OP
OP

Count Mackula

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
ONE MORE THING:

Being so fond of our gas mileage with an Intake, Exhaust, and DP.
If/when I get my car tuned via ecutek by Botti. Will that affect my gas mileage?

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Wow, that's worse than my STI. I'm nearly 100% city driving, but my average is about 24mpg. I drive it about the same as my STI, and that was just under 18mpg average. My RS3 was about the same, but I drove that in dynamic nearly 100% of the time.

As for the Supra, I'm plenty of being heavy on the throttle, but sport mode is reserved for when I'm hitting the twisties or passing someone, or just feel like being a popping, burbling, angry hooligan.

Highway mileage in this car is absolutely insane. I bought my car about 3 hours away, and averaged 38mpg on the way home - and that included an impromptu race. It absolutely blew my expectations out of the water, since I bought the car during the gas shortage, and was terrified that I wouldn't be able to find gas on the way home, and wouldn't be able to drive my new car very much for a bit. Well, I DID find gas, but could have easily gotten home with plenty to spare.

Back to the point of this post - no idea why they're capable of such insane gas mileage. Must just be the holy grail of power, weight, and aerodynamics. I'm with you - this is the best car I've owned for gas mileage, by far. I certainly didn't buy this car for gas mileage, but it has been an absolutely fantastic unexpected benefit.

Finishing on a funny story, due again to the gas shortage, I drove my STI very gingerly on the 3 hour drive to the dealership to trade it for the Supra. I was extremely conscious of acceleration, minded the speed I was cruising at, etc. Definitely not hypermiling, but definitely trying my best to see what it could do in a reasonable scenario. Managed 23.5mpg on that trip. That was the absolute best I could muster!
After owning my STI I actually started paying attention to what cars got for MPG in comparison to HP. I couldn't believe how bad the STI was. I remember driving in the city one afternoon pretty slow because of traffic and the car was stock minus a catback....so stock and it was getting like 15-16mpg. I remember after that meeting some guys at a C&C who had E85 conversions and they said they were getting about 350WHP and 8mpg ???

It was at that time I decided to start car shopping again.

kenkensupra

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
Filled up first tank yesterday and first drive to work was averaging 24mpg. This is the same as my previous type R. The free tank from the dealer was bad tho, maybe I was idling a lot playing around with the car settings.
Sponsored