My solution to the Tomei Type D exhaust fitment issue

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
I used stainless steel hose clamp on all the exhaust hangers against the rubber shock mount.
so far no shifting, no tearing of the mounts. No rattles and most important. Able to use all Tomei parts and have had no shifting
Tips are also evenly spaced apart. Pictures may look off as half assed them

4C1CC953-F6EB-4C22-83A1-99CFC4688B00.jpeg

8FF06898-9F51-4481-BF7A-486B0573EAD5.jpeg

155EDE83-E43B-416B-B19E-A61A1D804B3F.jpeg

EF83B4BD-CC05-4FC4-8DC3-63EBCE311A8A.jpeg

1CFA8FB5-5EC4-4C96-91BE-90D44904512A.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Great fix, OP! Used the same technique on one of my other cars with a Solo Performance exhaust. Had polyurethane hangers that were a bit slippery and just couldn't get the tips to hang centered. One worm gear clamp on each side was just right to keep the exhaust from going cockeyed.

RD29

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I'm annoyed with mine. The driver side exhaust extends further out than the passenger side. Probably about a good 1" or so. I traced all the fittings back to the Y-splitter and everything is as snug as can be. Glad you got yours fixed!

OP
OP
Benjilis

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
I'm annoyed with mine. The driver side exhaust extends further out than the passenger side. Probably about a good 1" or so. I traced all the fittings back to the Y-splitter and everything is as snug as can be. Glad you got yours fixed!
I recommend to start from downpipe to the mufflers. Get everything on tight and snug.
the mid pipes can’t be seen. I wanted them straight but found that having them on a slight angle like \ / was better to help adjust the mufflers and hence the tips. Also doing so provides spacing (very small) for the mid pipe so it doesn’t touch the heat shield.
the left should be fine the right one needs to be pushed towards the center of the car. This is where I used the ring on the first shock mount, so it won’t slide to the right of the car.

come to the mufflers. Align them by working the rubbershock mount. Move it inside or outside as the mufflers are connected with the brace. You’ll be able to figure out where it should go and what movements on either side effect the other side.
it’s trial and error.
I fuck with you not. It took me 6 hours to install it as I’m OCD.

the only issue I had, I noticed that the left exhaust shifted. Which was odd.
I noticed the bolt holding the 2 mufflers together fell off so there was only 1.
I switched them both out with a longer nut and added a washer as there was little spacing. All good now!

RD29

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I revisited the exhaust today. It took a good while to get the length they extend out even, and try to center the tips again. I ended up using some stainless steel zip ties to keep the exhaust hangers in place like you did. I had to remove the brace for them to work, hopefully it won't move around so much after driving for a bit. :thumbsup: I don't think I will get another Tomei exhaust after this!

OP
OP
Benjilis

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
I revisited the exhaust today. It took a good while to get the length they extend out even, and try to center the tips again. I ended up using some stainless steel zip ties to keep the exhaust hangers in place like you did. I had to remove the brace for them to work, hopefully it won't move around so much after driving for a bit. :thumbsup: I don't think I will get another Tomei exhaust after this!
The only time mine shifted was due to the connecting plate bolt coming undone at some point. Rip the person behind me at that time.
I got longer bolts and replaced them and used washers to not damage anything.

it takes time. I had to install from engine to rear. Then readjust from rear to front.

mince you adjust the mufflers just right while they are connected and tighten down on the hangers so they won’t move, you’re in the clear toadjust the mid section and dp area without compromising the mufflers/tips
Sponsored