Need Bench Tune after Brake System Update ? (help)

Ricardo

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I unfortunately took my car to the dealership and the service writer did the Brake Recall ECU update (or whatever it’s called) and now I lost my tune and ability to flash tune!!! I have a few mods on my car, but I have a new Pure 850 turbo, CSF cooling Billet Manifold and Port injection package all on the way!!! I know I need a bench tune now, according to what I hear and see, does anybody know anyone in the Bay Area that can do this?!? Should I wait until I install all the new mods to even do the bench tune?!? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I unfortunately took my car to the dealership and the service writer did the Brake Recall ECU update (or whatever it’s called) and now I lost my tune and ability to flash tune!!! I have a few mods on my car, but I have a new Pure 850 turbo, CSF cooling Billet Manifold and Port injection package all on the way!!! I know I need a bench tune now, according to what I hear and see, does anybody know anyone in the Bay Area that can do this?!? Should I wait until I install all the new mods to even do the bench tune?!? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
and now I lost my tune and ability to flash tune!!!
Yup. This is expected.

You need a bench unlock. Contact Visconti.

SupraGR21

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium
Personally I would be livid! I wonder; if you didn't sign for the recall, assuming its not a mandatory recall, can you sue them for doing something that was not acknowledged?

OP
OP
Ricardo

Ricardo

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Personally I would be livid! I wonder; if you didn't sign for the recall, assuming its not a mandatory recall, can you sue them for doing something that was not acknowledged?
I pretty much feel like I got kicked in the jewels!! I don’t think you can sue because it was an actual recall done my Toyota. It just sucks because I’m really new to the car scene and I don’t know anything about tunes and all that so everything that I’ve done has been through leaning on others expertise and trying to research shit… so I literally just lost everything for trusting a regular service writer.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I pretty much feel like I got kicked in the jewels!! I don’t think you can sue because it was an actual recall done my Toyota. It just sucks because I’m really new to the car scene and I don’t know anything about tunes and all that so everything that I’ve done has been through leaning on others expertise and trying to research shit… so I literally just lost everything for trusting a regular service writer.
You're fine, don't blow this out of proportion! Everything is ok. If your ECU was tunable, it's still tunable. Depending on your ECU date, it's possible that nothing has changed at all.

* Early 2020 Supras could be tuned without a bench unlock.
* Later 2020s and early 2021s needed a bench unlock, which is just one more process and a couple hundred bucks, no big deal. Once you're bench unlocked, you're as if you had an early 2020 ECU.
* Later 2021's are currently fucked, though it's possible for a price to become unfucked ($~3500 for the unfucking + the tune).

So if you were an early 2020, you got a couple of hundred bucks fucked. If you're 2020-2021, you're right as you were. If you're > 06/2020 you're still fucked, but nothing changed.

Here -> an official guide

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is a text-book example of blowing this out of proportion. And while yes, you can technically sue anyone for anything in the good ole US of A, it would be immediately dismissed.

OP
OP
Ricardo

Ricardo

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You're fine, don't blow this out of proportion! Everything is ok. If your ECU was tunable, it's still tunable. Depending on your ECU date, it's possible that nothing has changed at all.

* Early 2020 Supras could be tuned without a bench unlock.
* Later 2020s and early 2021s needed a bench unlock, which is just one more process and a couple hundred bucks, no big deal. Once you're bench unlocked, you're as if you had an early 2020 ECU.
* Later 2021's are currently fucked, though it's possible for a price to become unfucked ($~3500 for the unfucking + the tune).

So if you were an early 2020, you got a couple of hundred bucks fucked. If you're 2020-2021, you're right as you were. If you're > 06/2020 you're still fucked, but nothing changed.

Here -> an official guide
Thank you bro! This helps a lot!! I got an early 2020. So fingers crossed then that it’s a little easier.
question though? Should I install the parts once they arrive and then do bench unlock? Or should I just do it now?
thanks again bro.

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
I would get it bench unlocked now if your tuner can't do the unlock themselves.

If your tuner can do it, then just wait

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thank you bro! This helps a lot!! I got an early 2020. So fingers crossed then that it’s a little easier.
question though? Should I install the parts once they arrive and then do bench unlock? Or should I just do it now?
thanks again bro.
Get the bench unlock done first, then you're ready to rock.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
This is a text-book example of blowing this out of proportion. And while yes, you can technically sue anyone for anything in the good ole US of A, it would be immediately dismissed.
Right and I would love for someone to tell me how a manufacturer is liable for fixing a brake/safety issue on a car because you put an aftermarket tune on it. The responsibility is on the owner, if you tune your car your car you should just avoid the dealer knowing there is a recall for a safety issue.

SupraGR21

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not at all. We all have our statutory rights when purchasing a product. If said product is damaged or altered to something that is was not authorized you have a right to your defense. Here is the thing, OP now has to spend more money to bench his car now. Assuming that he could sue, if the dealer knew he could and could win they would pay for any damages. In this case the damages is changing the unlockable tune to a locked one which will cause him more money and headaches and issues that he didn't have before. While you see this as a "textbook" lawsuit example, this is in fact a huge inconvenience that they caused him. There isn't any need to sue everyone but dealers are the hardest to deal with and always a pain in the ass and wont help unless you threaten, simple as that.

Chgu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2013 FR-S
I’m betting there’s some form of EULA that is implicitly agreed to or buried in the service paperwork that was signed. And almost certainly, that says that Toyota are not responsible for aftermarket shenanigans not working after standard, factory approved service (or recall in this case). It’s not uncommon for software agreements to say that functionality may change without prior warning either. But you know, I’d be real curious to see how that pans out.

Edit: More specifically, read https://www.toyota.com/privacyvts/images/doc/Vehicle Software End User License Agreement Toyota.pdf

The recall was a software update. You're not allowed to modify their software or circumvent their security measures, which is what a "bench unlock" would be considered. That they modified the software they own (and granted you a license to use) is their right. ?‍♂

SupraGR21

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’m betting there’s some form of EULA that is implicitly agreed to or buried in the service paperwork that was signed. And almost certainly, that says that Toyota are not responsible for aftermarket shenanigans not working after standard, factory approved service (or recall in this case). It’s not uncommon for software agreements to say that functionality may change without prior warning either. But you know, I’d be real curious to see how that pans out.

Edit: More specifically, read https://www.toyota.com/privacyvts/images/doc/Vehicle Software End User License Agreement Toyota.pdf

The recall was a software update. You're not allowed to modify their software or circumvent their security measures, which is what a "bench unlock" would be considered. That they modified the software they own (and granted you a license to use) is their right. ?‍♂
Your exactly right. I miss the good old days where when you bought something you actually owned it ?

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
I second Visconti. They can do all the tuning remotely and the results are excellent.
Sponsored