New 2020 headlamp recall

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
Now.... if someone could only explain how on earth these plugs in the wrong hole could lead to a headlight failure or why they did not just use the same indented plug on both to save cost on parts that would be really nice to understand
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Yeah, this is the most stupid recall I've seen.. it appears to be a glare issue for oncoming traffic if the horizontal aim was touched inadvertently.

I thought I read in the service manual that if you make adjustments, you have to verify and make necessary adjustments on the other dial as well.. this is something a dealer should do anyway with the proper aiming equipment so not sure why it has anything to do with the consumer.

Maybe I'm just imagining things but here is evidence I appear to be not drunk (yet).

upload_2020-9-22_16-30-46.png

084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
08 4Runner / 99’ Lexus LX470 / Deposit 2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the instructions, my closest dealer is 2 hours away. I was recently at the dealer getting my first Toyota care oil change performed, as my wife had some medical stuff being done in the city, so I figured I would get the recall taken care of.

I called the dealership ahead of time asking if they could take care of the recall while the car was in for the oil change. I was told definitely not as parts needed to be ordered and a separate appointment made for the service.

After seeing this recall, it again reinforces that dealerships are mostly inept. (Not saying there aren’t mechanics and techs who know what they are doing, just talking in general terms).

I will perform this recall myself, just like I fixed the dim back-up cam....

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Honestly you can put e-tape over the horizontal adjustment plugs' slots if yours have the 4 slotted plugs just to remind the person doing the aim service they are now accessing the horizontal dials.

It's really silly because if one was to adjust the vertical dial, the service manual states the horizontal dial must also be adjusted to complete the service.

So if one was to replace the inner two slotted plugs (for horizontal adjustment) with non-slotted plugs, then they would need to remove the entire trim covering the top of the headlights to access the horizontal dials. Makes no sense.

TheDude22386

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Now.... if someone could only explain how on earth these plugs in the wrong hole could lead to a headlight failure or why they did not just use the same indented plug on both to save cost on parts that would be really nice to understand
It's a federal requirement that the horizontal aim should not be able to be adjusted.

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
It's a federal requirement that the horizontal aim should not be able to be adjusted.
if you could explain how that answer actually addresses any part of what i said that would be great because i am genuinely confused by it. Looking at the picture of how to actually adjust anything has precisely 0% to do with the plugs themselves and 100% to do with inserting screwdrivers once you pop the plugs out.

my question... again.... very simply.... how could the grooved plug in the flat plug hole and vice versa lead to a failure of the headlight.

TheDude22386

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
if you could explain how that answer actually addresses any part of what i said that would be great because i am genuinely confused by it. Looking at the picture of how to actually adjust anything has precisely 0% to do with the plugs themselves and 100% to do with inserting screwdrivers once you pop the plugs out.

my question... again.... very simply.... how could the grooved plug in the flat plug hole and vice versa lead to a failure of the headlight.
Your "Question" was "Now.... if someone could only explain how on earth these plugs in the wrong hole could lead to a headlight failure or why they did not just use the same indented plug on both to save cost on parts that would be really nice to understand"

Now, to read between the lines for you.... One plug is not meant to be removable by the customer. That plug is supposed to cover the horizontal aim screw and not be touch (for federal regulation). The other plug with the slot that IS meant to be removed and to adjust the vertical aim. Your assumption that them being in the wrong place would make the headlights fail somehow is erroneous.

The removable plug covering the wrong hole is why the recall was issued. You're not supposed to have access to the horizontal aim. The fact they messed up which plug to go where could allow a customer to do just that, voila, recalled issued to fix the plugs.

Understand now?
Sponsored