OEM Turbo with T51R insert

JWC67896

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction, 2004 Silverado 2500HD, 2004 Scion Xb, 2019 Jeep MOAB
Hey everyone is there a tq spec for those bolts for the turbo housing ?
Sponsored

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
That turbo noise would drive me crazy...

OP
OP
gixxersixxerman

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
That turbo noise would drive me crazy...
It's very annoying when the stock exhaust was on. but with the Tomei and now the SP1R it doesn't bother me. I can hear it, but it's no longer overwhelming like it was with the stock exhaust for sure. You gotta want an obnoxious ride to run these. Me and the guy that does them.... we never knew it was going to blow up like this.

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
@gixxersixxerman good for you guys! I think it's awesome when people accidentally make something that sells like hell and brings in the cash!

NZ-Supra

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A90 Supra 2020 BMW M340i Xdrive
It's very annoying when the stock exhaust was on. but with the Tomei and now the SP1R it doesn't bother me. I can hear it, but it's no longer overwhelming like it was with the stock exhaust for sure. You gotta want an obnoxious ride to run these. Me and the guy that does them.... we never knew it was going to blow up like this.
very impressed and how appealing it is especially on a Supra if it was done on a bmw that maybe be slightly different.

Iā€™m keen to do this but will I also get the turbo surge noise when off throttle?

My only worry is the parts that a pressed in coming loose?
Sorry in advance for the questions

OP
OP
gixxersixxerman

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
very impressed and how appealing it is especially on a Supra if it was done on a bmw that maybe be slightly different.

Iā€™m keen to do this but will I also get the turbo surge noise when off throttle?

My only worry is the parts that a pressed in coming loose?
Sorry in advance for the questions
idk if there is a set screw in there or not. As far as I know there is not. My understanding when he explained it is a frozen insert on a heats up housing being pressed in. It shouldnā€™t go any where. I was doing some work a couple weeks ago and itā€™s been on since the end of last year, over 9 months now and thousands of miles and still looks fine. That said 9 months and a couple thousand miles is not 9 years and tens of thousands of miles. Iā€™m confident in the work Matt did. He machined a few different inserts and wasnā€™t happy with at least one not holding its shape when inserted and getting warm. So he redesigned and redesigned until he came up with this one. And he has sold many of them.

as for the turbo sounds, once off throttle you wonā€™t hear anything but the wind down of the turbo. Itā€™s subtle but when I turn it off if you are outside by the hood you can hear it whistle down. It didnā€™t affect any of the bypass whoosh sounds or anything getting off throttle, but at highway speeds youā€™ll hear a whine. It was too much for me with the stock exhaust at the time, it with a aftermarket exhaust it blends in great and while youā€™ll hear it, itā€™s not unbearable for me anymore. If I did a lot of long distance trips though I doubt Iā€™d run it or the SP1R. Iā€™d probably go with something more quiet. But DD around town and 2-3 hour cruises I have no issues with my setup.

ricard_jdm

First Name
Ricard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.garaget.org
Car(s)
A90 Supra
This was exactly the thread I was looking for. I plan on doing this during the winter. Thanks for all the pictures and videos. Made the decission easy :D

ricard_jdm

First Name
Ricard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.garaget.org
Car(s)
A90 Supra
So now it was finaly my turn!
Install took about 2 hours and I did it without having to undo the downpie.
20231028_093648.jpg

20231028_164453.jpg

20231028_172554.jpg

20231028_172731.jpg

20231028_173838.jpg

The car feels just like normal but with a glorious T51R sound. I got a little taste on video for you all.
Super happy with it. Only downside now is that it's winter here in Sweden and I have to put the car in the garage fƶr 5 months :(

NZ-Supra

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hey guys people with the 6 port manifold how did you remove the compressor cover? I physically canā€™t get to the bolts on the right side as you look at the turbo

OP
OP
gixxersixxerman

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Hey guys people with the 6 port manifold how did you remove the compressor cover? I physically canā€™t get to the bolts on the right side as you look at the turbo
long 1/4" extension and a 10mm socket at the end of a wobble joint, I remove the downpipe and can feed it right through the back there to it. If you have a long breaker bar you can kinda bend the very end of a heat shield out of the way to reach it easier.

IMG_5140.jpeg
IMG_5139.jpeg
IMG_5142.jpeg

NZ-Supra

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
long 1/4" extension and a 10mm socket at the end of a wobble joint, I remove the downpipe and can feed it right through the back there to it. If you have a long breaker bar you can kinda bend the very end of a heat shield out of the way to reach it easier.

IMG_5140.jpeg
IMG_5139.jpeg
IMG_5142.jpeg
Thanks for this but the bolts are on the front? Itā€™s covered by the oil feed line and I cannot remove the housing at all. Is there anyway to keep the turbo in place and remove the compressor housing.
Sponsored