Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
With all the shit surrounding CTS I'm surprised lmao
I'm new to the forum and new to this platform in general. What do you mean by all the shit with CTS?
Sponsored

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra / 2019 Y61 Nissan Patrol
Want reliability, stay with the stock turbo, flash it, and call it day. Simple.
That is true. However, I made the thread to cover most turbo's, and give people an idea of what it means to go for a turbo upgrade.

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm new to the forum and new to this platform in general. What do you mean by all the shit with CTS?
When the CTS turbo launched well it was for lack of a better word a shit show. A lot of people had their turbos blown on the first days and the coming weeks.

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not knowing much about turbo upgrades. I’m more concerned about how well the B58 (seals, internal parts, etc…), handles the increase in boost. Is there data collected from these turbos geared towards a smooth curve/consistent delivery of boost vs whether the turbo itself shits the bed?

Edit: At the root of it. While one turbo may be voted more reliable than the other. In my mind that itself takes a back seat to the potential issues/consequences of upgrading the turbo in the first place.
From what I searched before hand. The B58 can handle power and so much of it in fact. Some people are pushing 700 800 whp on stock internals. Some even push 1000 whp, but these don't last very long. I would say somewhere around 750 - 800 whp you should start building an engine. But it's debatable. Nevertheless the B58 is a beast at handling more power and boost.

Zupra_Toscana90

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tungsten Silver A90
As someone who had 2 CTS turbos burning oil like a MOFO, I vote top mount. Ripped that junk out and run a Precision 6870. Should have just went this route from the beginning.

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
As someone who had 2 CTS turbos burning oil like a MOFO, I vote top mount. Ripped that junk out and run a Precision 6870. Should have just went this route from the beginning.
But aren't there multiple top mount kits available for the supra? I think that option is pretty broad if we are listing hybrid turbos by brand.

Zupra_Toscana90

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tungsten Silver A90
But aren't there multiple top mount kits available for the supra? I think that option is pretty broad if we are listing hybrid turbos by brand.
Well listing a Precision 6870 is pretty specific....there's only a couple kits available (ETS and KLM are the primary two). But pretty much running that turbo on either kit is going to yield similar quality and results +/- a few HP

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Big oof 2 CTS turbos? But yes top mounts hold more power and are more reliable as they are turbo's from well known brands. However, it hurts your wallet.

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
There aren't that many hybrid turbos which stick in the OEM location. However, top mounts yes it has more to it and you pay more and it's more work, but you can slap any turbo you want on a manifold and be right as rain. But still depends on the kit you're going for and what turbos they provide etc.

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Zupra_Toscana90

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tungsten Silver A90
Big oof 2 CTS turbos? But yes top mounts hold more power and are more reliable as they are turbo's from well known brands. However, it hurts your wallet.
To be fair when I say 2 CTS, it was warrantied, I have yet to send the 2nd one off....not even sure if I will. May just outsource it to get repaired and sell it or sell it as is to someone who wants to repair it or take a risk with it.
Sponsored