First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32169942/2021-toyota-supra-fuel-economy-mpg/

2021 Toyota Supra Loses Fuel Economy, Gains 47 HP
The new Supra gets a more powerful 382-hp inline-six but is now EPA rated at 25 mpg.

• The 2021 Toyota Supra is good for EPA fuel economy of 22 mpg city, 30 mpg highway, and 25 mpg combined.
  • It's powered by an updated, more powerful version of the BMW turbocharged inline-six that makes 382 horsepower and 368 lb-ft of torque.
  • The new, more powerful model suffers a loss of 2 mpg in the city and 1 mpg on the highway compared to the 2020 model.
In its second year of production, the Toyota Supra has gained an updated, more powerful version of the turbocharged inline-six along with a completely new turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine. The 2021 Supra's more powerful engine comes at a price, though, as the 382-hp six is EPA rated at 22 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway.

The 2020 Supra, with its 335-hp inline-six, was EPA rated at 24 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway. The new, more powerful model therefore loses 2 mpg in the city and 1 mpg on the highway. Keep in mind, though, the Supra is still more efficient than the Chevy Corvette, the Porsche Cayman GTS, and the BMW M2.

fuel-economy-comparison-supra-1587045220.png?crop=0.980xw:0.988xh;0.00850xw,0.png

The 2021 Supra's new engine is the more powerful 382-hp turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six that's found in the Z4 M40i. Along with the upgraded the engine, Toyota also revised the chassis on the 2021 models by adding things like lightweight aluminum braces that tie the strut towers to the radiator support, revised damper tuning, adaptive dampers, differential, and stability control.

We already named the Supra a 10Best Cars winner after a 21-year hiatus. During our testing, we sent a 2020 Supra to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds, however, with the more powerful engine, Toyota is claiming a 3.9-second zero-to-60-mph time. We expect to beat that.
Sponsored

Hakkim23

First Name
Basith
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2002 Toyota Camry
Well at least it still has 30 mpg
I wonder what the fuel economy will be like on the Supra 2.0

Hakkim23

First Name
Basith
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2002 Toyota Camry
It's great to see some updates on the 2021 Supra making it a better car
Hopefully, there will also be a manual transmission as an option

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Always baffles me to see threads on sportscar/supercar forums about MPG. If MPG is important, you're shopping in the wrong market. I couldn't care less if it has 40 MPG, or 10. Not what the car is for.

Mahid_12

First Name
Mahid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Lexus UX250H, 2020 Toyota Supra
Always baffles me to see threads on sportscar/supercar forums about MPG. If MPG is important, you're shopping in the wrong market. I couldn't care less if it has 40 MPG, or 10. Not what the car is for.
I agree with you, but it is a bonus factor for many people. :)

splv

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 IS350
I don't agree that a sports car and excellent MPG are mutually exclusive. Some of us are looking to use this car as a daily driver where MPG does matter.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I don't agree that a sports car and excellent MPG are mutually exclusive. Some of us are looking to use this car as a daily driver where MPG does matter.
Agreed...It's great to own a sports car that I can also use as a daily driver that's fuel efficient when I need it to be when commuting...

My C7 Vette also had great hwy cruising miles averaging ~32 mpg...

Amazing how efficient high performance engines have become these days....

So yes, you can have a best of both worlds in a sports car...

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mine will be used as a daily driver too.
What I was trying to say was if you're ok spending $50-$60k on a car, spending a fraction more per mile shouldn't be a problem.

Doing some quick math, on average MPG, the 2021 Supra will be .5 of a cent more expensive per mile than a 2020, based on a $40 fill from complete bone dry empty.

I think we'll survive :p

Last edited:

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
When you finally get your car you will see the difference between driving aggressively in sport mode & driving nicely in normal mode

Don't get me wrong sport mode is great but I do prefer to go further on a tank of gas than less & certainly wouldn't use sport mode all the time.

With a catted DP, BM3 Stg 2 tune, I can easily get 7.3 liters per 100 kms on a trip, my GTO LS 6 speed would struggle to get 10.5 & is way slower

Our 93 gas here is around $2.25 litre so around $5.11 USD a US gallon & the Supra is $60K USD with the current exchange rate

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
When you finally get your car you will see the difference between driving aggressively in sport mode & driving nicely in normal mode

Don't get me wrong sport mode is great but I do prefer to go further on a tank of gas than less & certainly wouldn't use sport mode all the time.

With a catted DP, BM3 Stg 2 tune, I can easily get 7.3 liters per 100 kms on a trip, my GTO LS 6 speed would struggle to get 10.5 & is way slower

Our 93 gas here is around $2.25 litre so around $5.11 USD a US gallon & the Supra is $60K USD with the current exchange rate
Oh I know all about it lol. I'm originally from the Netherlands where gas is $8 to $10 a gallon and a Supra starts at €80k Euros lol.
That's why I don't sweat it in the States. Gas prices are laughable here.
I've always driven all my cars hard. My Supra will never see 25 MPG lol.
My GTI was rated for 30+ MPG and I got an average of 20 on a good day.
My Wrangler sits in the low teens, my STI in the high teens, my rotary in the low teens, it is what it is. If MPG bothered me, I'd buy a Prius or a Tesla. What's the point of having a performance car, if you're not driving it like one? I'm not saying I go Ken Block, but I definitely drive them hard.

splv

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 IS350
If MPG bothered me, I'd buy a Prius or a Tesla.
Arrogant response as are many of your self-gloating posts. Trust me, big shot, it's not about being able to afford gas. Some of us don't want to fill up after every drive, actually care about how much carbon footprint we are leaving behind, or can appreciate any money saved. I don't think identifying with any of those reasons precludes us from being a car enthusiast.

You drive an RX8. It's clear where you stand with MPG. Let's agree to disagree.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Arrogant response as are many of your self-gloating posts. Trust me, big shot, it's not about being able to afford gas. Some of us don't want to fill up after every drive, actually care about how much carbon footprint we are leaving behind, or can appreciate any money saved. I don't think identifying with any of those reasons precludes us from being a car enthusiast.

You drive an RX8. It's clear where you stand with MPG. Let's agree to disagree.
Lol if you cared about a "Carbon Footprint" you wouldn't even look at a Supra. Nothing arrogant about my post. Just my opinion. Which I'm entitled to. I also drive an FD RX-7. did I mention they're both catless? And premixed. You worry about carbon footprints, I'll make one big enough for the both of us ;)

Oh, the 2021 will get 12 miles less range on a tank of gas.... omg dealbreaker!
Sponsored