Official PHANTOM MATTE GRAY Supra Club Thread

Mk5phtm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra Phantom
It appears that not all brands offer large enough rolls to cover the entire hood. What brand of PPF? May I ask what coverage you got and what it cost?
They used Xpel Stealth and they did it for $2000. They covered the full front nose along with the mirrors and A pillars
Sponsored

Voidec

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium, 2019 BMW X3 M40i, 2018 BMW M4, 2018 BMW M240i Xdrive, 2017 Lexus RC300 F Sport AWD, 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
I spent 6k on Suntek. Most of the car came out flawless. Door handles came out subpar, front bumper could honestly use a touch up, to the rear of the car where the license plate area is came out pretty meh. Iā€™m personally modding and tracking the car so in the end Iā€™m not too concerned about the non perfect state the wrap came out. From what I was told from multiple places that quoted me. None of the brands comes out with rolls big enough for the car and the front bumper is near impossible to do. The templates everyone uses doesn't match the car either. Every other place quoted me above 10k to do the car.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA

Voidec

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium, 2019 BMW X3 M40i, 2018 BMW M4, 2018 BMW M240i Xdrive, 2017 Lexus RC300 F Sport AWD, 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring

PhantomGR

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Phantom Grey 3.0
Hey yā€™all - first post! Just picked up a Phantom Grey a few weeks ago. I havenā€™t been driving it at all and patiently waiting for my appt to get a full xpel wrap to get installed so I can finally enjoy the car. They texted me today saying they found a factory paint issue on the trunk and itā€™s flaking. They think it was either too thin or wasnā€™t prepped well enough. They have done several of these and havenā€™t seen any others do this. Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions on resolving this? Iā€™m hesitant to even bring it up with Toyota because of how difficult these things are to paint. The wrap shop suggested to touch up and wrap over it.
9851A1AA-D43C-41F3-AD84-D1F35C9030B5.jpeg

a90_tay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E92 M3, MKIV TT6, A90 Edition on Order
If they use a touch up then wrap over it then itā€™s 100% going to lift more paint when the wrap is removed.

toyota has a paint warranty just get it booked in and have the boot re-wrapped when itā€™s back. They can do every other part of the car. If Toyota donā€™t get the paint right then just keep complaining until itā€™s right.

did you buy it from the dealer?

as A side note @stormgreysupra on Instagram had a mkiv spoiler painted in the same colour for his car and the paint match looks very good, so it is possible

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Hey yā€™all - first post! Just picked up a Phantom Grey a few weeks ago. I havenā€™t been driving it at all and patiently waiting for my appt to get a full xpel wrap to get installed so I can finally enjoy the car. They texted me today saying they found a factory paint issue on the trunk and itā€™s flaking. They think it was either too thin or wasnā€™t prepped well enough. They have done several of these and havenā€™t seen any others do this. Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions on resolving this? Iā€™m hesitant to even bring it up with Toyota because of how difficult these things are to paint. The wrap shop suggested to touch up and wrap over it.
9851A1AA-D43C-41F3-AD84-D1F35C9030B5.jpeg
Are you the original owner? The last thing you want is for Toyota to blame you or the PPF company for the damage. I would definitely have Toyota look at it. They will want to repair and repaint. Honestly I am surprised the PPF company is willing to work on that. There is substantial risk more paint will lift if the film needs to be removed during installation or in the future. You will be stuck with the PPF company blaming Toyota and Toyota blaming the PPF. You will get stuck in the middle with a bill.

PhantomGR

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Are you the original owner? The last thing you want is for Toyota to blame you or the PPF company for the damage. I would definitely have Toyota look at it. They will want to repair and repaint. Honestly I am surprised the PPF company is willing to work on that. There is substantial risk more paint will lift if the film needs to be removed during installation or in the future. You will be stuck with the PPF company blaming Toyota and Toyota blaming the PPF. You will get stuck in the middle with a bill.
I am the original owner - the car has less than 200 miles on it still so I think I have a pretty good case with Toyota (maybe). Not that Toyota cares, but the wrap shop is the most reputable in the area and they had no issues anywhere else on the car. In fact, the hood and rear bumper, which I believe are the hardest parts to wrap, came out flawless. I've started conversations with the local Toyota dealer as well as have the PPF company reaching out to some high end body shops to see what their recommendation would be. I appreciate your opinions on this.. I'll update once I have a resolution.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
I am the original owner - the car has less than 200 miles on it still so I think I have a pretty good case with Toyota (maybe). Not that Toyota cares, but the wrap shop is the most reputable in the area and they had no issues anywhere else on the car. In fact, the hood and rear bumper, which I believe are the hardest parts to wrap, came out flawless. I've started conversations with the local Toyota dealer as well as have the PPF company reaching out to some high end body shops to see what their recommendation would be. I appreciate your opinions on this.. I'll update once I have a resolution.
Definitely Have Toyota open a claim so there is a paper trail. Getting the opinions of high end body shops is a very good idea. Ultimately you want Toyota behind anything done so you have recourse if needed. Good luck with this.

PhantomGR

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So final outcome update... I called in a favor (I'm in the auto business) and had a local shop paint the trunk for me. Its been re-wrapped and looks perfect. I was hesitant to go through my Toyota dealer only because I wasn't confident in the vendors they'd be using. I know this probably wasn't the preferred route, but, it ended up working out best for me. Appreciate the opinions on here!
Sponsored