Oil Drain Plug Crush Washer From Factory

climhazzard

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Just did my first oil change on my ‘21 supra. Went fairly well including resetting the CBS via BimmerLink.

I think I’d read about this on here somewhere, but my factory drain plug had no crush washer on it. I used the copper washer from the kit when replacing the plug, but sort of surprised there’s nothing on there from the factory.

If you did your own first oil change, did you have a drain plug washer on from the factory? And is your vehicle 2020 or 2021?
Sponsored

OP
OP
climhazzard

climhazzard

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Condition Based Servicing - yep, the maintenance light. It is indeed a feature on BimmerLink. I thought I posted an update on the other thread where we were discussing this when BimmerLink added the feature, apologies if I did not.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Condition Based Servicing - yep, the maintenance light. It is indeed a feature on BimmerLink. I thought I posted an update on the other thread where we were discussing this when BimmerLink added the feature, apologies if I did not.
That’s great!!! I am definitely picking that up!

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Just did my first oil change on my ‘21 supra. Went fairly well including resetting the CBS via BimmerLink.

I think I’d read about this on here somewhere, but my factory drain plug had no crush washer on it. I used the copper washer from the kit when replacing the plug, but sort of surprised there’s nothing on there from the factory.

If you did your own first oil change, did you have a drain plug washer on from the factory? And is your vehicle 2020 or 2021?
When I changed my oil I thought the copper crush washer was also missing from the factory. After the oil drained I could see a circular shape around the drain hole. It almost looked like it was part of the drain pan. But after prying on it with a plastic pry bar it popped off.

The factory crush washer is aluminum, see pic. Im glad I kept trying to find it as I was ready to add the copper one over it. For the record I own a 2021 Premium.

-RJM

86FC46B6-29DE-4447-96E6-EB1B4E5A5F8D.jpeg

OP
OP
climhazzard

climhazzard

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
That is interesting! I didn’t notice anything around the oil pan but I probably should’ve looked a bit closer. The drain plug itself was barely torqued on so I would be kind of surprised if the washer was stuck to the pan, but who knows.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
When I changed my oil I thought the copper crush washer was also missing from the factory. After the oil drained I could see a circular shape around the drain hole. It almost looked like it was part of the drain pan. But after prying on it with a plastic pry bar it popped off.

The factory crush washer is aluminum, see pic. Im glad I kept trying to find it as I was ready to add the copper one over it. For the record I own a 2021 Premium.

-RJM

86FC46B6-29DE-4447-96E6-EB1B4E5A5F8D.jpeg
My exact same experience. I’d put 99% probability yours is also still on the bottom of the pan as well.

OP
OP
climhazzard

climhazzard

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
If that is the case it shall stay there until the next oil change because I’m not dropping 7 quarts of oil to find out :doh:. Hopefully it won’t leak but if it does then I’ll deal with it.

Was the drain plug seemingly only hand tight for you all as well?

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If that is the case it shall stay there until the next oil change because I’m not dropping 7 quarts of oil to find out :doh:. Hopefully it won’t leak but if it does then I’ll deal with it.

Was the drain plug seemingly only hand tight for you all as well?
Mine was’t hand tight but It took minimal effort with a 3/8” ratchet. It was not the recommended 18 ft/lbs.

-RJM

OP
OP
climhazzard

climhazzard

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Appreciate all the feedback. I went for an hour-long drive then contorted under the car with a mirror and fortunately didn’t see any signs of a leak. I did torque it to spec so hopefully that helps either way.

I’ll take a closer look in a year at the next oil change and see what I find ?.

OP
OP
climhazzard

climhazzard

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Well, @Loco38SUP and @jchadwell , you were both spot on. I kept an eye on the drain plug and after about 150 miles after the oil change it began to you have a (very) small drip.

I dropped the oil and the aluminum washer was stuck on the plug this time, along with the copper washer. Lesson learned / warning to all.

Attachments

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well, @Loco38SUP and @jchadwell , you were both spot on. I kept an eye on the drain plug and after about 150 miles after the oil change it began to you have a (very) small drip.

I dropped the oil and the aluminum washer was stuck on the plug this time, along with the copper washer. Lesson learned / warning to all.
Well at least you found it and know its done right this time. ?

-RJM
Sponsored