Oil getting hot quickly

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
I know this has been talked about in some threads already. But I noticed that just after like 5-6 min after a cold start the oil temp already reached 80-90 degrees C (176 - 194 F). It then went up to about 105-110 C (230 F) and stayed there for a while, even with just very light driving. After a LITTLE bit of just faster driving it peaked at around 112-113 C (235 F). Im guessing the coolant doesnt kick in after around 110 C?

Anyways, is this really normal for this car? And has this anything to do with the thin 0W20 oil that it has from factory? I had new oil put in like 2 months ago when I bought the car. Although Im seeing that these temps have been reached by several others too, even up to 135 C (275 F).

Im running a stage 1 tune now at around 440 hp. Do you think its wiser to change to 5W30 oil now when the warmer weather approaches, since you usually stress the car harder during summer time?

And those of you who have changed from 0W20 to 5W30 (or any other), did you notice that the oil temp didnt went up so quickly, and most of all - stayed cooler? Did you log the temp before and after changing?

Should I even be worried about the high temps at all? 😄
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tri5tate

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
Yeah but Im reaching 110-112 (230F) with just light driving, not even near track driving...Im starting to wonder what Im gonna reach when I really push it 🤔

Which oil are you running?

Davidpingu

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FK8 Civic Type R, Mercedes GLC
It would be interesting to compare logs to a standard car but it does seem as though with more modern engines they are designed to run hot. It has something to do with efficiency I think. The quicker the engine warms the quicker the fuel map can be leaned out by the ECU.
Again I’m surmising here but I would imagine that modern oils are also designed to run at these higher temps but I don’t know what the optimum working ranges are, I’m sure others here will.
You may find that while it gets hot quick, the car then manages that temperature range effectively (within reason giving that you’re tuned)

OP
OP
Tri5tate

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
It would be interesting to compare logs to a standard car but it does seem as though with more modern engines they are designed to run hot. It has something to do with efficiency I think. The quicker the engine warms the quicker the fuel map can be leaned out by the ECU.
Again I’m surmising here but I would imagine that modern oils are also designed to run at these higher temps but I don’t know what the optimum working ranges are, I’m sure others here will.
You may find that while it gets hot quick, the car then manages that temperature range effectively (within reason giving that you’re tuned)
Yeah it might be that they can handle this, but I was just chocked over how hot it got after just nanny driving it. 😄

Before yesterday I wasnt able to log it, but tomorrow when I push it harder I'll see what it will reach at max. I never take the cars to track, but I still want it to hold up for heavy use anyway.

Thats why Im just wondering if someone noticed a cooler temp with a change to a thicker oil?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Yeah but Im reaching 110-112 (230F) with just light driving, not even near track driving...Im starting to wonder what Im gonna reach when I really push it 🤔

Which oil are you running?
I'm running LiquiMolly 5w30 Special Tec.

I'll take some logs this AM while I'm out, but I'm guessing the oil is going to get to temp quickly and stay there. I find some comfort in the fact we're both at 230f right on the nose.

OP
OP
Tri5tate

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
I'm running LiquiMolly 5w30 Special Tec.

I'll take some logs this AM while I'm out, but I'm guessing the oil is going to get to temp quickly and stay there. I find some comfort in the fact we're both at 230f right on the nose.
Yeah please just post some logs after 20-30 min light driving.

I'll also post some logs after pushing it more tomorrow.

Reactions: zrk
OP
OP
Tri5tate

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 06.28.16.png

Actually just found this one from a few days ago. Didn't realize I was logging. Just a 20-30 minute cruise, no heavy throttle.
Yeah thats quite a bit cooler than mine then.
Im guessing you dont have any logs when you had the 0W20 oil.

Either way Im gonna change to a thicker one pretty damn soon.
If 208 vs 230 makes any real difference for long term use - thats out of my league of knowledge when it comes to this motor. 230 isnt really that high, just wondering what this will peak at. Better try it tomorrow 🤓

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
OP.. are you an elephant? o_O

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah thats quite a bit cooler than mine then.
Im guessing you dont have any logs when you had the 0W20 oil.

Either way Im gonna change to a thicker one pretty damn soon.
If 208 vs 230 makes any real difference for long term use - thats out of my league of knowledge when it comes to this motor. 230 isnt really that high, just wondering what this will peak at. Better try it tomorrow 🤓
It's also 30(f) degrees outside.

geert.bieseman

First Name
Geert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan GT-R R33 ; Toyota Supra MKV
Yes completely normal

Modern engines like the B58, during coldstart... the cooling circuit gets bypassed.
Only when the engine is warm, the full coolant kicks in.

Old engines don't have those 'smart heat management valves/system' in place.
Mostly to do with emissions (reason why the oil is also hotter during normal operation on modern engines then older engines).

See explanation below from a B58 manual

Figure
coolant.jpg

A = Cold start
B = Warm-up phase
C = Operating temperature
D = Maximum cooling requirement

Cold-start phase, Figure A
The short-circuit line is 100% open in the cold-start phase. The coolant connections towards the
radiator and heating are closed

Warm-up phase, Figure B
During the warm-up phase the connection to the heating is opened in addition to the short-circuit line. The line from the radiator remains closed.

Engine at operating temperature, Figure C
Figure C shows the control in normal conditions (operating temperature). The cross-sections to
the corresponding connections are opened to a greater or lesser extent depending on the coolant temperature, so that coolant can flow through the minor and main coolant circuit and the heater circuit.

Maximum cooling requirement, Figure D
The radiator connection is opened by 100% and the short-circuit line is completely closed to provide maximum cooling at high dynamic loads and/or high ambient temperatures. In this process, the heat exchanger for the heating system is blocked by 90% to be able to provide the radiator with even more volumetric flow.
The coolant connection to the expansion tank is not controlled. As a result, it is permanently open so that any coolant demand in the coolant circuit can be compensated for by the expansion tank at any time.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes completely normal

Modern engines like the B58, during coldstart... the cooling circuit gets bypassed.
Only when the engine is warm, the full coolant kicks in.

Old engines don't have those 'smart heat management valves/system' in place.
Mostly to do with emissions (reason why the oil is also hotter during normal operation on modern engines then older engines).

See explanation below from a B58 manual

Figure
coolant.jpg

A = Cold start
B = Warm-up phase
C = Operating temperature
D = Maximum cooling requirement

Cold-start phase, Figure A
The short-circuit line is 100% open in the cold-start phase. The coolant connections towards the
radiator and heating are closed

Warm-up phase, Figure B
During the warm-up phase the connection to the heating is opened in addition to the short-circuit line. The line from the radiator remains closed.

Engine at operating temperature, Figure C
Figure C shows the control in normal conditions (operating temperature). The cross-sections to
the corresponding connections are opened to a greater or lesser extent depending on the coolant temperature, so that coolant can flow through the minor and main coolant circuit and the heater circuit.

Maximum cooling requirement, Figure D
The radiator connection is opened by 100% and the short-circuit line is completely closed to provide maximum cooling at high dynamic loads and/or high ambient temperatures. In this process, the heat exchanger for the heating system is blocked by 90% to be able to provide the radiator with even more volumetric flow.
The coolant connection to the expansion tank is not controlled. As a result, it is permanently open so that any coolant demand in the coolant circuit can be compensated for by the expansion tank at any time.
This could be 100% bullshit and I'd believe it because diagrams.
Sponsored